Looking For Mobile Chair Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There is a mobile electric chair along the lines of, but I don't know the brand sitting at my Wife's sister's house:

[​IMG]
    We (note, I use the term "we" loosely ;)) have volunteered to take this chair to her brother who lives in St. Louis. I would really prefer not renting a small travel trailer. I have a Totota Highlander, and with the seats folded down, I'm wondering if the wheels would fit within the back opening of the car, and if the seat on the mobile chair can be easily removed so it will tilt over and the unit fit inside?

Anyone with experience who can address this? Thanks!

I have an elderly neighbor who owns an electric chair, so I plan on visiting him and picking his brain.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Find out the exact brand and model. Then look up the user's manual for it on the web. That manual should have all the specs, including dimensions, weight, etc. It probably also has info on seat disassembly, hopefully including a list of tools required.

Without an exact brand and model, the best you can reasonably hope for is guessing.

3. Zenithal Suspended

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the advice guys! :)

I have to drive over to my Sister in law's house to get it. According to her measurements, it's too tall to put in the back of the car. I'll do a one day trailer rental to get it over to my house. I'll examine it closely including looking at a manual to determine if it can be disassembled enough to slide in the back of the car. I've been told theses things are heavy so if it will fit, I'll slap a ramp together using a couple of 2x4s and plywood to,push it up and into the back of the car. If this does not work, i.e. it will not fit, I'll arrange for a one way rental so I don't have to drag the trailer home with me. I hate pulling trailers and if we going to visit for a couple of days, it might be a wash to do the one way rental vs the daily rental.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I used to work for a pharmacy that also did medical equipment supply back in my early internship days.

There are a lot of different brands out there with different functions. Typically if the seat back does not fold down, it should be removable.

I imagine you'd have to fold down the second row in the Highlander to fit one of those things... but it does seem doable. I suppose worst case scenario the entire seat could be removed and stuck in the back. I've never seen one without a removable seat... oftentimes they are shipped with the seat not installed.

Another option besides renting a trailer would be renting a minivan. Typically minivans have pretty flat cargo areas if the seats are removed/folded flat. You would definitely have enough height to fit the chair without disassembly and would benefit from the low floor height... because yes, those things are heavy.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That's a pretty inhumane way to kill someone, IMHO

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

If the model is indeed the one you posted, it's a Jazzy 1450

http://www.pridemobility.com/pdf/owners_manuals/us_jazzy/us_jazzy_1450_om.pdf

Page 12 indicates a switch to unlock the seat for removal. It looks like the wiring for the controller also easily unplugs from a harness.

Like I said all the chairs I've ever seen have some mechanism for easy transport- either folding seats, removable seat backs, and more often than not removable seats.

If you find the model it shouldn't be too hard to find the manual.

8. Possumgal macrumors member

Possumgal

My mother had two of these, different brands, one of which was similar to yours, though not a Jazzy. The whole seat assembly does come off, which will give you more room than folding the seat down. There is usually a three-prong wiring harness in the back and a bolt near the bottom of the seat stem, which both holds it on and adjusts for height. One word of caution - these seats are heavier than they look.

You may want to mark the wiring connection so you don't get connect it backwards later.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the help guys! My sister in law was nice enough to give me the wrong measurements so I would have been able to get this in the back of our Toyota Hilander. :( Instead, I rented a UHaul trailer and brought it home. It's a Shoprider brand similiar to below. It looks like the seat pops off and the wiring harness unplugs from the chair. I may get no help lifting it, so I might make a cheap ramp to get it up into the back of the Toyota. This will be much better than having to drive 500 miles dragging a trailer. :)

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2017 ---
    Thanks but that was just a guess on my part. See my previous post.