looking for a 2 tb external Hard drive with firewire

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Larpy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Larpy macrumors member

After reading about some of the hard drives out there on this forum and searching I can't seem to find anyone recommendations for a 2 tb firewire HD. The WD sounds like it should be avoided but what about others?

ta

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desk Mac 1TB and have been very happy with it. Very quiet and a nicely designed case. FW800/400 & USB2.0. I also have several other FreeAgents (FW400) that I've been happy with. So, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their 2TB model.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Dont go near Lacie stuff. SO MANY problems/failures and really crap customer service.

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I can't really speak for drives but I've been using an OWC Mercury Elite drive enclosure with eSATA/FW800/400/USB for about 2 years now and it's been great. A little pricey but it's certainly quality.

Do you absolutely have to have a 2TB drive? They're a bit pricey at this point and none of them seem like they're amazingly dependable.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

I agree completely. The Mercury Elite enclosures are really excellent and very flexible. I would (did) build my own external, getting the enclosure from OWC (Macsales) and getting a good Western Digital OEM drive from NewEgg.

[​IMG]

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, but my experience has been the exact opposite. Lacie drives have worked perfectly for me.

I'd second the Mercury recommendation as well though, they work well. Don't know how the prices compare between those and Lacie, I'd just go for the best deal between those two.

jW

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

But then we have a Lacie drive that has been running 24/7/365 for 3 and a half years without a problem.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I have a couple of Mercury Elite drives that have been running basically 24/365 for 4-5 years now. Not 2TB, but zero problems with smaller models.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

+1 for OWC. I have a couple of 2.5" cases from them. Well built and no problems. Other than a couple of other bare enclosures, it's OWC and Seagate (mentioned in my earlier post).

10. Larpy thread starter macrumors member

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

agree on the Lacie; ours died after 13 months

The Hitachi 2TB 7200 is on sale for $129 this week. Also note many of the 2tb drives are an odd 5900rpms.

I always use bare drives and add them to one of my owc enclosures

cheers

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have a LaCie drive that came with two Seagate drives in them. After a year, one of the drives started making a loud whirring noise and I got tired of that so I replaced the original seagate drives with two WD drives.

LaCie doesn't make drives, only the enclosures. My LaCie "drive" is now two years old and going strong.

13. Larpy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all

It doesn't look like I have much choice.

L

14. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

I've had the same experience with LaCie.
    They came with noisy and hot Seagate drives inside.
    After awhile I got tired of the noise from the drives and LaCie's cooling fan and went with larger WD Green drives.

Both the D2 Quadra and 2BigTriple seem to be solid long term drives with appropriate cool-running drives inside.
    I'd buy them again. Just wait until a particular size goes out of fashion and wait for a sale. Mine were originally a 320GB (D2) and 1TB (2BT) that were discounted when the larger ones came out.

The LaCie enclosures, cables and power bricks seem nicely made.
    Why they ruin it all by installing inappropriate hot and noisy drives is beyond me.

Have Fun,
    Keri

15. Charlie Croker macrumors member

Charlie Croker

16. cube macrumors G5

The Macpower/inXtron Pleiades Super S-Combo (quad interface) is very nice.

17. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

+1--get an enclosure and select you own HDD. It may cost a bi more but you have the benefit and upgrading drive whenever you need and if a drive fails, replacement is a snap.

I haven used OWC's enclosures yet but will be getting their 4 bay unit to set up as RAID 5 very soon. I'm currently using an Icy Dock dual enclosure connected via FW800 and it has performed beautifully--manually adjustable cooling fan (though running very cool already), very quiet, set up as RAID 0/1, JBOD, or BIG, screwless install of HDD.

18. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I disagree. I have a LaCie 250 GB external HDD that has been backing up my MBP and/or iMac G5 for 2 years now. No problem and good external case. A bit pricey though.

19. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I have a 1.5 TB Seagate FreeAgent for the past year and so far no problems with noise or overheating

20. GSX macrumors member

21. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

22. GSX macrumors member

Umm okay.

I was merely responding to the OP's question. The OP was looking for an external 2TB drive, and so I suggested the WD My Book Studio II.

I never said anything about drive failures and their acceptance. :confused:

23. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Yes, I know.