Looking for a very thin hard shell that doesn't require or cater to the smart cover.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Nikos, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I'm looking for a hard shell that will protect the back of my 3rd generation iPad. I don't plan on purchasing a smart cover so I'd prefer one that doesn't cater to it by leaving the side open. Think Incipio Feather that covers the entire rear, something very thin that will protect it from scratches.

A skin would be an alternative, but I was never a fan of those. I'm open to giving them a shot if I can't find anything though.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Many of us are waiting for the same thing. Two forum members can confirm that the SwitchEasy NUDE for iPad 2 fits the The New iPad:

http://www.switcheasy.com/product.php?product=NUDE_iPad2

I have the clear, looks awesome. From across the room you can't even tell that it's on.

BJ

3. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Thanks! I had that on my original iPad and it was definitely a nice case. Good to know it fits. :)

4. Onlineharvest macrumors newbie

Case Mate Barely There
    Very thin hard shell, has open side as requested.
    Have for my iPhone and I love it. Maintains the thin profile.

Note: not yet available but should be very soon.

http://www.case-mate.com/The-new-iP...-Smart-Cover-Compatible-Barely-There-Case.asp

5. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

He wants the exact opposite of what you're recommending.

----------

Any stores carry this or did you buy online?

6. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Has anyone found anything decent? From what I've seen, most cases have the smart cover cutout. :(

7. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG]

I'm in the same place you are, Nikos.

All the thin hard shell back cases have the dreaded Smart Cover cutouts (and some worse, even have lower edge cutouts) and the only options for total back coverage are the Switcheasy Nude (2x thicker than other hardshell back covers) and the TPU mess on eBay (floppy, sloppy, 3x thicker).

What we need is for Marware to take their MicroShell, finish off the Smart Cover cutout, finish off the bottom edge, done.

BJ

8. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I can't believe every new iPad 3 owner is clamouring for a Smart Cover. I'd settle for an Incipio Feather without the cutouts.

9. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

They aren't. I'd have to believe that less than 30% of all The New iPad owners are buying a Smart Cover too.

If you're a case manufacturer, I can see why you'd want to offer something that attracts 100% of the potential buying audience, but ignoring the 70% that never, ever wants a Smart Cover isn't good either. There are more people out there who want total coverage than there are those that want the cutouts; makes no sense that the larger population is at the mercy of the smaller one.

It's amazing how few choices we have for a light/thin back shell that gives 100% coverage for all non-port surfaces.

BJ

10. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

So if there any case manufacturers out there reading this...

11. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

This

12. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

13. boltjames, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided to give this one a try. Not perfect (large opening at bottom, still) but it's the first polycarbonate hard shell case with rubberized finish I've seen that has the entire left side completely covered so we can get an equal and balanced east/west grip.

Could live without the speaker opening, could live without the strange corner groovage, could live without the large logo, but for $5.49 it's worth a shot.

Product Here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1084315&p_id=8438&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Video Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24zVwjIuvw&feature=player_embedded#t=90s

BJ

14. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

Check out the Handy Shell by Speck Products...best case I have ever used...it is a hardshell case with a little lip that goes around the ipad so you can lay it face down...and it also has a "handle" that you can use to stand your ipad up or hold on to it or hang it on a wall if you want...lol

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Me too, The Griffin Reveal was the one....Got a Belkin which has the gap...Ideas?

16. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

I do not approve of this case.

BJ

17. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

18. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

What dont you like about it?

19. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

The title of the thread asks about a VERY THIN hard shell. The one you referenced is the thickest shell available.

BJ

20. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

Ahh, I see....my mistake...it is a great case nonetheless...

21. MsBeauty macrumors member

agree .. incipio feather is the best choice

22. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

You're missing the point.

We're looking for a thin shell that doesn't have the left side exposed for the Smart Cover because we don't want any screen protection at all. We trust the Gorilla Glass, don't want no stinkin' cover. The feather is yet another case that caters to screen coverage, we don't want any part of that.

BJ

23. MLTR macrumors newbie

24. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

The Nude for the iPad 2 fits the The New iPad. I've had the clear for two weeks, very nice fit and design.

BJ