Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi, me and some friends are interested in playing an MMO. We have played EverQuest, and briefly World of Warcraft.

We played EverQuest from about 1999 to 2005, quit when it got boring and played WoW for about 2 months before quitting because it got boring. We just now decided on playing a new game besides WoW or EQ.

Our options we were looking at were VanGuard: Saga of Heroes, EverQuest 2, Warhammer, or something else.

Anyone have any ideas?

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hi, me and some friends are interested in playing an MMO. We have played EverQuest, and briefly World of Warcraft.

We played EverQuest from about 1999 to 2005, quit when it got boring and played WoW for about 2 months before quitting because it got boring. We just now decided on playing a new game besides WoW or EQ.

Our options we were looking at were VanGuard: Saga of Heroes, EverQuest 2, Warhammer, or something else.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would seriously try WoW again. Its a great game, and theres tons to do, thats why its so popular. I don't know how you got bored, but maybe try a different race this time.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
If you are an old EQ player you should try out Vanguard. Fantastic game and nowhere near as boring as WoW which was dreadful due to its ease.

EVE online is another option although not really my cup of tea personally.

Edit : Opps just re-read the original post :). Yes, Vanguard is fantastic. I've played it since beta 3 and can say it is the only game that has managed to come close to capturing that EQ "magic" that got me hooked on it for over 4 years. If you loved EQ play Vanguard no questions asked.

Jonesy85

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
I played Vanguard for a while and really liked it. I would say try that or EQ2. Both games have great online communities that tend to be helpful and mature. Lord of the Rings Online also has a nice community. Both games look nice, but Vanguard, for me anyway, is a difficult game to get to run very smoothly and still look nice. Soloing and grouping is great fun on either game.

I'm pretty sure both games have a free 14 day trial, so take advantage of that and see how you like them.

esXXI

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2005
Preston, England
I would seriously try WoW again. Its a great game, and theres tons to do, thats why its so popular. I don't know how you got bored, but maybe try a different race this time.

Because once you get to the level cap you either: PVP which becomes extremely repetitive. Casual-PVE (5-mans/10-mans) which has you putting up with stupid people in the galaxy (wot how u no standin in fier is bad ???). And Hardcore-PVE (25-mans) who often treat the game like a job and expect you to schedule around it.

Everything else is just busy work.

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
You may want to try City of Heroes. My friend left Wow after 2 years of playing and is very happy with CoH. They are coming out with a mac version very soon and in fact if you signup now you can beta test it.

-mx

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you are an old EQ player you should try out Vanguard. Fantastic game and nowhere near as boring as WoW which was dreadful due to its ease.

I played the Vanguard Beta, and it really felt like WoW to me. Kills x of this, collect x of that when it comes to routine questing. I've recently run through Ramparts and Blood Furnace in Outlands several times and they are fun, casual experiences, not extremely challenging, but I'm not there to work my ass off. :)

Did you play WoW long enough to get into the leveling instances? If so, how would you compare them like Stockades, Dead Mines, maybe Scarlet Monastery to what Vanguard offers?
Thanks!

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
WoW you played in 2005 is vastly different from the game it is today. You might wanna give it a new go.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I might retry it. The thing I didn't like about it was that it was too easy.

EverQuest in 1999 was truly the best video game I have ever played. Nothing will ever compare to it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I might retry it. The thing I didn't like about it was that it was too easy.

EverQuest in 1999 was truly the best video game I have ever played. Nothing will ever compare to it.

Maybe 40/25 man instances are your cup of tea? Last I heard the 40 player raids take one heck of a lot of work.

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Wrath of the Lich King is awesome, but if you're looking for another MMO and would like to not have bootcamp, City of Heroes & Villains is coming to the mac this month! I can't wait for it. Its a great game thats not so addicting it takes over your life haha!

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I have played most of the MMO's listed and agree with most of the recommendations so far and will add a few of my own.

CoH/CoV: Fun, Win or Mac native (this month) Solid graphics and design despite the dated engine and allows for some really great customization. The player base for CoH/CoV specifically seemed above average to me too: Helpful, very few L33T's and always up for teaming and such. Very Good game IMO.

Warhammer: This is PvP/Group based WoW (for lack of a better expression) :). Amazingly fun with a good group. Scenarios and open RvR gameplay are awesome and offer Alot to do at endgame, Public Quests are innovative and a great distraction from the normal grind. However, its currently Windows only and trying to solo this one or just grind out some xp in the regular game is painfull. You can que up for scenarios but, if its an off-time for the main playerbase you can sit in que forever - same goes for PQ's :( Server loads being so light right now means alot of server consolidation too.

WoW: WotLK: With the new expansion this is supposedly much improved with many new 5-man and more "tlerable" raid sized dungeons. And again, it's Win/Mac native so maybe re-up for a month and retry it with the new expansion.

Avoid: Conan :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not compared to old school EQ raids with 72 people.

I bet a lot of WoW players would faint if they ever had to raid Plane of Hate in EQ when it was new content.

72 participants? God, I hated waiting for 40 players to get organized and on site.

Hey you did not make a comparison of Vanguard to WoW instances like I requested. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WoW: WotLK: With the new expansion this is supposedly much improved with many new 5-man and more "tlerable" raid sized dungeons. And again, it's Win/Mac native so maybe re-up for a month and retry it with the new expansion.

Tierable dungeons is genius and it shows in WoW's subcription numbers.

Unless you are into the hard core raiding 40 player routine, I'd call Wow a fairly casual experience. Bottom line it meets both type of gamer's expections so I highly recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.