look Psystar notebook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ceezy3000, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

so i went on psystar .com and sent them a email that they need to get to work on a laptop pronto and this is what they sent back
    PSYSTAR SALES TEAM to me

Name,

Thank you for your interest in PSYSTAR's Open Computing. Although there is no mobile open computer at the moment, I can tell you that it is something that is in development. Once we release a final product, it will be posted on our website along with an automatic notification for all Open Computing customers.

Thank you for your inquiry,
    --PSYSTAR Support Team
    www.psystar.com

im actually thinking of returning my macbook or selling it in order to get one of the pro versions when it comes out, what do you think?

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I think if its not a legit machine its going to have problems down the line. They cannot guarantee Snow Leopard support, they cannot guarantee that a future Leopard update will not make the machines not boot. If they go under / go bankrupt you will have no warranty what so ever.

I would rather build a Laptop myself or purchase a Dell and install Leopard on it myself then give any money to Prystar whose position in the market is not yet grounded in concrete.

3. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I wouldn't. I don't think it's worth getting a computer from Psystar. The EULA states that you should only use OS X on an Apple branded computer. Sure, it may be a lot cheaper than the MBP, but it's not the same. Since you are looking into a Pro, I would probably (if I was in your situation) return the MB and get the non unibody Pro. You can get one for $1299.

4. Kevlar macrumors 6502

It will never come out, all there money is going to go into there lawsuit with apple.

5. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i thought that lawsuit was over?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nowhere near. This is really important. If Apple wins, their EULA could become enforceable by law.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) The lawsuit is ongoing

2) Whatever crap Notebook Psystar come out with it will never match the design of the Macbook and have all the Macbooks features. OK it may have a higher clocking CPU, maybe even some other crap thrown in there, but it wont have a multi touch track pad, a sexy glossy screen, a hot unibody design, it wont be made from one piece of aluminum or have any of those things, it will be some cheap piece of plastic hackintosh like a crappy Dell.

OK rant over.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Still going, but they closed the last transcript for the 1-22-09 Motion Hearing until 5-4-09

Sort of makes one wonder what happened that day.

Still is the non-binding arbitration that needs to be held soon before the trial starts.

9. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

but wouldnt you say capabilities and internal stuff is more important than all that sexy stuff apple has become known for?

10. Trip.Tucker Guest

You're implying that the innards of Apple machines is inferior to p.c. equivalents, which is not the case.

I have some Koolaid for you since you seem to be buying.

11. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

Best piece of advice, for anything you're planning to purchase: Don't buy off-brand. Just don't. You'll be happier and have fewer problems.

12. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

no, what im saying is that why have a macbook 2.4ghz etc. when i could probably get a higher processor better graphics card etc. while sacrificing external features and design

13. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I wouldn't say so. These are the features that I want, which Apple have provided and that Prystar most likely wont include:

Magsafe Connector
    Light Up Keyboard + Ambient Light sensor
    Multi-Touch Trackpad
    Auto-Adjusting display brightness
    Full Aluminium enclosure with a Glass screen (easy to wipe clean!)
    Sudden Motion Sensor that Parks Drive Heads protecting against drops and falls

14. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

id ont have any of those except the magsafe adapter, for got to mention i have a black macbook

15. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

You have the last one. The Sudden Motion Sensor. It's been in their Notebooks for a few years now.

But honestly Prystar wont make a machine to match the MacBook in its fit and finish. It will be faster for sure but it'll also be heavier, larger, probably cost more and again the support issues above, you don't know how long the system will continue to run OS X you don't know if an update will break compatibility or not.

16. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

have you read any of the other psystar posts here?
    do you know what kind of length youd have to go to update your OS if youd ever do that?
    do you know what kind of "higher end" graphics card you will be using?

- geeeefarce 90billionGTO

what made you buy a macbook in the first place?
    if it was for power and the fastest processor then you should have gotten a pc.
    want to run mac osx?
    then run it by its optimized configuration...on a mac.

if you want an open computer so bad...save the money and build a hackintosh.

17. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Thinning the herd baby, thinning the herd.

Spend your hard earned dollars as you wish, I am sure Psystar has spent something close to the money Apple is putting into R&D on the development of their mobile frankenmacs. Of course, where do you go for warranty support when the company folds like a wet rag?

Good luck

18. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

u didnt have tohurt my feelings, hah

19. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

obviously...you know nothing!
    heres a sneak peak of whats to come...

[​IMG]

sexy curves, sweet display...

you should do your research before posting something so foolish like what you are claiming...

20. yegon macrumors 68020

Like others have said, buying one of these hack jobs would be madness. If you really want to run OSX on non-Apple hardware go the hackintosh route. At least then you'd learn as you go meaning, should an update and/or Snow Leopard kill it, the knowledge you learned building it, and the forums you visited for that knowledge, would (probably) rectify the issue far quicker than any supposed support from Psystar.

Plus, if you're really that obsessed about getting the most bang for your buck, minus the Apple features, why not just get a Windows lappy and save yourself a load of hassle down the line?

Oh, and glol at that image liquidtrend :)

21. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

not trying to hurt your feelings.
    just being realistic.
    there have always been laptops out there with higher specs than the macs...and that will stay that way for a while.
    people buy macs for many different reasons other than to be able to claim the most powerful graphics cards.

let it be:
    -mac os
    -sexy looks
    -special features

but also...the components all, just work.
    yeah there isnt much of a difference between a hard drive you pick up at newegg.com to what they have in the macs now, but whats inside the psystar? would you trust a company whos having legal disputes to build a machine with quality parts? or stuff they found at the local garage sale?

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That would be about the most stupid thing you can do.

If you look a bit around on the web, you will find that it is not too difficult to install MacOS X on a quality, brand name laptop. It is not legal, but Apple will never know about it, and Apple isn't too bothered anyway.

On the other hand, if you buy from Psystar, you buy from an outfit that has no proven quality record, quite the opposite, that doesn't accept payment by credit card, so if anything goes wrong, you won't get your money back, that is in an expensive legal battle with Apple, so you can be reasonably sure that there will be no money for warranty repairs, and worst case Apple will win its court case, get a complete customer list, and will know that you are using an illegal copy of MacOS X. And you can be assured that Apple will do its best to produce maximum damage to anyone involved to make sure there will be no copycats.

They will also not make a machine that matches a Dell, or Toshiba, or Acer notebook in fit and finish, design, quality, or anything. It is the poorest choice someone could make.