Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
OLED is still too expensive and in short supply from a production standpoint. Apple gets their displays from Samsung and LG. LG uses all their capacity for larger form factor Tvs and monitors. An OLED manufacturer would have to be willing to do production for these smaller devices and it would require a premium. I think that premium could easily be in the 200$ range for a device like the ipad. I don't know that people would want to pay it. And IPS LCD is REALLY good at this point.

Also, don't forget that REPAIRS would all be much more expensive, either user or apple provided repairs.

I think we won't see OLED next year for these devices yet, could be easily 2-3 years out - if at all.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I've slated the RAM but I'll not criticise the absence of OLED displays in an iPad. We tend to keep tablets for 2 or 3 years and use them for long periods. Burn in is a real factor and LCD gives me peace of mind. So long as it's IPS and of a decent resolution I actually prefer LCD on a tablet.

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
Pretty clear why OLED is not featured on this iPad. So they can save it for a future version as an incentive for you to upgrade. This generation’s incentive is the bezellessness.

Same reason why iPhone Xs does not have ProMotion. Its incentive was the introduction of the max size.

kahuna2793

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
So cal
Probably save OLED for next year with another price hike. I will get this years iPad Pro and next years iPad Pro too.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
oh yeah it will be soooo expensive

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/tablets-with-amoled-display

AMOLED is OLED with an additional layer.

$500..

You do realize Samsung makes the vast majority of mobile OLED displays and doesnt mark them up for their own devices right? They can install them at cost in their own devices.

Apple and 3rd parties are at the mercy of whatever Samsung marks them up at. If its a $175 display to Samsung cost, but Apple has to pay $250 to Samsung (random numbers no idea what the markup is at that supply level), nearly a 50% markup, it may not be financially feasible to put it in their device.

Taking into account the iPhone X display at 5.8" cost $110 at Apple's cost per the breakdown build numbers floating around; so figure a much larger 11-12.9" display is at least double. So $250+ may not be such a crazy number what a tablet OLED display would cost Apple.

HUGE difference.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Samsung makes their own displays so they can put them in their devices for cheaper than Apple. Apple also always charges extra then on top of that becaus they ‘need’ high margins.

True, but Apple buys their OLED screens mostly from Samsung and they seem to be doing fine with smartphone OLED costs. Well they did drastically raise the prices, so yeah I'm sure a price raise on an OLED ipad is unavoidable. I'm sure they could also make a deal with LG, but I also have read that they are working on being able to make screens in house. No matter the solution there will be a price raise, my only point was that I don't see price being a barrier to them implementing an OLED screen, even if they didn't raise the price. Although that won't happen, Apple products have the prices raised on them just because the wind blows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.