Longest trip you have taken w/o using plane or car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Apr 16, 2008.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

As oil reaches $115 a barrel, I was wondering what kind of trips people have taken that haven't used either planes or cars?

My personal best isn't really that far, from Paris to Regensburg by train, a little bit shy of 700km.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Paris to Austria by train (1000km) and Cannes to Austria by train (730km).

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

A bus ride from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur - approx. 1180km.

Never again!

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No cars or planes? Hmmm, well over the course of a month I bussed down the east coast of Australia....

5. bartelby macrumors Core

New York -> Chicago -> San Francisco by train.

It was ok.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Took a overnight train from Donestk to Kiev. Distance of approximately 730km or 440 miles.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

In Toronto, I walked from Front and Jarvis to Yonge and Sheppard all the way up Yonge Street. It's about 15 km or almost 10 miles.

Beat that hippies!

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Traveled from Bawku, Ghana, to the capital of Accra by bus...That's basically all the way across the country, from near the Northern border with Burkina Faso the Southern coast. The whole trip took around 18 hours, including unexpected stops and delays and such. The concept of a consistent and accurate timetable for a journey did not seem to register in Ghana--it must be my own Western-centricism that I expected some modicum of a schedule to be a universally-demanded concept.

It was an experience, all in all, and was followed by another 15 hours or so bumming around the airport in Accra with almost no money.

9. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

from london ontario -> to halifax -> to BC -> then home

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Took a train from London to Dover, a hydrofoil from Dover to Calais, a train from Calais to Paris, and a train from Paris to Frankfurt. No idea how far that is.

Do cruises count. Took a cruise from Miami to Key West to Cancun and back to Miami.
    Also took a cruise from Honolulu to each of the larger islands and back to Oahu.

11. Motley macrumors 6502

About 700 miles around MN and WI by bicycle over the course of a week. Stayed at campgrounds sleeping in tents. To be fair, our luggage traveled by van to each campground so it's not like I carried everything with me.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sounds like a great trip, for whoever is driving the van.:D

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Personal trip? About 225 miles. From Springfield to St. Louis, Missouri on a bus. It was the night that my mom passed away.

I have taken a couple trips via coach bus with my youth group that were quite a bit farther.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Amsterdam to Rotterdam to Antwerp to Brussels to Rome to Venice to Florence to Paris to Madrid to Barcelona to Geneva to Bern to Copenhagen to Oslo to Stockholm to Helsinki to Stockholm.

Roughly 5k miles as the crow flies.

15. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hmmm, i once went fishin up a mountain, we must have walked liek 10kms up and 10 back down but thats about it..I ve always wanted to bike far, I once biked from north of toronto to downtown, i have no idea howmany kms that is...

16. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Edmonton, AB to Jasper, AB then to Vancouver BC by train. Takes 24 hours, not sure how far that was. Also did the return journey a few years later.

When I was 16 I biked from Akron, OH to Huntingdon, PA in 4 days (something around 250 miles).

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Used to take Amtrak every christmas from Philly to just above Miami. It was nice:D

18. bartelby macrumors Core

I've walked from Wadebridge to Padstow and back (around 12 miles) and from Cardiff back to Newport (about 14 miles).

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I took the plane option for that journey.

Bangkok to Surat Thani via train 640km overnight sleeper, was pretty fun and not bad at all to be honest.

Legs - It was about 18 miles across London one day a couple years back.

Bike - 40 miles approx

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

I once rode my bike from Chicago to San Francisco with some friends. Long trip, but well worth it.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Round trip from Tampa, Grand Cayman Islands, Cozumel, New Orleans, back to Tampa on a cruise. But those ships use more fuel than anything else probably, so I don't think that's quite hitting the point.

Longest trip without any sort of gas using vehicle? Probably the walk from my desk to my car :D I'm not giving up my car, ever. Besides, I need one where I live.

23. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Does a Greyhound bus count? If so from here to New York City, so about 703 miles. I've never been on a train, or a plane for that matter.

24. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oh wair by greyhound? i ve gone from toronto to NYC many times

25. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Glasgow - London by train, 401 miles exactly on the WCML.

I've been on a boat around the Carribean from Miami to Martinique, no idea how far it is, somewhere around 1500 miles...?

In my yoof during the summer holidays I would ride my bike from Rutherglen to Loch Lomond, a round trip of 60 miles.

*Edit* Oh, forgot I went to Italy by bus, that was 1300 miles.