Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
This is Great!

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article298101.ece
Another patient being treated at UCH, 52-year-old Tadeuz Gryglewiecz from Cricklewood, north London, had been sitting at the back of the No 30 bus but had moved to a seat in the middle shortly before the explosion.

His friend Harriette Spierings, 44, from Tooting, said she was convinced that decision had saved his life.

"Initially he was at the back of the bus then a seat came free in the middle and he moved," said Ms Spierings. "That was a very lucky move."

Mr Gryglewiecz, a civil engineer originally from Poland, also escaped from the perforated eardrums suffered by many of those who had been sitting near him, thanks to the iPod he was listening to when the detonation occurred.

"A consultant said he was also very lucky to have been using an iPod," said Ms Spierings. "Some people suffer from perforated eardrums in explosions but he did not lose his hearing because he was wearing his iPod headphones."​
What an advertising opportunity! :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Not sure you want to associate the iPod with terrorist bombings. :rolleyes: And to think the EU was concerned iPods damaged hearing.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
It looks like the virus writers are taking advantage already. The BBC is reporting that an email is doing the rounds claiming to show amateur video footage of the aftermath of one of the tube bombs – however, opening the attached file installs a Trojan.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Jaffa Cake said:
It looks like the virus writers are taking advantage already. The BBC is reporting that an email is doing the rounds claiming to show amateur video footage of the aftermath of one of the tube bombs – however, opening the attached file installs a Trojan.

Evidently one attack wasn't good enough for some people.... :rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
MongoTheGeek said:
It was probably someone at the base commander level who wanted to never be promoted again ;) and was looking for a new way to screw the pooch.

I believe this was the initial command from Thursday when the advice given to everyone was not to come to London. 'Area Closed' said the signs on the motorways.

The command has now been officially rescinded. The link also agrees with you, Mongo, that it was made by a risk-averse mid-level commander!

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Well, hooray for British Intelligence. Looks like they're closing in on identifying the ratbastards that did this. If it turns out they aren't all dead, I hope they force them to go to the bomb sites and experience the sights and smell of the horror. There's obviously no punishment that could possibly fit the crime, but that'd be a start.

Not sure I understand all these controlled detonations. I thought the idea was, you find a suspicious package and blow it up in order to prevent it from accidentally blowing up on you. But conducting a controlled explosion so you can go into a house? That I'm unclear on.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Dave00 said:
Not sure I understand all these controlled detonations. I thought the idea was, you find a suspicious package and blow it up in order to prevent it from accidentally blowing up on you. But conducting a controlled explosion so you can go into a house? That I'm unclear on.

In a controlled explosion it is not the explosives (if any) in the package that are set off. The robots or people usually use either; a shotgun, high pressure water or a small explosive device to detroy the trigger mechanism, fuse and explsoive bundle in the package.

by using force they control they prevent the bomb from going off making it safe to enter. The controlled explosion is usually much smaller than the bomb itself. In the case of some of the IRA car bombs the area has been evacuated and the bomb itself set off. This would also been considered controlled because the timing and surrounding were decided by the bomb squad

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Dave00 said:
Well, hooray for British Intelligence. Looks like they're closing in on identifying the ratbastards that did this. If it turns out they aren't all dead, I hope they force them to go to the bomb sites and experience the sights and smell of the horror. There's obviously no punishment that could possibly fit the crime, but that'd be a start.

I've been thinking about this. The punishment needs to be something that will set an example. While it is tempting to go after these peoples families, that would be wrong to punish people who unknowingly let it happen. I figure anyone involved in perpetrating this should be sentenced to 20-30 years of hard labor. The hard labor would be in a South Carolina pig farm. :D

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
MongoTheGeek said:
I've been thinking about this. The punishment needs to be something that will set an example. While it is tempting to go after these peoples families, that would be wrong to punish people who unknowingly let it happen. I figure anyone involved in perpetrating this should be sentenced to 20-30 years of hard labor. The hard labor would be in a South Carolina pig farm. :D
That's inhuman. You vicious bastard! :D

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
MongoTheGeek said:
[...]While it is tempting to go after these peoples families, that would be wrong to punish people who unknowingly let it happen.
Not only is it unfair to the innocent, it has been tried and (not surprisingly) has the opposite of the intended effect. (See the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.)

This might not be a bad time to bring back the stockades. At any rate, here's to hoping there's a nice domino effect to roll up those responsible. There's already been one arrest.

Dave

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
MongoTheGeek said:

Never going to happen.

The ACLU will be screaming blue murder about cruel and unusual punishment, ignoring of course the carnage that such inhuman acts have caused thousands of innocent families.

Of course it would also help if the world condemned - in absolutely no uncertain terms - that murderers are not martyrs, 72 virgins or not, and glorifying them and naming streets after them is not acceptable under any circumstances.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
absolut_mac said:
Never going to happen.

The ACLU will be screaming blue murder about cruel and unusual punishment, ignoring of course the carnage that such inhuman acts have caused thousands of innocent families.

Of course it would also help if the world condemned - in absolutely no uncertain terms - that murderers are not martyrs, 72 virgins or not, and glorifying them and naming streets after them is not acceptable under any circumstances.

That reminds me. PsyOps has been the major down fall of the war in Iraq. If we controlled the airwaves better each of these suicide bombers would be reported in Arabic as heretics fighting the spread of Islam. Osama would be a pretender to the throne of the Prophet and eventually the news would say that he was claiming to be the Prophet.

Yes I know they would never be sent to a pig farm. Just a fantasy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.