Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
The raw FX1 footage (shot in HDV, not DV mode) is more impressive than any raw DV footage I've seen. It is a true 16:9 camera (it has 16:9 CCDs, as opposed to 4:3 CCDs and a 16:9 "mode"), but it can't shoot true 24p and I find its "cineframe 24" mode to be too choppy (but I'm kinda anal about that sort of thing). Interesting to see if anything comes of the Panasonic/NAB rumor...

GeneralAntilles, you'll have to excuse me for taking the word of your friend's friend w/a grain of salt. ;)

Lethal

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
GeneralAntilles said:
I'm speaking of the image, not the mic. The image quality on the Sony is of a very poor quality, and in most cases worse than a similar MiniDV like the XL2.

Based on FX1 user reports it has chroma noise in blues. Based on my experience the JVC HDV camcorders have chroma noise in reds. The solution to this problem is proper lighting and failing that, a bit of extra work in post. I get noise-free reds with my JVC HD10 when everything's sufficiently lit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.