Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 7. I don't want to upgrade my iOS because my phone is super fast and I have no need for new features.

But I do need an alarm clock app that does the following:
  1. Runs on iOS 7
  2. Is a "set and forget" kind of app, so does not have to be launched for it to work (what's the point if I forget to launch the app every single time before going to bed?)
  3. Plays a song from my library
  4. Does not vibrate
That's all I need! So far I've only found apps that either require iOS 8 or later, or can only play custom music when the app is running, and will play generic beeps when in the background, or they also vibrate which makes a horrible sound. I may be weird but I don't sleep with my phone in my pocket so the vibrate function is useless, it just makes noise.

Maybe you guys know an app that does this, or a way to achieve this somehow! Thanks!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you are fine with vibration, iOS stock alarm app seems work for you...
Also Apple seems that limits third party apps to only play built in ringtones while in the background. This does not change much even in iOS 10 as far as I know.

Reactions: pacorob

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Agree with Shirasaki, the stock app should do. My iPhone's alarm wakes me 5 times a week without fail.

You only wish to have it play a song may be a problem. I am not sure if can pick a song instead of one of the ringtones.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
If you are fine with vibration, iOS stock alarm app seems work for you...
Also Apple seems that limits third party apps to only play built in ringtones while in the background. This does not change much even in iOS 10 as far as I know.

Agree with Shirasaki, the stock app should do. My iPhone's alarm wakes me 5 times a week without fail.

You only wish to have it play a song may be a problem. I am not sure if can pick a song instead of one of the ringtones.

Yeah I do use the stock app at the moment but I hate the vibration, waking up to that noise is particularly unpleasant for some reason. The only way to get it to work without vibration is to turn off vibration altogether even for ringtones, but I rely on vibration to know when someone is calling me... and turning vibration off before bedtime then back on in the morning means I keep forgetting to do it and eventually I miss important calls... It's a simple problem but there doesn't seem to be a solution... Maybe I need to buy an actual physical "MP3 alarm clock" if there is such a thing!

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....

The standard clock app works as you desire and also allows you to select anything in your music library to play. Mine is Mussogorgsky's "The Great Gate of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition, but that's just me. Plays the whole thing rather than just a snippet. Not sure about the vibration but I don't notice it.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015

The stock alarm app can indeed play a song - even back in iOS 7. And that's a TIL, as they say on reddit. ;)

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah I do use the stock app at the moment but I hate the vibration, waking up to that noise is particularly unpleasant for some reason. The only way to get it to work without vibration is to turn off vibration altogether even for ringtones, but I rely on vibration to know when someone is calling me... and turning vibration off before bedtime then back on in the morning means I keep forgetting to do it and eventually I miss important calls... It's a simple problem but there doesn't seem to be a solution... Maybe I need to buy an actual physical "MP3 alarm clock" if there is such a thing!

If you set your iPhone on something soft the vibrator will not be so loud. That is unless you got a wacked vibrator that could wake the dead. I had a loose vibrator in my 4s and you could hear it anywhere.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The only way to get it to work without vibration is to turn off vibration altogether even for ringtones, but I rely on vibration to know when someone is calling me...
iOS 7 even allowed us to turn off vibration? I didn't remember... thought it was not possible to turn off completely.
As of notifying someone calling you, uh well, vibration is necessary..

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iOS 7 even allowed us to turn off vibration? I didn't remember... thought it was not possible to turn off completely.
As of notifying someone calling you, uh well, vibration is necessary..
I've had vibration off since iOS 5. Completely. I hate it.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Yeah my biggest issue is the vibration. I hate the sound it makes, because it wakes me up instantly being right next to my head (even when it's set on something soft). I want to choose a song that's very quiet and fades in very slowly, but the vibration totally ruins that...

I'm just so not a morning person! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.