Longest you ever left your macbook/MBP on...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rotary8, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Rotary8 macrumors regular

... obviously, without powering down even for a few minutes. Reason I ask is I now currently own two macs and plan to leave my MBP home so I can VNC into it with my sr macbook whenever I'm traveling. I've left my MBP on for as long as 24 hours at a time before letting it rest but, am interested to know how it'll perform under long and stressful situations.

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Mine is up almost 24/7. If I'm on the go its only in sleep. I only shut it down maybe, maybe, once a week. Usually its always doing something to, ripping, burning, converting, playing music, all sorts of things.

I actually turn off my desktop more than my MBP.

I use Fan Control and set the values low so that it keeps nice and cool.
    Haven't had trouble yet!

3. Rotary8 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a mid 2006 model, 2.16ghz duocore which is known to run a little hotter. maybe i'd benefit from a laptop cooler which is placed under the macbook.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I use my MB as a desktop and hardly ever turn it off, it works 24/7 for weeks or months on end. The only reason that I ever shut it down is if there is a problem and shutdown is the only way out (that has happened only a few times since I have owned it). I have probably also shut it down a very few times when taking it somewhere (no more than 3-4 times).

5. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I have the same one, i've had it up without sleep for like 48 hours but i never feel good longer than that.

When you are using VNC does your computer have to be awake for it to work, or can it be sleeping, then you wake it up when you VNC...?

6. deggs37 macrumors member

I only restart when an update comes out that requires me to shut it off.

7. Rotary8 thread starter macrumors regular

I've only played around with ARD thus far on a local network. I'm currently trying to figure out ways to set port forwarding on my router as well as get a script so I forward myself a new IP.

Anyway, I set my MBP so that it never sleeps as long as the lid is open. I'm more concerned about the screen so I turn that off.

8. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

probably went weeks without restarting my powerbook.

9. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I've left mine on maybe for 72 hours with no interruptions

I wouldn't worry too much. If it breaks and you have a backup, applecare will fix it or give you a new one, so that's a good thing lol.

10. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

A month if not more (back when every Tiger update broke something, so I didn't update for months)

11. Bow Rekk macrumors member

I'm on 8 days at the moment. It probably won't go off again until I go home from uni for christmas (9th). No problems here with that. C2d 2.16 MBP with only 1 gig of ram.

12. n00basaur macrumors regular

13. Draddy macrumors regular

14. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

My current uptime is 11 days. I have left it up for many more days than that. Granted, half that time it's asleep, but you can leave it on for a long time.

15. f1 macrumors 6502

If you count having your macbook in sleep mode than mine has been on since August 27, 2007 with the exception for a few crashes and software updates.

16. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

My MBP has been on for months. Dunno exact time. Usually I only restart for updates but haven't done any recent.

17. Mac6272 macrumors member

The computers have to be on and can't be on sleep or else it will undetectable on the network ;)

18. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Mine's currently acting as a DTR, so I've only ever turned it off for the occasional system update or while in transit (to the Apple Store for a case repair!)

19. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

hah, pretty much :D My MacBook is a kernel virgin thus far though

20. sk8r527 macrumors member

21. redsoxunixgeek macrumors regular

redsoxunixgeek

I am notorious for leaving mine on all the time, usually i just close the lid and let it go.
    I shut it down every sunday and reboot it before i fall asleep, but that is i about it.

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I put mine to sleep when I leave the house. It only takes two seconds for it to wake up and all my apps are still open. There have been a few times when I closed the lid and it didn't sleep so it stayed on anyways for about 10 hours. Other than that though it sleeps like I said.

23. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

2 months and still running, on as in on all the way... it is pretty much sitting on my desk or my couch for the past 2 months.

Didn't even applied the latest 10.4.11 updates yet, at least until I get a set of replacement discs ready, because as we all know, unlike Microsoft Apple frequently corrupts and destroys your data with a rushed update, only to quietly pull it and re-release a new update later.

Hit a nerve? Hey, cannot deny it is true.

24. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

My MBP is my main and only machine. I leave it on 24/7. The only time it even gets restarted is for System Updates.

25. Rotary8 thread starter macrumors regular

Just installed smcfancontrol and so far at 3000rpm's it's keeping the mbp relatively cool. I don't care about battery life since I made it my desktop now and will be left on 24/7.