iPad Pro Looking for iPad Pro 12.9 have a few questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jedi5, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

So I think I might be in the market for an iPad Pro 12.9.
    Just started looking around and have a few questions.

Looking for an iPad for my 11yr old son.
    Upgrading from an Air 2.
    This iPad will mainly be used to surf the net, watch videos, and of course play some games.

For those of you that have his 12.9 iPad, are there any regrets?
    Was to big to carry?
    Is it easy and portable?
    Did you have to buy a case for it or are you able to put it in your backpack no problem?
    For you parents, any of your young kids have this iPad?
    Is it to big for your kids or all is good?

Thanks

2. john905r macrumors newbie

john905r

i have the IPad Pro 12.9, no regrets. i love it!! not to big for me to carry in a backpack. i have a zagg keyboard case on it. my kids don't like it, they like the IPad mini better!!!!

3. Math889 macrumors 65816

Wait for the refresh . March 2017. Just 4 months away!!!

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yep....or at least wait until then because the deals on the first gen Pro will be excellent. Or find one used/refurbished.

5. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

So... Had mine for almost a year now, no regrets in general.

Too big...? Well it fits in my backpack just fine, but then again my backpack fits upto a 15" laptop. That said, I had an Air 2 before I upgraded to this one and it certainly is a lot heftier.

I never really felt that it was too big to carry.

Case... I personally felt that because of its size I prefer to keep it covered, and in fact I had a bad accident with it where the casing was dented and the screen was completely cracked so I had to get a replacement, thankfully I was insured, but since then it's been in a case.

The size only affected my one handed use, as in, with the Air 2, I could balance the iPad on one palm, and use my other hand to interact with it. Now it's more like my arm needs to back it up like an easel to use it one armed.

As for the kid part, I'm not a parent but I've been told by my friends who are petite that it's a big and unwieldy for them.

6. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I love my iPad Pro 12.9, but I will just caution you that it is not ideal for many games. It gets a bit heavy if you are holding it in your hands for long periods of time -- I use mine with a keyboard on the desk 99% of the time. Also, many games are not sized for the 12.9 screen, so unless you have hands the size of Shaquille O'Neal, you may have trouble playing games on the 12.9. Of course it all depends on the game though.

The 12.9 is a great laptop replacement iPad. But if I was planning to use the iPad for gaming, I'd go with the 9.7.

7. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I think it could well be too big for an 11 year old to hold comfortably. Even for an adult it can seem slightly unwieldy.

8. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Thanks all for feedback and suggestions.

I know I should wait till March but I can't.
    My son doesn't have the best vision so I want to get him one now to hopefully help out
    with the ebooks and other homework he has online.

They just seem really bulky.
    He wouldn't be taking it anywhere aside from one floor of the house to another.

Now I need to find a case.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've owned mine since March this year. There ARE situations where the 12.9 iPP is too large. It is unusable on a plane. It is too large when attempting to use it while standing and holding it.

I only use mine with a smart cover / Apple Smart Keyboard and a thin clear skin on the back. If you'll be using a full case (not cover) then you may find that the bulk and weight are significantly increased.

Having said that, the 12.9 iPP makes a great reader, digital notebook, and netbook.

A word of caution regarding using the iPad (and any device with a mobile OS) with online school. Make sure to ask the teachers and peers if the iPad is supported in accessing online material and services (like class chats, whiteboards, etc.)

10. PrettyWings macrumors regular

Not big for me, but I don't know about an 11 year old. I wouldn't put it in a backpack without a case. A pouch might be good to put it in before it goes in the backpack. Applecare would be good to have.

11. Brammy macrumors 65816

I have no regrets. I have a loaner 16gb Air 1 and when I go back to the small screen I think it's cute I used to be happy with that size.

12. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you want the bigger Pro more so because of his poor vision. But actually it's the newer 9.7" Pro that has the better screen (sharper/clearer) so it should lend itself better for viewing/reading, also, for a kid I would think the smaller size would be overall better.

13. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Yes, only getting the 12.9 because of his vision.
    I hope it helps out.
    Find out soon I guess, just bought one today.

Thanks again everyone.

14. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

I've seen this comment a few times in the last couple of days, and, frankly, I don't understand it.
    I often use my 12.9" IPP on planes (for doing work, and watching movies), and have not had any problem with it in coach seats (business class is even better).

Yes, you can't have both the IPP and your meal on the tray at the same time (and even just your drink could be a tight fit), but otherwise it's perfectly usable. A HELLUVA lot more usable than my former 15" MacBook Pro was!

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't know what airlines you fly, but on every flight that I've been on with my iPP w/ASK, it is the same footprint of the tray table. That makes it uncomfortably close to type on and too close for watching movies fullscreen.

16. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

I mainly use the on-screen keyboard when flying. That may be the difference.
    Also don't mind the close-up view for movies.
    To each his own!

17. Math889 macrumors 65816

18. mhoepfin macrumors regular

I gave my 12.9 to my high school daughter who loves it for school and sheet music. I got the 9.7 a few days ago from the Target sale. I REALLY miss the 12.9 and the screen real estate it gave me.

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am not a parent I am single. Anyway I have an iPad Pro 12.9 for 3 weeks now It was nice big screen but I did not know it was too big to hold iPad Pro and bit too heavy to carry in my backpack just like my 2012 rMBP. I doubt your kids will like to hold iPad Pro 12.9 too long. Try Mini 4.
    The reason I bought 12.9 is because I am done with 9.7 and 8" screen size. :)

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agreed. Coach on Delta (3+3 and 2+3+2 seat configs) is fine for reading books, magazines and documents - which is all I do.

Agreed also with having to do a bit of a dance to get the tray table ready when the drinks cart approaches. But it's worth it!

21. PrettyWings macrumors regular

iPad Pro 12.9 is too heavy to carry in your backpack?

22. cibonak macrumors regular

cibonak

I use it as a laptop... ans i play tekken card tournament and scrabble with it. No problem. Not heavy at all... less than 1.1 kilo (below laptop average) if you incluse smart keyboard and backcase

23. Macalway macrumors 68020

More is generally better, and here it's true IMO. I have all three iPads and the 9" seems too small now, but it's a lot lighter. It's funny, when these came out they were called 'clownishly large', like a circus freak, or something.

As most people say, with the smart keyboard and cover it's kind of heavy. Trade offs.

24. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Just rest your drink on your neighbors tray table. Problem solved! :D

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'd really like to know what airlines you are flying. The 12.9 iPad Pro is practically unusable on the flights that I've been on.

Here's a 13" Macbook Air on the tray table of a flight that I'm typically on. That is approximately the size of the 12.9 iPad Pro. With the person in front fully reclined (which is almost always the case) there is even less room.

Even when swapping out the ASK for the smart cover, the iPad Pro needs to be moved closer (due to the lack of clearance from the reclined seat in front)
    Pinch-Point.jpg

I ended up using a wire business card holder (bend slightly to adjust the angle) that fits in the tray table latch hook to watch videos from my iPhone or 7" tablet.

314n-braDDL.jpg