Long POSTing... if you want to call it that.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryannazaretian, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

So I've noticed on youtube videos that some MacBook Pro's take longer to 'POST' than others.

Some are fast like the one on the left. Mine is slow like the MacBook on the right.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmyrGAmiYHM

On all the videos on youtube, the ones that are slow like mine are the Late 2008 MacBook Pro's, whereas the faster ones are the 2009 and newer models.

Here's a fast 15" MBP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N6X9zpBdfQ

The reason why I bring this up... I recently got a SSD. The longest part of the boot process is waiting for the screen to come on and then the following white screen.

It's even slower trying to boot anything other than OSX (aka Windows 7). It will go to a black flashing cursor for a few seconds before the Windows logo will appear.

Anything to make it faster? I've been looking into rEFIt and related commands, but I haven't found any directly relating to making it faster.

Also, if anyone has a better word other than POSTing, let me know, and I'll change it, because I know it's not a BIOS, but I don't know the correct term for EFI.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can try this:

System Preferences > Start Up Disk > select Mac OS X

3. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

No better. To give stats, it takes 15 seconds to get to the Apple logo, and then 15 more to fully load the desktop. It's even worse with Windows. About 25 seconds to get to the Windows logo, then 15 to load.

It takes 8.5 seconds from pushing the power button until the screen turns on. Then it sits at the white screen for 6.5 seconds before doing anything.

4. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Found a really weird issue. I took out the optical drive a few minutes ago because it's dead. I thought maybe it was causing the slow downs.

Well, OSX is the same, but BootCamp gets stuck on the black screen for a really long time before actually loading windows.

See here. Feel free to skip to the end. Sorry I'm so quiet. I am tired and ready to get to bed. I saw the email saying that someone responded so I tried that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcpQZrF2Ewk

5. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I know that I can just plug in the optical drive and it will probably fix the problem.

I'm now kind of worried about adding a second hard drive. I really hope it doesn't do that.