Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akshep

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
I've been using Windows since 3.1, and its time for a change. I have been looking at getting a Macbook for a while but have some questions. My first question is that how hard is it to upgrade the RAM and hdd? I know that 250 gigs wont last me too long. If I do upgrade the hdd and ram I'm guessing that any hdd will work, but what about the ram? Will any type of ram work as long as its DDR3 1066? My last question is how does Apple feel about us opening up the computers? Will it void the warranty? I really appreciate your time.

-akshep

chipz

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Voorhees, NJ
Looking at getting a macbook

Welcome to the world of macs. RAM is considered a user replaceable item, so it will not void your warranty. The HDD can be replaced by the user, but I'm not sure if it will void the warranty or not. If you are considering a MacBook, you might go on the Apple website and peruse the available MacBooks. They can be ordered with other HDD units and with additional RAM, although the RAM is cheaper from other resources. Just make sure you get good RAM. Other World Computing and other Apple purveyors are usually good sources. I would also consider the Mac Book Pro as it is more flexible and more upgradeable.

akshep

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I dont know if I can afford a MBP, as getting a macbook is stretching it. I will do some more research into it though.

akshep

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
After looking at the 13 inch macbook and 13 inch macbook pro the only difference I see is the case material, and the amount of ram that comes stock. Is the aluminum case and 2 extra gigs of ram really worth the extra money?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
After looking at the 13 inch macbook and 13 inch macbook pro the only difference I see is the case material, and the amount of ram that comes stock. Is the aluminum case and 2 extra gigs of ram really worth the extra money?

Well, the extra money gets you:

•A much nicer looking computer.

•A stronger computer.

•Backlit keyboard.

•A machine that is 1 pound lighter and slightly thinner.

•Extra bragging rights :p

In my opinion its worth the money :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I've been using Windows since 3.1, and its time for a change. I have been looking at getting a Macbook for a while but have some questions. My first question is that how hard is it to upgrade the RAM and hdd? I know that 250 gigs wont last me too long. If I do upgrade the hdd and ram I'm guessing that any hdd will work, but what about the ram? Will any type of ram work as long as its DDR3 1066? My last question is how does Apple feel about us opening up the computers? Will it void the warranty? I really appreciate your time.

Both RAM and hard drive are user replaceable. http://www.crucial.com will offer RAM specifically for the computer model that you have. There is a difference between the white MacBook and the aluminium MacBook Pro: The MacBook supports up to 4 GB of RAM (two 2 GB chips) and any 9.5 mm high hard drive, which means today up to 750 GB. The MacBook Pro supports up to 8 GB of RAM (two 4 GB chips) and any 9.5 mm or 12 mm high hard drive, which means today up to 1 TB. And the MacBook Pro has a backlit keyboard, which is _very_ nice.

In both models, swapping the hard drive and adding RAM is quite simple. It takes a while because there are quite a few screws to unscrew, but it is no problem at all.

Note that the MBP comes with 4 GB RAM, and today the 4 GB chips that you would need to upgrade to 8 GB total are very expensive.

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010

yes, it's worth it. I have both, the aluminum and the polycarbonate macbook and I love my aluminum more. the plastic has more problems with it's unibody... go for the pro pal :)

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
not so expensive

OWC's price is $129.99 for 8 GB (2 x 4 GB)

I have always been happy with their service and professionalism.

[DL]

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Louisiana
Do not get the latest White MacBook. The rubber bottom will most likely peel off. Trust me... it's happened to me.

joelk2

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
There is a difference between the white MacBook and the aluminium MacBook Pro: The MacBook supports up to 4 GB of RAM (two 2 GB chips) and any 9.5 mm high hard drive, which means today up to 750 GB. The MacBook Pro supports up to 8 GB of RAM (two 4 GB chips) and any 9.5 mm or 12 mm high hard drive, which means today up to 1 TB. And the MacBook Pro has a backlit keyboard, which is _very_ nice.

the macbook supports up to 8gb of ram as well as the MBP.

i say go with the macbook, its a great machine, can be upgraded as much as the pro. to me the little differences didn't warrant the extra money but this is only my opinion.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Two things no one has mentioned in the differences between the MacBook and the Pro are that the Pro comes with FireWire and separate audio in and out ports (on the MacBook, there's one dedicated audio port that can switch between the two).

IMO, the base 13" MBP is a much better deal for your money than the MB. To me, not having FireWire is a deal-breaker.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
MacBook supports only 4 GB

the macbook supports up to 8gb of ram as well as the MBP.

According to specs on apple's site, MacBook can go only to 4 GB. MBP supports 8 GB.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Thanks for the reply. I dont know if I can afford a MBP, as getting a macbook is stretching it. I will do some more research into it though.

I was in the same boat as you. Couldn't afford a MBP so I just got the regular macbook. I honestly don't know the difference between the MBP and the MB except for the aluminum finish, the backlit keyboard, and the extra ram. I think that the plastic MB is more durable than the MBP. Yes, the MB does get scratches but you can't really tell because they're light scratches. But if your really on a tight budget, try the Apple Refurb (where I got mine). They're currently selling the MBP for 1,019+ tax (depends on where you live though). Check back regularly as they might be selling a MB for less too. Hopes this helps you with your decision :D

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I was in the same boat as you. Couldn't afford a MBP so I just got the regular macbook. I honestly don't know the difference between the MBP and the MB except for the aluminum finish, the backlit keyboard, and the extra ram. I think that the plastic MB is more durable than the MBP. Yes, the MB does get scratches but you can't really tell because they're light scratches. But if your really on a tight budget, try the Apple Refurb (where I got mine). They're currently selling the MBP for 1,019+ tax (depends on where you live though). Check back regularly as they might be selling a MB for less too. Hopes this helps you with your decision :D

The UB whitebook can be had for $749 or $849 depending on the CPU/GPU you choose on the refurb site...when they show up.

OriJuice

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome to the world of macs. RAM is considered a user replaceable item, so it will not void your warranty. The HDD can be replaced by the user, but I'm not sure if it will void the warranty or not. If you are considering a MacBook, you might go on the Apple website and peruse the available MacBooks. They can be ordered with other HDD units and with additional RAM, although the RAM is cheaper from other resources. Just make sure you get good RAM. Other World Computing and other Apple purveyors are usually good sources. I would also consider the Mac Book Pro as it is more flexible and more upgradeable.

We (Our studio) was told that Mac's are NOT user serviceable under their warranted life. We took this as "Don't F*&k with it til your three years are up" kind of deal. So I would suggest talking to the local applecare dealer about that, as some dealers give different answers; i'm sure.

Macbook (Regular) CAN Support up to 8GB of RAM (http://www.ifixit.com) They do come in the nesc. size. However, the actual OS only uses 6 of the 8 GB. I use a late 2008 polycarbonate body Macbook for my home Mac and this is the case with it.

If you are looking for upgradability I would strongly suggest moving towards PC Laptops, only because high end laptops have the storage room to take more (And their easier to replace). On MB's and MBP's you are pretty much stuck to either switching your HDD or your RAM without taking the entire notebook apart.

As far as the difference between a MBP and a regular MB. The difference is strictly (Base model only) in the RAM and the case. I upgraded my Mac so that it may perform as a MBP and minus the card reader and out port it works great for that purpose. However, the higher models of MBP featuring the better processors are in a different league alltogether.

Depending WHAT you plan on doing with your Mac is the experience you get out of it. If you want to use it for typing stuff, your basically doing what every other notebook can do (Minus virus' from surfing for pr0n). The Mac lineup tends to excel with Video editing and (Higher end models) 3D rendering. I find that when editing HD footage for a show it tends to move more smoothly on a Mac than it does on a PC. Also works great for audio/studio work and really any media industry related workload.

Have fun

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
We (Our studio) was told that Mac's are NOT user serviceable under their warranted life. We took this as "Don't F*&k with it til your three years are up" kind of deal. So I would suggest talking to the local applecare dealer about that, as some dealers give different answers; i'm sure.

Or you could look at Apple's website. The RAM is user serviceable on just about every Mac, and the HDD on the unibody MBPs and MBs.

Macbook (Regular) CAN Support up to 8GB of RAM (http://www.ifixit.com) They do come in the nesc. size. However, the actual OS only uses 6 of the 8 GB. I use a late 2008 polycarbonate body Macbook for my home Mac and this is the case with it.

The current MacBook and the 2008 MacBook are not the same MacBook. As has been gone over numerous times, the current MacBook can support and use all 8 GB RAM when put in. Don't talk about what a computer can do without researching it first.

If you are looking for upgradability I would strongly suggest moving towards PC Laptops, only because high end laptops have the storage room to take more (And their easier to replace). On MB's and MBP's you are pretty much stuck to either switching your HDD or your RAM without taking the entire notebook apart.

Not exactly helpful.

As far as the difference between a MBP and a regular MB. The difference is strictly (Base model only) in the RAM and the case. I upgraded my Mac so that it may perform as a MBP and minus the card reader and out port it works great for that purpose. However, the higher models of MBP featuring the better processors are in a different league alltogether.

Again, as had been gone over several times in this very thread, this is not true. The 13" MBP has a stronger construction, is slightly smaller and lighter, has a FW800 port (the biggest difference IMO), has separate audio in and out ports, and has a backlit keyboard. To me, all those differences add up to worth more than the $200 difference in price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.