Looking for an elegant SSD sled...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by M Zorin, Aug 31, 2010.

1. M Zorin macrumors newbie

Will the Apple one ever be available to buy as an OEM part?

I know Icy Dock works...

I know OWC sells an adaptor...

But I've a spare HDD bay and prefer Apple's SSD carrier.

2. CyCoPaTh macrumors newbie

The MaxUpgrades sleds look nice, but they don't have the panel on the end to conceal the disk?

I think the panel at the end is what the thread-author (and me) is most hoping to match with the apple stock sleds....

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no panel because the sleds are designed for their SAS card adapter kit.

So they're essentially using the same part for 2 things. For the adapter kit, you can't really put the panel at the end and still be able to attach the drive.

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So you rip the drives of the heatsinks on the VR drives and void the warranty on both? I don't see the point for SSDs. You can get the IcyDock adapter for like $20.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

no they are were never under warranty. I obtained 30 of them without the vr's. From a surplus seller

If you handled a vr sled you would realize the sled is just 4 screws to hold the drive and a sata data/power plug-in. they then are the exact same as a 3.5 inch drive. I don't know what the icy dock is like but these are one solid block of Aluminum. they are really good to keep a 2.5 inch drive cool.

Pretty much an extenstion cord integrated into a heatsink.

They may not have a warranty but pretty much always work just like an extension cord is pretty much super reliable .

My question with the op is why doesn't he or she want the icy dock or the vr sled and the standard mac pro sled for 3.5 inch drives. they would be as good as the apple ssd sled. Well I am very familiar with the vr heat sink and it would be as good.

It would cool the ssd better then most solutions and when viewing the inside drive holders it would look the same as the other hdds. I am not looking to sell any of the vr sleds I am using them for my mac pro that I am ordering on fri.

for looks you can't see a difference and they (vr sled or icy dock) would both work. without anyone seeing a problem.

7. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

that would be cool to have some VR adapters :) for the SSD :)

you got 30 :) cool deals !!!

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

thanks

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm hoping Apple will sell their OEM SSD carrier adapters as well.

I've already asked someone in the Apple store chat and got nothing, not surprisingly.

10. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

and once again why? is it you just want to know the sled is apple. if that's the case buy apple ssd's. like i said the other icy or the vr sled work as well. i could understand an apple freak that wants every piece of the machine to have an apple part,but since you are putting in a non apple ssd why not use the icy dock sled or a vr sled with the mac's 3.5 inch sled. by the way if you really want a ssd sled from apple here try this.

http://www.applecomponents.com/item...-carrier/0000004966?pn=2&cmp=0174&per_page=30

that is the oem part only 240 dollars !

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Because I like how it's designed? It seems quite effective and secure, and even elegant like the OP mentions. Also Apple doesn't make SSDs either, nor any other hard drive in any of their products for that matter.

Nice price btw, but never did the OP or I ever state at what dollar value we were looking for. I don't want to buy it at $240.

I'd go for the Apple one if it went for $20, but seeing as it's not, then I have to look elsewhere.

Anyway, I already have two icy docks on the way.

13. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

That's got to be a mistake surely. They can't possibly cost $240

14. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

if you get an oem hdd it has an apple logo on it. we all know that apple does don't make ssd's or hdd's they stick an apple logo on it.

my point is the apple ssd adapter sled is bling and overpriced but it is very pretty. I would agree with you that at 20 bucks it is worth it. My fault at being so critical was i knew it was very expensive.

I would have posted the price earlier in the thread but I just would have been told I was nuts it can't be 240. I posted the link when it became public. With a lot of pricing on certain items I have more info then most posters. The best solution for price and function is a vr sled with the standard mac pro 3.5 inch sled.

The one advantage the apple ssd adapter has is it will make a little more headroom in the machine. For 240 it won't be worth it. The price will come down in a few months but not right now.

15. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I would agree with you that at 20 bucks it is worth it. My fault at asking so critically was I knew it was very expensive.

I would have posted the price earlier in the thread, but I just would have been told I was nuts it can't be 240. I posted some info a week ago about another item and was asked for proof so this time I posted the link when it became public. With a lot of pricing on certain items I have more info then many members on this forum..

The best solution for price and function is a vr sled with the standard mac pro 3.5 inch hdd holder. the icy dock mac pro 3.5 inch holder is also a good choice.

The one advantage the apple ssd adapter has is it will make a little more headroom in the machine. For 240 it won't be worth it. The price will come down in a few months but not right now. It will never get really low cost ie 20 bucks. It is really a nice piece of metal and since apple knows many of us like nice cool looking gear they overprice it. In a way if you buy the oem apple ssd ( The one apple gives you with the little  logo all apple oem drive have it) YOU get a $ 240.00 sled. You could sell the sled on ebay for 150 bucks replace it with an icy dock sled thus making the apple ssd option even lower priced.

16. philipma1957, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I sold 3 of the velociraptor adapter sleds. I don't have any more to sell,but I am trying to source some more. Here is what they look like with a ssd and a mac pro sled

to the moderators if I should not link this let me know. I am not quite sure how to post any photos on the site.