Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It doesn’t need to be a dramatic increase either. As it is, I’ve slept with an Apple Watch for years now and I only charge my Watch once a day.

But in that time you of course don’t track your stand or calorie progress.
Maybe the answer is two different watches? :)

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
With shelter in place orders I've lost my charging habits and kind of hope for a longer battery life to save me when I forget. I've actually thought of going back to my Garmin until life returns to normal (charge about once/month), but it doesn't have a heart rate sensor, which I need for my basement workout calorie estimation, I guess. If we could get to 1 week I think it would be fantastic (no charger to bring on weekend trips and more forgiving of missed recharges).

I started smart watch use with the Apple Watch and then switched to a Garmin because of the battery. 5 years later and apple still ignores the battery in favor of too many screen gimmicks and form factor. the Apple Watch is not practical for anyone who wants to track a run/bike for more than an hour and still wear their watch all day without needing to take it off to charge.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
But in that time you of course don’t track your stand or calorie progress.
Maybe the answer is two different watches? :)

I charge it after I workout, while I’m in the shower and it’s always topped off! If I don’t run, my watch can easily last 48 hours.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
So they're even more "gadgets" than a smartwatch is.

they are fashion statement, Apple Watch is the gadget that you use for specific tasks, I mean if a $10 Casio watch can do the same task that a $10K Rolex does, why the price difference?

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
they are fashion statement, Apple Watch is the gadget that you use for specific tasks, I mean if a $10 Casio watch can do the same task that a $10K Rolex does, why the price difference?

That's basically @ericwn's point (I'm guessing): they've become largely frivolous toys, whereas Apple Watch is a useful tool.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The last time I wore a watch was in 1986. The Health aspect of the device is pretty cool but I still have no desire for one.

And I believe there is a big group that’s just not interested in getting back to any watch. The same if not eben bigger group exists when it comes to AR glasses and stuff like that.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That's basically @ericwn's point (I'm guessing): they've become largely frivolous toys, whereas Apple Watch is a useful tool.

Well put. We can use any watch to admire the workmanship, design, materials, the individual watch face layout and these things. I like the aspect of being able to change the watch face and play around with it every now and then.
Timekeeping is nice to have but of course we stare at computers of sorts all the time who do display the time easily.
Apple Watch can be useful for the additional functionality of course but everyone’s needs are different. To me it’s a modern digital watch in the 21st century.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Some people will pay lots of money for “name” fashion or status symbols. Those ugly King Louis purses that cost $20,000 or $30,000 for instance. Whatever floats people’s boats, they’re welcome to them ?‍♂️

In any case, Tim has a monster hit on his hands with the Apple Watch. Maybe not as big as AirPods... not sure what the sales figures are for either product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.