Looking for Good Headphones (bose/shure/other?)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sammyman, Oct 4, 2008.

?

Best iPhone Headphones

1. Shure SE530

20 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Bose Mobile

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Other (please specify)

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I am looking at either the Bose Mobile, or Shure SE530 for a trip to Europe with my family. I will be using them with my iPhone 3g. Which earphones will sound better, and which will be better for traveling? Any other recommendations? (I know that some people bose bash, so honest opinions from people who have actually used the earphones would be appreciated).

2. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I've got Bose around ear headphones and they work and sound great! Bass is great on them and they're extremely light.

Not great for a trip to Europe though cause they're quite big :p

And yeah, I highly recommend you buying the headphones in the States rather than in Europe. My headphones here in Europe cost 150 euro (207 dollars) and the same ones in the States cost 140 dollars plus tax. Both on the Apple store. Everything's more expensive in Europe :confused:

If the Bose mobile headphones are the 'on ear' headphones and if you're buying them just for the sake of your trip, I recommend that you buy the Shure headphones since they're smaller and I'm sure the quality isn't bad.

3. watergun macrumors regular

I own a Shure SE530 but I am sick of its cable (prone to breaking) so I purchased a Westone UM2 to replace it. This is by far the most comfortable headphone for me although sound wise probably a bit inferior compared to SE530.

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Try out the Bang & Olufsen Earset 3. They have excellent fidelity and the call quality from the built in mic is great on both ends of the call. These are not exactly headphones per-se, but they are not the in-ear type of thing either. I love mine and they get great reviews on the Apple Store site.

5. cc999 macrumors 6502

Bose

Don't listen to the Bose bashers. I have the Bose IN EAR headset and they are absolutly unreal. Very comfortable to wear also. You will pay more but you pay for quality. Don not buy until you at least have tried the Bose.

Charlie C

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As an audio enthusiast I can tell you that Bose is loathed in the HI-FI community (go to any forum like AVS and do a search). They are primarily a marketing compony and their products are WAY over priced for the quality you get. I have used many different IEM's and the ones I like the best are Ultimate Ears (I have UE 11 Pros).

7. itouchcx macrumors newbie

Bose for me is far still the best, but also B&O have a fantastic sound...

Price wise i believe that Shure is overpriced!! Check this site is you are looking for Nice affordable branded earphones .

Zulua E-Store

8. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

I have shure, not sure what model, i bought them several years ago, and to this day they still work great, no durability problems here, and i used to use them heavily when i worked in construction

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I don't know if this counts, but I have a pair of Shure SE210's, and they are the best headphones that I have ever used. I have used Bose in-ear headphones before, and IMO they suck compared to the Shures.

Don

10. greenlander25 macrumors newbie

Absolutely. Bose is considered a joke amongst anyone I know who's a music engineer/producer or is seriously into hi-fi, but as for what to get, it totally depends on your requirements.

I have an amazing (but expensive) pair of shure headphones, I love the detail and the fact they don't artificially boost any frequencies. I'm guess bose bump the bass a little. Maybe you want that though, some people do, possibly the majority of people.

I wouldn't consider bose value for money tho.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I have the Shure E500's,same as 530, and the cable has been no problem at all and they get a lot of use,sound quality is the best I've heard but as I haven't tried everything and it's quite subjective anyway you may prefer something else.I'd agree with the general consensus about Bose being overpriced.

12. Smog macrumors regular

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This is kinda ridiculous. I am a Shure fan boy, but you are asking us to compare a Mercedes S65 AMG vs a BMW 1 Series. There really is no comparison, the Bose isn't the best in its price range; and the Shure is questionably the best non-custom IEM. One is five times the other? Really, Bose, V-Moda and anything-else is really not comparison. Except for maybe the UM5, UM10, UM11 and the Westone3; this conversation shouldn't be had.

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

echoing most of the comments on here; stay away from Bose.

15. wrxsilverbullet macrumors newbie

I have the Shure E3cs and I love them. I think that is an old model number though. I tried the Bose but was quite disappointed. Bose does have much better marketing.

The Shures do a better job by reducing external noise instead of generating more noise to attempt to remove noise.

Sennheiser does make a good product as well.

16. iAmBeer macrumors newbie

17. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I think you're asking about the bose "in ear" head phones, which I can't vouch for. However, I travel a lot so I bought some noise canceling headphones. The Bose QC3s are absolutely wonderful and they drown the engine noise out perfectly.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've said this about thirty five times now, but, Bose doesn't make a "bad" product. Although I will say that the in-ear phones would really be the closest to it. Obviously audiophiles are not going to be purchasing the QC3's, but the SoundDock and the Tri-Ports aren't necessarily bad, they are just overpriced. Contradicting this, the in-ear's IMO are legitimately terrible in quality of build and sound.

19. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Personally, I'd stay clear of in-ear headphones all together. If you want good sound, I much prefer the kind that cup over your ears. Aside from that, what are you looking for in your headphones? Good bass? Noise canceling? Comfort?

Not to derail this thread, but I think you could have stayed within one brand and gotten the same effect. In general, I'd say BMW is very competitive with Mercedes at matching price points!

20. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

It's been said before, but yes, Bose is a nice product, well-marketed, but not audiophile quality. The introduction of counter-balancing noice to reduce noise actively introduces a level of distortion and tradeoffs.

Inner Ear Monitors present an even higher level of noise canceling, but in a passive mode. Much truer to the original signal and in the case of high end examples (I own the Shure 530's myself), truly approaching audiophile standards. I have also owned the Etymotic ER4's, which while quite amazing cannot match the 530's for bass impact.

Given the multiple ear tips delivered with the Shures, one should be able to find a good, comfortable fit.

Good luck to all considering a set of high quality cans.

21. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

I would disagree 100%. I've owned the Bose In-Ear's, and Shure SE110's and now SE210's. I got the SE210's on sale for $119, $40 less than I payed for the Bose. The Bose are horrible quality in comparison. I totally vouch for the Shure's and highly recommend them, especially over the Bose which are overpriced for the mediocre quality you get out of them.

22. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

I have both the Shure SE210s and the Etymotic hf2 headsets.

The Shures are OK with nice bass, but the mic is down on your chest and the cable system is heavy and clunky. Not great ergonomically.

The Etymotic headset is very like the pack-in iPhone headphone, with the mic and clicker up near your mouth. Nice soft-touch rubber finish and AMAZING sound. A direct sonic connection to your brain.

Well worth buying.

23. DigMe macrumors 6502

The story of Bose in a nutshell (former Bose owner).

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You cant disagree 100 percent. Charlie C. had the right idea, test them and then iThink you will make the best decision for yourself. That might be the only advantage to the Bose, if you have a Bose store near you, you can test them. i'd recommend bringing something to clean them.

As for my S65 vs 1-Series. My point was that while iThink that Bose makes some nice products, this is not their shinning star and not only is one five times more expensive, but it's likely five times better. So, maybe better example: Mercedes S65 AMG vs C300.