Long term Brydge Keyboard users

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by blwade, Jul 10, 2017.

1. blwade macrumors 6502

I find myself constantly going back and forth on a keyboard to go with my new 12.9 IPP I have ordered (and waiting on delivery!).

I love the idea of the smart connector, but due to all the downfalls of the keyboards available for it, I can't justify getting one.

I want something that is going to feel solid working from the couch on my lap and I would love a keyboard that is easily removable so I can use the IPP without it.

This is what brought me to the Brydge.

Anyone out there been using a Brydge keyboard for a while and have comments on how well it holds up over time? (Specifically the 12.9 IPP) I worry about the hinges becoming lose over time..

2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I had one for about 6 months but sold it a few months ago and instead decided to go with an Apple Magic Keyboard.

The quality of the Brydge is great. It looks and feels like something Apple would have made. The hinges are as good as those on a MacBook, so no need to worry. I decided to sell mine because I never use it on my lap, and always at my desk. So a separate bluetooth keyboard with a stand seemed like a better idea.

Just one thing to keep in mind is you cannot use a case with the Brydge or else the iPad won't fit in the hinge slots. So best to get a laptop sleeve.

3. blwade thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response!

I have considered the case issue.. I was debating buying a cheap one from Amazon that allows a Smart Keyboard and seeing if I can cut indentions for the hinges.. but I'm sure I'll love using it without a case and have also considered a skin. Is there enough wiggle room in the hinge for a skin and glass screen protector?

4. IamDave macrumors regular

IamDave

I bought a Brydge last year for my iPad Air 2. Haven't used it much as I only had it two months before I sold the Air 2. As has been said though the hinges seem very strong and unlikely to wear quickly and the whole keyboard, for that matter always looked and felt very well built.

I have been "trialling" the keyboard with my 10.5" pro (to see if I'm going to get another Brydge when they release one) and can confirm you can fit an iPad with a glass screen protector in the hinges. The hinges can actually be adjusted slightly by bending them in/out to get the right level of grip so you shouldn't have any problems with a screen protector.

5. markusbeutel macrumors regular

Hinges remained firm for me - found that the Brydge 12.9 has probably the worst Bluetooth typing experience out of any keyboard I've used so far though. Constantly disconnected, and you really need to hit the keys hard to trigger them, especially shift and enter.

It's like they blew their entire budget on the look and feel of the chassis, and then realized - oh yeah, the keyboard...

Key travel was also uneven on both that I've owned. Went back to ASK and Logi slim combo - and the typing experience is sooooo much better. Won't go back to Bluetooth again.

6. IamDave macrumors regular

IamDave

Thinking on the comments above I should also add that I've found the typing experience a bit hit and miss with the Brydge. By this I largely mean the fact that it tends to double type a number of characters at random intervals or very occasionally doesn't pick up a keystroke at all and this does make trying to type out documents etc a pain in the backside. That being said I previously had a Zagg keyboard which did similar i I remember righty so could be true of many (if not all) Bluetooth keyboards. I am tempted to try the ASK and see what it is like in this respect though it may take a little adjusting to having no function keys but its not the end of the world.

7. markusbeutel macrumors regular

Yep - I'm using a hybrid approach right now with the keyboard portion of the Logi slim combo, and the back case of the UAG as the back case of the LSC is a $5 piece of plastic with a squeaky kickstand.

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I will mention that I never had any of the issues that you mention. The keyboard never disconnected once in the 6 months that I had it, and the typing experience was fine.

However, one thing I did notice is that after about 5-10 minutes of inactivity, the keyboard will go into some sort of power saving mode. Then to wake it up you must first press a key and wait about a second or two, and that first key press does not register as a typed key and only serves to wake up the keyboard. Compare this to the Apple Magic Keyboard which also uses bluetooth, and it works much better -- the Magic Keyboard wakes up instantly when I press the first key and that key does register as a key press, so you can basically just start typing and it wakes up again. You would think this would mean that the Magic Keyboard gets poor battery life, but just the opposite -- the Brydge lasted me for about 2-3 months on a charge, while the Magic Keyboard is going on 5 months with about 25% still left. Also, a nice feature of the Magic Keyboard is that you can see the battery level in the iOS battery widget.

9. blwade thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm glad to hear that it sounds like a defect if it's doing that.. it had me worried!

I strongly considered the magic keyboard + canopy, but I'm worried I'm going to want to use it on my lap too much to use that combo.. maybe after I have the iPad for a while, I'll get a better feel of my true use case.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2017 ---
    How is typing on that keyboard when on your lap with nothing to rest your palm on? That was what I was worried about that keyboard..

10. markusbeutel macrumors regular

Not great on your lap - you gotta be imaginative with positioning - definitely worse than a Surface Pro experience. Really nice on a desk though. 12.9 much better than the 10.5 though.