Looking for a free SMS (Text Messaging) widget?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by todd2000, Oct 14, 2007.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Im looking for a free widget to send text messages. I used to use SMS Widget, but they seem to have merged (or something) with Call-wave, and I can't get the new Call-wave widget to work for the life of me, and the old SMS widget doesn't work either. I've found iSend, which looks promising, but the DL link is broken, and I tried googling, but everywhere seems to point to the same DL location. Does anyone have any other options? Thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can use iChat.

Create a "New Chat With Person...", then enter the recipients phone number, preceded by a "+1" (i.e. +18881234567).

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just tried sending my-self a message with iChat and it didn't work. Even if I can get this to work is there any way for the recipient to reply? With SMS widget it had a spot to enter my email, and if someone replied it would send the message to my email.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I believe it only works through an AOL IM account, if that helps.

If the chat window is left open, the recipient can reply and it'll show up there.

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I managed to send a text to my friend using AIM, but it made him sign up for "mobile AIM", and is charging him an extra 10c per message. So back to the widget hunt!

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Doesn't sound right - did you sent it to his AOL screen name or the mobile phone number?

Not sure if this is an issue, but my only real experience is sending to AT&T customers. I've sent SMS using this method and they come through as SMS, not through AIM on the mobile device.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I couldn't find a widget (could have sworn there were some though) but I found this.

8. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sent it to his AT&T phone number, and it gave him a whole thing, that said welcom to Mobile AIM, etc... and told his it would charge him an extra 10c per text message when using Mobile AIM.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Whew. Interesting. I actually tried it again when I first posted a reply, and it still comes through as SMS on my iPhone (same as I've had on my RAZR, and other RAZR's in the family).

He is able to receive SMS directly from another phone? Maybe it has something to do with his specific plan.

Hopefully, another member has more info on this. I'm kind of at a loss for now.

10. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes he is able to receive SMS messages from other phones, he actually has an iPhone.

11. whyrichard macrumors 68000

i too want this very much.

sms mac is too expensive...

isend doesn't talk to my addressbook...

... thought this would be a big market...

r.

12. whyrichard macrumors 68000

so picky am i....

txt drop doesn't use the address book, and the other one doesn't work with iphone...

but thanks for the leads

r.

13. chuckewe macrumors newbie

14. jmenezes72 macrumors newbie