LOL! Why the disappointment on the 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I thought you all wanted a bigger iPhone, well, Apple answered your prayers. Now, many here are disappointed. Pretend Apple never offered the 6+ and only unveiled the 6. You knew this would happen based on all the leaks. I've never came across so many threads on people's dislike for the larger iPhone as I did since the unveiling. :D Would you say the 4.7" is still too big?

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I don't think the fact that it is bigger is what everyone is complaining about, its the horrible design. Many assumed Apple would re-design the phone with the iPhone 5/5s in mind. When they clearly didn't, people started to react negatively. Personally, I wish they would have gone back to the beautiful iPhone 4S glass design and made that bigger.

Many also do not seem to care for the antenna bands on the back of the 6/6+ either. This I do not understand, as the vast majority of the crybabies will put a cover on the back of their phones. Of course, if these "ugly antenna bands" get better reception then who cares right? Apple desperately needed to improve reception (especially for T-Mobile users).

3. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I think everyone wanted a bigger screen without the awful bezel.

Off the top of my head its taller than the Note 4. It just looks weird.

4. dojoman macrumors 65816

I was expecting much better design but it looks incomplete. Ugly antenna plastic piece, and camera sticking out like sore thumb. Not a good design, I think Jon Ive was busy with iWatch, and let some Apple intern designed this thing.

5. mgs315 macrumors member

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think a good portion of the people complaining are not the same as the people who wanted a larger iPhone, there were plenty of people who were fine with the size it was who are now complaining. And yes I'd say the 4.7" is too big as well.

7. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Oh I see. So it's the design of the phone in itself. Had Apple redesigned it, it would be more accepted. If you ever noticed my username, my posts have always been about a total redesign on Apple's part. To me, the 6/6+ is a hybrid design of all iPhones since Day 1. It has always been this minimalistic zen approach to design. Personally, the 6/6+ design isn't too shabby.

With all this negative talk on the 6+, I'm now questioning if it will be too big for me, and maybe, opt for a 4.7". I won't know until the 19th.

8. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

I thought the same thing about ives.

9. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Rule of thumb; can't please everyone. ;)

10. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

people nitpick so many little dumb things. Im super excited for this phone. been on the iPhone train since 3g. its a huge upgrade. landscape mode, higher res screen, better camera, huge battery. I seriously can't stand people that nitpick about dumb things and don't appreciate what we have.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think if we continue with large format smart phones then you are going to start seeing more guys donning man purses. The era of a phone that has to be small enough to fit in a pocket may be coming to an end.

I absolutely hate man purses so I will always use a tiny phone, even if it doesn't have the most up to date features. It's a phone, and for many a watch, but not much else. If I want a laptop, I get a laptop and some large phones are like small laptops.

12. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Well that's why Apple put out two phones. I will go for the 5.5" model. I have used every Samsung Note phone and I love how large everything is. I just hate samsung's awful touch wiz UI, and how grainy amoled screens look.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

As long as they keep a 5c or maybe 5s option 4" permanently.

I never asked for a larger iPhone! I was asking for the 4s form factor back, but I now think the 5/5c/5s is perfect.
    The 6 would not fit in any of my pockets.

14. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

The bottom bezel is fine.

I just can't see why they have such a big top bezel, on either the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.

I'm sure they have their reasons from an engineering POV, but it seems like they could have tried a lot harder to shave some off the top.

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think many of the fans of Apple are incredibly nit-picky and between being spoiled by Apple and wanting something better than the competition, the nit-pickiness will always be a part of the equation.

On one hand we think we have the best stuff, but on the other hand we crucify Apple for leaving stuff out (not enough RAM, screen too small, too few ports, not enough colors, price too high, etc). The bitching is what keeps Apple on their toes knowing they will never satisfy us. If you have somebody who likes a Dell or Microsoft product, they buy it and live with it and usually don't complain much so those companies do the least possible for any launch. The model of the mediocre product works exceptionally well for Dell and Microsoft and they keep it up since they are a business at the end of the day. Apple could probably make even more if they cut just a few corners but see profit and innovation as equally important factors. Apple's image is based on innovation and it's the only thing that sets the company apart so I don't expect cutting corners and quality from them as long as they have Cook as CEO.

16. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm thrilled about the 6+ personally. Not a big fan of the bezels but it's not a deal breaker for sure. Can't wait to get my hands on one. :)

:apple:

17. zipa macrumors 65816

There is no 5.5" iPhone. Apple is just trolling you. If you order one, you'll receive a box with trollface in it.

18. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

5.5" iPhone 6+ 64GB + 15" rMBP is going to be such a beautiful mobile combo. Ridding the iPad 3 as fast possible as we speak.

19. ender21 macrumors 6502

Second thoughts here too, though I'm a tech whore so I know what I'll end up doing.

But the 6+ is nearly a half-inch taller than the Note 3. I definitely thought they'd slim down the bezel to mitigate that somewhat.

I bought a Note3 when it was released because I wanted 4K video capture and thought it might be time to leave the Apple ecosystem. But having a family, photostream/videos/etc + all those apps I need to re-purchase have left it collecting dust (in case anyone is interested in buying, it's seldom-used! ;-).

That said, I'll still get the 6+ as the phone sits on a desk most of the time anyway, but the usefulness for pictures/video that will come with that screen size will (hopefully) outweigh the bulk. If need be I'll likely hang on to my 5S and just sim-swap as-needed.

20. HobeSoundDarryl, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    You guys are hilarious. Do you see the Android crowd- some of which have >6" phones- having to carry man purses? No. So where are their phones? They fit right into pockets. Go to a store that sells phones that doesn't have an Apple logo and try fitting floor models of phones up to 6" into your pocket. Even Walmart has a big display. You'll find they go right in. Yes, they are bigger than iPhone 5s but they are not remotely close to iPad Minis.

So you've tried this or are you imagining it? Were you there yesterday to see if the 6 could fit? The 4.7" is not that much bigger than the 5s and the 5.5" is only 1 cm wider and 2cm taller than the 4.7". I think when you actually see them in person, you'll find that they both will easily fit in your pockets unless you have very small pockets.

In my world, my back pockets are smaller than my front pockets. I'd carry an iPhone in those front pockets. I have made and printed the PDFs that properly illustrate the sizes of the iPhones. The "normal sized" man's wallet that easily fits in my back pocket is just a bit wider than the 5.5" iPhone. That means the width of the 5.5" would fit in a back pocket as easily as a wallet. That wallet is thicker than the thickness of the 5.5" too.

So, what about the height? Certainly the 5.5" is taller than the average size wallet, but only about 2 inches taller. Unfolded American Cash like a $1 bill is just about 2mm shorter than an iPhone 5.5". Can you fit American cash (height) in your pocket? In a deeper, bigger front pocket, I expect the 5.5" to easily fit right in. You guys need to download the PDF https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lv2phny3oiytrf/iPhone6RelSizesWiPadMini.pdf?dl=0, print the actual sizes of the iPhones, cut them out and see for yourself. They are a lot bigger than the 5s on a relative basis but they should still easily fit in pockets and not require man purses :rolleyes:

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

The 5c is the maximum phone size that I can comfortably fit into my front pocket.
    My Lumia 900 is already a bit too large.
    I am a 6'3 man and I could theoretically fit larger phones in my pockets, but I carry other things around, too and find large phones uncomfortable.

I am considering the 6+ as an iPad mini replacement though. Have to see it first.

22. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

23. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Meister, I have to think its the pants then. I'm only 2 inches taller than you. I don't seek out special pants with huge pockets. And I carry other things around too. I can't think of any pants I've owned in which an unfolded U.S. dollar bill would not go right in- even back pockets. Normal-sized men's wallets have always fit into any pants (pockets) I've owned, but normal-sized wallets are wider than even the 5.5" iPhone.

I have to believe you are buying special pants that have atypically small pockets. But that doesn't matter. The nice thing about Apple's decision to launch multiple sizes is that we all have CHOICES about what works best for us. 5.5" too big? No problem, there's also a 4.7" and 4" phones available. And vice versa.

24. Viscerol macrumors newbie

Wow. Horrible design, awful bezel, incomplete, ugly antenna lines. You are the same people who will buy one anyway, or weren't ever gonna buy one to begin with. The ones who will buy one will most likely put a god awful case to protect your precious investment anyway. It could be worse.

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

In my world and among my peers I can even fit a 7" inch smart phone in pocket:

http://fancydresscostumes.co.uk/clown-fancy-dress-costume.html