Looking for Best controller for MacOS

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MacBH928, Oct 26, 2018.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

I have games from Steam and GOG and I want a controller for them. I am surprised its 2018 and you can plug-in-play graphic cards but PS4 or XboxOne controllers won't work.

I did a little research and it seems they work if you install some open source drivers from the internet. I rather download software from official sources.

If the problem is not being able to work wirelessly I do not mind keeping it connected via USB all the time. Will it work that way?

I have found this controller which is wired not sure if it works on macos without extra tinkering. I was also told that controllers have to have something called X-Input and DirectInput to be able to play older games which is important because I have a ton of classic games on GOG.

2. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

You don’t have to install anything to use PS4 controllers wirelessly. Once it’s paired, they work great over Bluetooth.

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacBH928

is this true for XboxOne too? Why everyone is saying you have to install 3rd party software too?

4. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

No, this is not true for Xbox controllers. Microsoft have their own standard how controllers work and macOS requires special drivers to work with them. Besides, most Xbox One controller don't even connect wirelessly via Bluetooth, which adds extra difficulty.

Who knows? Ignorance?

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

But they work well on a PC. ;) Sorry...

Last I checked both the Razer Nosteomo and their mice work on MC OS.

6. Horselover Fat macrumors regular

7. th0masp macrumors regular

I only tend to play a few old arcade titles (CPS2 and Neo-Geo) in OpenEmu and the odd game in Dolphin. So far I have been using a PS3 sixaxis controller which works fine via bluetooth without having to install anything but isn't exactly the best controller around, merely a survivor I kept from my console days.

The X360 pad would be my favourite as far as controllers go - the right size and weight, great triggers and most importantly for classics - a better D-pad than the Sony (looks like the XB-one did away with that though...) - but I only have the wireless type here and they seem to be problematic on the Mac, even said to be causing kernel panics.

Just ordered a PS4 dualshock which is said to work equally as well as the PS3 model but a better designed device allround.

8. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacBH928

It just does not make sense to be able to plugin a GPU and it works but you can't plugin an Xbox controller

9. th0masp macrumors regular

Well Microsoft was not using bluetooth on these , else I reckon it should have worked just like a wired controller. Wired X360 controllers only came with the cheapest SKUs as I recall. Wireless was the standard.

PS4 controller has arrived now. Some aspects of the 360 controller are still nicer IMO but overall quite the step up from sixaxis, recommended!

10. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacBH928

does it work on older games from mid 90s? I was told the new system is called Xinput and it doesn't work with older games that use something called direct input.

11. th0masp macrumors regular

What I am doing here is running emulators on macOS and these take their cue strictly from the OS which natively supports the controller.

As far as I know the input systems you are referring to are Windows components - if you somehow need those for PC game emulation with a Windows layer in the mix then it's possible that it may not work. It's Windows though - somebody ought to have come up with a homebrew driver for a controller this popular. :)

Btw. in response to your original post - if you decide to go with an Xbox controller you might want to look into the original - the one you have linked is a knockoff and when I was contoller-shopping I noticed that a lot of offers don't seem to be the genuine product. Quality is great on that one.

12. th0masp, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

th0masp macrumors regular

Ok, I liked the PS4 controller so much that I bought another one (for two-player sessions).

Now it appears I can only have one of these two connected at one time. Individually and after pairing they do connect fine but any attempt to hook both of them up at the same time means that the second controller will not connect unless I deactivate the first, then I can switch between them.

Any idea what that is? They both register as Bluetooth devices with the same manufacturer and product IDs but different addresses - seems alright. I gave them different names in the Bluetooth panel according to their case colors. Anything else that might keep them from co-existing?

Edit: It's only these two at the same time - I can add a Sixaxis for a second player and that gets picked up fine but the identical controller model appears to create a conflict for some reason.

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I'd recommend the Logitech F310. Simple, not expensive, quality is adequate, plug and play, multiple controllers work without issues. There's also a switch on the back for the occasional badly-programmed game that only works with Xbox controllers. (Although in that case you do need to download the Xbox controller 3rd party drivers.)

--Eric

14. Robert_Williams macrumors newbie

Robert_Williams

15. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacBH928

MacOS does not seem to be supported

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It says it has X-input and D-input, so probably it works on macOS even if it isn't directly supported (like pretty much all other gamepads). Can't imagine why you'd get that to use with a computer, though, and I suspect that post of being spam.

--Eric

17. CLS727, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

PS4 controllers pair easy over Bluetooth.

XBox One controllers use proprietary Microsoft stuff that needs 3rd party software to make them work on a mac.... pain in the butt

18. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacBH928

Thanks I guess I will got with the PS4 route

19. Dave_O macrumors newbie

The Logitech F310 with Joystick Mapper from the Mac store is a pretty good and flexible setup that works without any additional drivers.

20. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

How easy of a pairing and setup was the PS4 controller (namely on Windows but for Mac too for future reference)? I'm struggling to decide which I should go with -- I come from the PS world so I'm comfortable with that controller, but wouldn't be opposed to an Xbox One controller if it's easier on either/both ends.

I know DS4Windows is what's needed to pair, but I've seen people talking about this "InputMapper" application that the same author has now taken up. Just a bit confused by it all.

21. th0masp macrumors regular

On Mac I never managed to get my two PS4 controllers to connect via bluetooth at the same time. The workaround is to have one connected through USB-cable (by plugging it in first and then pressing the PS button) and the other one via BT, then two player mode works fine. Pairing/setting up a PS4 controller via BT is no issue at all.

22. kaioshade macrumors regular

kaioshade

The Switch Pro controller also works well with macOS via Bluetooth.

23. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

The Xbox One controller also works very easily over Bluetooth...

They don't sell new ones that use the old RF method. Any from 2016 onwards have been your standard, everyday bluetooth.