Looking for a Good GPS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've had a Tom Tom One with expandable memory for about 5 years. The price has dropped so much that I'm thinking about purchasing a new Tom Tom or Garmin and I'm looking for the following:

1. Inexpensive (if possible $200 or less)
    2. Unlimited free map updates.
    3. Traffic
    4. Expandable/Interchangible Memory Slot. - it's real convenient if you want to switch maps. Not convenient if you have to erase and then download a map everytime you want to switch it.

I was all ready to buy a new TomTom XXL 540TM for about $150 although it does not include an expandable/interchangeable camera-style memory card. But then I started reading reviews and a whole bunch of people have had problems with updates and faulty units. So now I'm looking closer at Garmin. What do you like?
    Thanks!
    -Dave

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't know if it meets all your criteria but I have the Garmin Nuvi 255W and I love it

3. Huntn, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks Dawg. I've noticed that map prices have dropped substantially. A US/Canada map used to run $80. Now they are $35. I suppose that is due to competition. However, it's really hard to pass up free lifetime maps... It won't take long to come out ahead with that feature.

Lol, now I'm reading about Garmins, everything from advertisements on the screen to "lifetime maps" are only for 1 year- wtf?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a Garmin Nuvi 765 and it's great.

The advertisements on the screen are for the traffic service - you can either pay yearly for traffic (I think it's 60 bucks) and have no ads, or opt for free traffic and have an ad on the screen - and the ads are only on screen when stationary, once you start moving they disappear. I'm doing the free traffic, and I hardly even notice the ads are there.

Lifetime updates - I had to pay for those (I think it was $120, this was almost 2 years ago though) and they've definitely lasted for more than a year, and I'm still getting updates. I'm not sure where that 1 year thing you mentioned comes from. The GPS unit might only come with one year of updates, but lifetime updates means you get updates for as long as you own that device.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Nuvi. It's been with me on several road trips, including one up into Toronto (Mine came with US and Canada maps), and has been perfect. I'll be taking it with me this weekend to Philadelphia since I'm not about to pay Hertz to rent one of their nav units.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I have one of these as well, and I love it. I don't think it's possible to go wrong with any version of Nuvi. Pick whichever one fits your feature requirements and budget, then enjoy!

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the info and clarifying when the ads are there.! I'm going to call Garmin tomorrow and verify that lifetime updates means that. Do you know how often map updates come out?

Thanks! :)

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AFAIK, there's no set schedule or number, but I seem to get around 4 updates a year.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

The comment I saw about one year of lifetime maps appears to be bogus. :)

I have decided on a Garmin nuvi 1490LMT with lifetime map updates, free traffic, and a SD memory slot. I could have purchased a TomTom for all most half the price, but it did not include the SD slot and as I said there are tons of negative comments about new Tomtoms online.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If you have an iPhone, I vote for Motion X GPS...

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I've heard conflicting stories about GPS in phones as in there is no real GPS unless it's a garmin phone, most phones use cell tower triangulation. So if you you are not in cell coverage...

My brother in law has an earlier generation iphone and is not impressed with it's performance going down the highway. It's fine for walking around town though.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I assume you'll be traveling a lot internationally? That's really the only reason I can think of to use an SD card. There's plenty of space on the internal memory for North American maps.

Mine has an SD slot and I've never used it.

All iPhones since the 3G and most (all?) other recent smartphones do have an actual GPS receiver built in.

12. Huntn, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the info, good to know. Those receivers must be pretty small. I would not say I travel overseas alot, but I do have a United Kingdom map I used about 4 years ago. England to Ireland and back. There were roads in Ireland with no names. It was a real life saver. It was completely worth an $80 map purchase because I no longer feared driving away from my hotel. Having to pour over a map while driving especially in the city...shutters. ;) Reinstalling maps, especially if you are having to download them is a pain.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have a GPS built in to my car and my wife has a Nuvi, so I don't need to use my iPhone 4 for naviagion that much. I do use Navigon for business trips and emergencies. It works well and is very accurate. Just as accurate as my other units. That being said, I like the Nuvi better. Its not tied to my phone so we can keep it in the car and the battery life is better (because its not sharing battery with my phone). I'd pick the Nuvi that fits your requirements.