Looking @ 2.4GHz Macbook or 2.4GHz Macbook Pro for Primary Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airlights, May 29, 2009.

1. airlights macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've been looking at getting an Apple laptop for quite sometime for my primary computing needs. Alas, I get a bit of a snag when it comes to choosing which machine to purchase -- either the 2.4GHz Macbook or the 2.4GHz Macbook Pro, hence the name of the thread, haha. Well, seeing how I just introduced myself and my damage, I guess this is the part of said buying thread where I list what I would be doing with my laptop and you guys help push me to the right direction!

1. I'm a college student who, for some reason, loathes using desks when I do my homework, so "screen real estate", or whatever you guys call it, is really important to me because I'm so not getting a second monitor.
    2. I plan on having this machine for a good amount of years, so I'm going to want the most solid laptop that Apple has -- that isn't a 17 inches, omg.
    3. When I do want to upgrade, a high resell value would be would be lovely.
    4. And, I think that's right about it. Oh--! I do some light gaming on the side, so I figured that having a nice graphics card would be lovely.
    5. ETA: I'm a 5 foot 4, 107 pound girl, so weight will also be a factor. I know that the machines only have a one pound difference, but IDK ... with the addition of a couple school books, it could get a little heavy.

Hopefully this is enough information for you guys. If you have anymore questions about my usage, well ... just ask them! Cheers. ;)

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

all 4 of your 'wants' point right to the pro.

easy decision, if the price is hard to swallow look at the refurb 2.4 MBP for $1699

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

2.4 GHz MacBook Pro for you it is (gaming, screen real estate). Although if you can, then try the 2.66 GHz model, those can be upgraded to 8 GB of RAM in the future, and thus you have more life span to it.

4. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yea, what you want definitely points to the pro. The weight difference really will be negligible. The extra 2 inches of screen on the 15" pro really does make quite a difference! [​IMG]

5. airlights thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help! I'll definitely get a Macbook Pro over a Macbook. :)

6. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Just so you know... I got my macbook pro for around $1700 after rebates off ClubMac.com. I only mention this because I too was looking to save some cash and was considering a Macbook or a Refurb Macbook Pro to help cut costs. But once I saw the deal on ClubMac I realized that without taxes and $7 shipping, I was able to get a brand new Macbook Pro for the same cost as a refurb and about the same price as a Macbook after taxes.

7. airlights thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for informing me of Club Mac. I originally planned on buying new from Amazon, because I did the math and after taxes buying refub from Apple would have only been $30 cheaper. :/

8. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

AppleInsider has a special promotion banner that will get you an extra 3% off if you click through to Clubmac or MacMall on their website... I feel shady mentioning that on MacRumors, but hey... a deal is a deal.