Looking for casual writers for my blog, interested?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So I just fired up a little web server to host my mini-site and decided to throw WordPress on it for kicks.

After toying around with the software a bit, I decided I think it's great! Problem is, I'm not yet motivated enough to become a blogger, though I will be posting about things that come to mind, or maybe about things that I'm doing, projects I'm working on, etc.

So the point of this post? I wonder if there are people out there that would like to casually blog about anything at all, and are willing to do it on my blog instead of hosting their own or making a generic one at blogspot or something?

I'm not looking to make any money or anything, I just think it would be interesting to manage a small site where others can blog, link their friends too, etc.

What do you think? Is this unreasonable? Would anyone be interested? There are absolutely no requirements other than a willingness to post at least occasionally. :)

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Unless you give writers a byline, they'll probly not be that interested. What's the domain?

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

What is a byline?

Link is in my signature. :)

4. Ttownbeast, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Close. I work for an ISP, so I'm running my server right from my office. :)

The server itself is just a P4 box with a few gigs of DDR. Not what I would consider a permanent solution, but it'll be easy enough to migrate to a better box later on when I start to get a little bit of traffic.

It's working out well. I know what I'm doing when it comes to hardware and managing resources, so everything runs well, and we host our own DNS servers and other things so everything is very manageable. My only expense was $3.99 for the first year of domain registration!

I also really enjoy getting to learn a little more about Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc which are required for WordPress. I'm having a blast, I just want to involve others somehow! :D

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Byline is a writer credit (small paragraph) and link back to their website.

7. danielcox macrumors member

I'd be interested in this if my name gets mentioned with the post in question.

8. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Absolutely! Your username will appear directly beneath the title of the post. :)

I am fine with that. If their website is a blog, I may ask to be placed in their blogroll. Otherwise some sort of mention about my blog on their site would be greatly appreciated.

9. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

OP I'm def interested; I generally just blog about random stuff these days like yahoo news of the weird etc. Not really too concerned with credit or anything I just love to write. Either way I'm in...PM me.

10. Ttownbeast, Sep 2, 2010
  11. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the tip. I am a sysadmin here, working directly beneath the CTO so no issues there.

As far as accessing the server, I will have Contributor and Author user roles set for writers, so I don't think there is much to worry about unless there is something I don't know (I'm no network guru!). We also have a pretty sophisticated set of firewall rules and filters here. :) Anything in particular you would worry about in my situation?

To everyone that has replied or PM'd me, thanks for the interest! I'm glad to have anyone aboard who is interested in doing a little blogging. :)

12. Ttownbeast, Sep 2, 2010
  13. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the tips. ASKIMET came installed, but not activated, so I will go ahead and activate it and have and configure it as I see fit. :)

14. Ttownbeast, Sep 2, 2010
  15. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Just registered my site, got my key, and configured it. I like that it even tells me how many comments it has blocked and it looks like it also allows me to read the blocked comments, allow comments that were wrongly blocked, and mark any that it misses as spam. :D

16. Ttownbeast, Sep 2, 2010
  17. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Very good advice, thank you! I should hope to have that problem someday. :D

Good find. I'll have to contact him and see what he thinks!

18. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks to those of you who signed up! To anyone that hasn't, but is interested, I am still looking for writers. :)

PM me or reply here with any questions you have.

19. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

What theme have you got set on your blog, and do you have a link to it?

20. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think that this is very humorous. :)

22. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Yeah? How come? I wasn't even trying to be funny! :D

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The individual pieces are not funny, in of themselves, but the juxtaposition is a riot. :D

24. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Glad I was able to amuse you, haha. :D

Update: So far, 3 people have decided to register! I am looking forward to the contributions from each of you, and thanks again for offering to contribute. :)

Anyone else that would like to register is more than welcome!

Also, I know that for blogs that receive thousands of hits a day, it is normal to pay a certain amount to active bloggers for their contributions. Since I am not able to do this, does anyone know a good way to attract potential bloggers?

I'm already giving full credit to anyone that contributes, and I'd even be willing to allow each blogger to have his/her own page or category if they'd like -- so long as there is room!