Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I just watched Marques Brownlee’s unboxing of the 12 Pro Pacific Blue and 12 Product Red.
The PB looks great on my television. I would go for it.
I saw that too. The blue is nice, but I agree with him on the product red....it is very pale and almost peach looking.

Reactions: ct2k7 and Geert76

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When I am using my phone, I don't think I've ever thought about the color on the back. Am I in the minority?
Not sure you are…but a majority of phone users place their phones face down when not using them. If you have a clear case (or no case) then there's the color.

I could see your statement, assuming you are ALSO in the minority (like me) that places their phone down on the back.

Reactions: Geert76

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have lots of faith in my hands. My toddler’s hands though...
When my kids were toddlers they had their hands gently smacked a few times. I also had to redirect my daughter more than once by picking her up and moving her elsewhere in the room. They eventually got respect for other people's stuff programmed into their brains. :D

MacStreamer

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2020
A premium color is a color that when you look at it exhudes a premium feel that looks like the money I paid for it.
The 12 literally looks like something that I’d expect from a low end android.

i shouldn’t say premium color. It just looks cheap. And not apple like.
You think it looks cheap because the 12 doesn't have the matte back, it has nothing to do with the color. So what if it's shiny. I'm sure those who buy bright red sports cars don't think that's a cheap looking color.
[automerge]1603229970[/automerge]
Not sure you are…but a majority of phone users place their phones face down when not using them. If you have a clear case (or no case) then there's the color.

I could see your statement, assuming you are ALSO in the minority (like me) that places their phone down on the back.
The last time I put my phone face down was the X and it got scratched up pretty quickly.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You think it looks cheap because the 12 doesn't have the matte back, it has nothing to do with the color. So what if it's shiny. I'm sure those who buy bright red sports cars don't think that's a cheap looking color.
[automerge]1603229970[/automerge]

The last time I put my phone face down was the X and it got scratched up pretty quickly.
The X is the least durable iPhone ever released.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A premium color is a color that when you look at it exhudes a premium feel that looks like the money I paid for it.
The 12 literally looks like something that I’d expect from a low end android.

i shouldn’t say premium color. It just looks cheap. And not apple like.
A color cannot exude a premium feel. What you are describing is financial bias based on color, which in my opinion, isn’t really logical.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The 'blue' iPhone 12 seems to be ranging from navy to reflex blue. Lighting conditions and indoor vs outdoor make it difficult to decide whether or not to get this.

I'm almost leaning towards a black although it looks rather dull on the regular 12. The graphite in Pro is nicer.

There's alway white, which I hear is a warmer white than usual.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I swear the blue looks completely different in every photo and video that I see. Gonna have to just see one in person for myself.

Really wish the non-Pro models had that frosted matte glass look that the 11 Pros (and apparently the 12 Pros) have. The back of my 11 Pro is my favorite thing about that phone!
Probably the angle making a difference.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Not really In the market for a phone right now but I apparently like the “cheesy, toy blue” way better than Pacific Blue. I like the deep, shiny, bold blue way better. Wish the Product Red looked like that.

Reactions: edhchoe

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
A color cannot exude a premium feel

I'd disagree there, colors play a huge role in how premium something is perceived.

Subtle, muted tones exude luxury/sophisticated/mature
Bright, vibrant colors are more playful/fun/bold/youthful

Anyway, the real life color of the 12 is probably closer to the Best Buy blue than OP's pics. Though I'm sure it can look like that in that in certain lighting in certain angles.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Looks like "Royal Blue" to me. I like it, but it's not everyone's taste.

Also seems to be change with the light (which I really like). Like this:

zRolex-Submariner-16618T-115612s.jpg

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I think that under most (bright) light sources, such as the sun, the color of this blue will iPhone 12 will be close to Delft Blue. Or like a lot of people on other message boards call it Lego-esque

Last edited:

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
Seen enough unboxing videos now in different lighting to decide that I really don't like the blue on the 12. Looks way too cheap and toy-like. The 12 Pro blue (Pacific Blue?) looks a little more sophisticated though. IMO the best color option for the non-pro 12 is Black or White.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The X is the least durable iPhone ever released.

I would love to see some proof for that.

Mine is still very fast and works as expected. A few microscratches on the screen (that you can only see in certain lighting conditions) really don't bother me on a 3 year old phone... and my iPhone 7 had the same problem.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I would love to see some proof for that.

Mine is still very fast and works as expected. A few microscratches on the screen (that you can only see in certain lighting conditions) really don't bother me on a 3 year old phone... and my iPhone 7 had the same problem.

Agree, think we're going to need some proof if someone claims a particular phone is the 'least durable iPhone ever released' and not just because they personally dropped it or something. I had no issues with the X, it felt the same as the XS and the 11 Pro in the hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.