Looking at Skylake realistically...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kal-037, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I know many are waiting for Skylake update for rMBP for many reasons but the biggest I have heard is the increase of iGPU power and efficiency, DDR4, and wireless charging. My question is: what if Apple uses Skylake just for increasing iGPU, battery life, and Skylake just for the sake of a "new" CPU.
    I mean DDR4 is still pretty new and DDR3 is much cheaper than it used to be I don't see Apple immediately jumping on that, as for wireless charging... The MBP takes a bunch of power... is it realistic to think it can adopt wireless charging from the first mainstream CPU to support that?

Let's say Apple does the following...

Update to Skylake H
    Improved iGPU
    Better Battery Life 10-11 Hours.
    Better Wifi
    (Maybe a dGPU)
    ??????

Realistically what do you think Apple will do with Skylake, will they use it to it's FULL abilities, and will it be the end all update for CPUs, or will it just add some cool features that will make it a more efficient computer?
    What if Skylake/Apple update doesn't deliver all the updates and features people are hoping for? Or worse... we end up with situation similar to Broadwell?

K.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It'll be another mildly disappointing performance bump in terms of CPU a bit better on iGPU and the top end 15 will probably get AMDs new hardware, I can't see any of this happening until q1-q2 next year though so it's really not worth worrying about.

Yes some skylake is out in august but currently we only know that the desktops are going to be with us then and not about the release dates for any of the mobile processors. I would predict Core M for pre christmas and the rest post christmas myself but it's all just a guess...

DDR4 is currently not much better than DDR3 it has the potential to be much better but is currently not worth the expense or effort, I think we'll see mobile charging in phones and tablets long before the macbook, but wireless 4K mirroring might get a look in with skylake.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Speculation, but no hard evidence of what is coming with the new Skylake update. Any improvements is better than none at all. Just wait until its released guys.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

As far as CPUs go it will most likely be an underwhelming update. It won't be a game changer.
    What may Apple do with it, is a redesign. Without no dGPU with a smaller battery but the same battery life, thinner design.

Mostly Skylake's changes to the non CPU side of the equation allows for significant changes to the whole package. The iGPU improvements alongside DDR4 allows for what Apple might consider good enough performance. Updating the rest of the hardware to MacBook like battery packs alongside the smaller logicboard allows slimming down the whole package somewhat.

5. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Or hopefully by making the whole board smaller, they will focus on improving battery life by throwing in a bigger battery.

6. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Anyone expecting loads of updates, higher end GPU's, etc. haven't been following Apple very long. They do just enough to make it a good update, but not much else. And even when you expect a standard upgrade (for example the 950m), they'll throw a curveball. If there is a redesign, then bigger changes will happen, such as USBC and maybe the new MacBook keyboard.

7. Adam620 macrumors member

Adam620

I see a skylake MacBook Pro being announced November. No wireless charging till cannonlake.

8. vladzaharia macrumors regular

They can't really get more thin than current. I mean, just look at the ports, they all still need to be there, after all. Regardless of what changes on the inside, the external thickness will still be limited by those ports.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There is pretty much no chance at all that is happening. If anything it will shrink or stay the same in capacity, but bigger is not happening.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Look at what is underneath. The horizontal band around gives the appearance to make the MBP thinner than it is but there body is actually twice as thick as that band that can fit all the ports. Take a closer look at it. They could remove 4mm before they are even touching the ports.

11. vladzaharia macrumors regular

Have you opened up your device? You'd know that all the components are pretty much pressed up against that bottom. The fan itself is practically the same thickness, and youcan't really thin it out without making it crappy.

12. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I dont plan on upgrading unless there is a full redesign as my 2014 model is doing fine but I think the major +'s of Skylake will be:

DDR4 which should allow for 32GB of ram in the rMBP.

and from my understanding skylake will also likely have HVEC decode? Which might lead to Netflix streaming 4k on macbooks? :)

13. Flabasha macrumors member

My guess?

POSITIVE:
    Slightly faster CPU, but barely
    Thinner, lighter
    Smaller screen bezel
    Vastly improved battery time (+4hrs. or so)
    USB-C

NEGATIVE
    No discreet GPU, so worse graphics performance
    Fewer ports
    The bad new macbook keyboard

14. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Yes but its been 3 years since they first designed it, I am sure since then they have found new ways to make things even smaller.

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You complained the the ports are the issue and I pointed out that they really aren't. Fans can be made thinner. Battery pack can be made thinner. Lots of things can still be shrunk. The MBA looks tight inside and yet Apple made the Macbook with a lot thinner and smaller components. The cooling system can also be improved and Apple could just make the notebook wedge shaped giving the cooling at the back more height while still slimming down the overall look.
    But again the ports are absolutely not the issue as I tried to point out and that was your only argument in the initial post.

16. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

If Skylake is 10% faster ... great. Improved battery life is always appreciated.

Personally, I don't care about thinner ... the current form factor is fine for my uses.

Discrete versus imbedded GPU ... I don't know enough to make an intelligent decision, although I find the possibility for a discrete device interesting (Lightroom user). For an extra $100 (as in the current model), I'd probably go for it.

Then there's the possibility of TB3 with Skylake.

Further, I wonder how DDR4 might somehow enable 16 GB memory modules to allow for 32 GB of memory (virtual machine user). Others with more knowledge on this might comment.

17. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

I feel that Broadwell has become old news and Haswell 'is' old news. Don't get me wrong, their great laptops for what they are but, before I finally shut down my long running ol' 2008 MBP for something new I have to at least feel as though I'm investing in the next generation of MBP (i.e., a Skylake 'Tic') and not just another fractional 'update' to what's already on the shelf. It may not actually be available until the Holiday shopping season or even next year but I'm hoping to at least hear an announcement soon regarding the arrival of next gen technology.

18. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Broadwell support already HVEC (partially).

19. wct097 macrumors 6502

I think it would be interesting to see the 13" and 15" form factors going to 14" and 16" with screens similar to the 12", but with a 4k display. I don't see that as completely out of the question either. I don't think we'll see 4+ more hours of battery life. If anything, they'll net out a minor bump with the processor saving energy, the battery itself being reduced in size/power, and the screen taking more power.

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Now that it is official that Thunderbolt 3 will make the switch to USB Type-C that adds another feature that makes a redesign with Skylake more likely.

21. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Haswell supports 32gb apple just don't install it in a laptop. DDR4 is currently no better than DDR3 and the dual core skylake won't support DDR4 anyway so it'll only go in the 15 inch if at all.

The Skylake U processors are showing on the roadmap to have a smaller version of the IRIS Pro graphics available on some chips (most likely the 28W version slated for the 13 inch rMBP) with 64mb of eDRAM this could be a worthy boost to the 13 inch iGPU.

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There will be no announcement there is very rarely any announcement on any mac computers until they are ready to ship, the only recent exception being the nMP.

23. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Yes Haswell does support 32GB but only 8GB modules, meaning they would need 4 channels to support 32GB. Means more space etc.. something apple doesnt like.

But with Skylake, they only need 2 modules to get to 32GB. So itll be easy to make as a BTO option

24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I know this but as they moved from 2 channel to 4 channel PCIe SSD's, so they had 2 channels spare anyway so they could have easily put in 4 modules they take up very little space when soldered on.

25. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

No doubt it was possible with not much space or money taken up but look at it this way.

- All the 15in boards are made the same.
    - The amount of people that would buy 32GB, would be less than 10%

They would have to have designed the board for 32GB across all 15in Macbooks when only 10% of those people will buy it. A few pennies over millions of boards adds up.

That is why with 16GB modules, they can continue to design the same board for all the macbooks.