Looking back now...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeanZy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

I think it would be interesting to use the original iPhone with the original iPhone software on there.

It would be crazy to see how many things are missing, and how many of them we work with everyday that we could not go without anymore.

I was just thinking about this and thought about how far we have come with the iPhone. I remember the first one being announced and it looking absolutely revolutionary.

Time flies.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The first iPhone OS was only 92mb, iOS 4.0 is over 300mb, we have come far.

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wow, that is a long way. I never realized this till your post here.

4. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

I remember speculation on what the iPhone would look like when the design was finally revealed. :)

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Actually iP4 is almost 600MB.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Isn't that only for the iPhone 4?

8. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I pass. The design was new, the OS had potential the browser better than others, but the features, nada. I was using bluetooth stereo headset, skipping tracks (as of now still can't be done with 4.0), volume control, cut and paste, MMS, Slinging, VNC to home PC, conecting to my car stereo, all with, dare I say, winmo. Made no sense giving all that up for first gen iphone.

9. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I remember that bad boy, I bought the original iPhone shortly after release, you couldn't move apps around the screen, you only had the main page, there was no app store and the only games you could play were browser based games through Apples webiste...ahhh the good old days :D

10. chembox macrumors 6502a

Even at THAT time (2007) I still thought it was a revolutionary device. The only problem I had with the original iPhone is that the EDGE speeds were slower than dial-up.

11. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Yea the internet speeds were slow but my phone previous to that was just some rubbish Nokia so just having a web browser and internet access out on the go was amazing even if it was a tad slow compared to todays standards

12. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yeah, I'd straight up shoot myself if we had to revert back to that. Even looking at the 3G is too painful a thought for me now....I've seen the light....and it uses IPS technology :eek:

13. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

You bring up a good point. I bought the iPhone shortly after it's release- it was revolutionary even at that stage. There was no app store... There was nothing really, but basic functionality.. The web browser and YouTube. Jailbreaking at the time was very exciting for me, because I was loading games, and all sorts of fun applications on my iPhone.

Not sure I'd be a jailbreaker without that experience.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That it would. I still have my original iPhone. I had it at 3.1.3, but I found that I didn't use Copy/Paste and without MMS, I said, to hell with it and sent it back to 2.2.1.

Suffice to say, it's fast and does well as a back-up phone. I own a piece of history. The iPhone.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

I remember when my brother first got the iPhone in Nov 2007 (Black Friday), he thought it was overpriced and overrated. Months before App Store. Vanilla form 2G iPhone could get boring fast. I felt the same way with it. That same iPhone would eventually be mines to use Nov of the following year as he moved onto a 3G.

But even though the first iPhone was not my fav phone ever because it gave me problems and hiccups, I have to admit that was the only iPhone model that I would label "revolutionary." It is like the first iPod and "the thousands of songs in your pocket" mantra. The following generations of iPhone was just an evolution. I believe the 4 was the best one Apple ever made and is bar none my favorite gadget ever, but even I have to say it isn't all that "revolutionary." A 5MP camera, LED flash, FaceTime (aka video calling) have been available for years. HD recording is not rare nowadays and having a 1Ghz processor isn't revolutionary either. Only the Retina Display brought something new to the table with the high PPI/resolution. I find the iPhone 4 more of the refinement of what the previous iPhones had always lacked in features they should have had years ago. The iPhone 4 might be the biggest jump since the original iPhone, but it isn't as revolutionary compared to it since we've seen these features before in other phones.

The very first iPhone introduced in 2007 was the only true game changer of the family for its slick UI, responsive touchscreen, beautiful industrial design, and fast WiFi web browsing experience (for its time).

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

the original iphone os was pretty damn empty without jailbreak.
    No apps, and missing basic functions like voice record.

17. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Okay, not trying to attack what you might value but seriously? A piece of history? I think you need to readjust what you consider to be history. An authentic helmet from World War I is a piece of history. You can buy an iPhone 2g for under 85 dollars online. That is not history; you just meant to say that it has sentimental value for you and that's it.

What have we come to?

18. chembox macrumors 6502a

What do you consider the Apple Lisa as of now?

It's important because it's the first-ever device to help revolutionize and kickstart the smartphone industry. I'm willing to bet there would've never been an Android in 2010 if the iPhone was never introduced.

19. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

There is no Apple Lisa. Read my updated post. When the iPhone 2g costs five grand to buy then I'll call it a piece of history. It's was an overly manufactured product that was revolutionary but it is not a piece of history. It's just history.

20. chembox macrumors 6502a

Touché.

21. crobbins macrumors 6502

The original iPhone will LIKELY be my favorite one. It was by far the one I was the most excited for. I still think it looked the coolest of all of them that have come out so far. It would be extremely difficult to go back though..

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the popularity of the iPhone caught apple off guard a bit. I mean they weren't prepared with an sdk, in fact, they were moving to have all applications be web-apps basically running within the web browser.

Luckily they saw the light of producing a great sdk.

The app store was another add on that was seemingly hastily thrown together, instead of being properly vetted it, which resulted in bumps in the road for both apple, the developer and the consumer. Nothing really bad, just growing pains.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Let's see, how long since the first Mac came out? Rough guestimate ~28 years ago.

Price now... well, high and you can barely find one.

Obviously right now people don't want the original iPhone. Why should they when they can have the neatest, latest and greatest? That's how it is with history items, they start out not worth a dime and slowly but surely they end up being worth alot.

However, an item isn't historic because of the financial merits it holds. Big no-no. If it weren't for the iPhone, we'd be still using those old dinosaurs called 'smartphones' with gigantic keyboards and terrible UI.

25. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats what I thought haha.

It is such a stupid thing to say , but it really is weird to think about haha