Looking for the perfect leather holster...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by walds11, Aug 7, 2010.

1. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I am still looking for the perfect horizontal leather holster with magnetic enclosure that has a nice form factor. Black grainy leather and contrast stitching is a requirement for me, also cut-out to access the on/off,
    sleep/wake button. I currently have the DLO HipCase. Nice grainly leather, stylish case with contrast stitching. Thin with a nice form factor (corners cut-out), yet protective enough. The case is not bulky and does not stick out for from the belt. I hate the velcro enclosure though.

http://www.amazon.com/DLO-Leather-H..._1_2?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1281088789&sr=1-2

I received the Grantwood Technology QuickFlipCase in the mail today. Well made case and nice looking, but my iPhone 4 swims in the case. There is too much room and it jiggles around a lot in the case. Kind of annoying and it will stretch out with age. The holster is definitely too big. I am kind disappointed. I guess the case was not redesigned for the thinner iPhone 4. Not sure if I am going to keep it or return it.

http://www.amazon.com/QuickFlipCase..._1_2?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1281063158&sr=8-2

Any other ideas?

2. Orlandorealtor macrumors regular

Orlandorealtor

I would stop buying the "cheapie" leather cases and start looking at VAJA, Piel Frama and maybe SGP too.. You get what you pay for!

3. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a Vaja Grip on order. Still looking for the perfect leather holster.

4. Errz macrumors member

am sad that Vaja no longer has the belt clip for iPhone 4. else, i will not think twice on getting one.

5. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

I use the Sena Laterale. I have the black with contrasting stitching. The closure is a snap though, but I prefer it to a magnet. It will allow access to the sleep switch. Has a belt clip, but no ratchet mechanism.

If you order from Sena, don't forget to use the 20% off coupon. PCWIPNK11

[​IMG]

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

7. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not bad. I could get used to a snap enclosure, although I prefer a magnetic enclosure for quick and easy access. How is the belt clip? Sturdy? Seems like the case was designed to be worn on the left side of the waist due to the positioning of the snap enclosure. You would have to reach for the back of the case to snap or unsnap if worn on your right side. Thanks for the coupon code. I may go ahead and order it.

None of their cases use a magnetic enclosure. Just velcro. Yuck!

8. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

I wear it on the right side. Pop the snap latch and push-up the phone from the bottom opening of the case with index finger. Works like a charm.

So far so good with the belt clip. Seems sturdy enough. It's riveted in place and secures quite well to belt. Nice and tight.

It's a very minimalistic classy/dressy looking case with a narrow profile. Just what I l like.

9. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

One handed operation? I like the narrow profile. I hate cases that are bulky.

This Casemate iPhone 4 Horizontal Hipster looks nice. From looking at one of the pics on the website with the iPhone 4 in the Hipster, it looks like a loose fit. It is compatible with the Barely There case, so that leads me to believe that there is going to be too much play with a naked iPhone 4 in the case.

http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Horizontal-Hipster.asp

10. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

Absolutely. Once pushed up, I use my thumb to keep it from sliding back in (when brand new it will stay stuck out, but once the leather 'gives' a little it won't) and then just grab it with fingers. Obviously, you can reach over with the other hand if that's what you prefer.

BTW ( I feel like a salesperson ;) ) the stitching at the 'weak' points is double stitched.

11. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I prefer the one handed operation method.

You say the case is classy/dressy. Would it make a nice casual case that can be worn with jeans or shorts? One reason why I like grainy, textured leather is that it is casual. Smooth leather is meant to be classy/dressy.

12. Errz macrumors member

yeah. anyone using this Casemate Horizontal Hipster?

13. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

My opinion is it will be fine with whatever one decides to wear. I really only made the classy/dressy remark to differentiate from some of the more rugged (Otterbox Defender or Seideo Rugged for example) style holster case's that I would never wear to the office/fine dining.

With the 20% off, it's $32 delivered. Not that expensive for something well made to give a shot.

14. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The leather looks like it has some texture to it, plus the contrast stitching give the holster a casual look.

The holster gets good reviews on apple.com. I guess you have to make sure the snap does not scratch the iPhone, whether it wears down inside the case or flops around on the tab.

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/TW562ZM/A?mco=MTcwNTgxMjQ

15. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

Read that review. The case is lined, so if that snap rivet is visible inside the case then that person got a defective one since the lining should cover it. If the rivet poked thru the lining somehow with a sharp edge or something I'd either return it, file/remove down the sharp edge or cover the rivet with a self adhesive piece of felt.

Fragile review comments? The 'weak' points are all double stitched. Don't see that as of now.

I can't vouch for long term durability, but I'm just not seeing any unusual wear after about 6 weeks of constant usage.

16. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like you said, worth a shot for $32 delivered and it can be returned or exchanged if I don't like it.

17. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

A few more questions. Is the snap enclosure sturdy and functional? Easy to snap with one hand?

18. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

Mine is easy to open/close the snap. If I were to nitpick, I would say a little to easy to un-snap. If it catches on something, it takes little resistance to un-snap it. Non-issue under normal circumstances.

For gods sake man, just order the damn thing.:D

19. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I am going to order it today.

20. Willin33 macrumors newbie

Cases

Has anyone been able to fit an iPhone 4 cased in this holster? What case? Anyone find a holster that works with the Pixelskin HD?

21. nvd13ymost macrumors newbie

Have you guys looked into a HTC holster?? I've been using a HTC holster ever since I bought my first iphone back in '07, I find that it fits nice especially if you are using a case. When i upgraded to the 3g i was surprised that the fit was almost the same with a case on as well. Now with my iphone 4 i needed to upgrade the holster since the one i had was pretty beat up after 3 years. I actually found the next generation of the same HTC holster at best buy and love it!! The case has two magnets that keeps it closed tightly (enough for my phone not to fall out at work and I'm an auto tech). Now the only problem is that it has the HTC logo engraved in the leather, which its not a big deal for me. Here are some pictures of the phone with an ifrogz case:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I received the Sena Laterale (black and tan) in the mail today. Very nice looking, compact leather belt case. The snap enclosure is going to take getting used to. Hopefully it get easier to use as the case breaks in. Also, you have to watch that the snap on the little flap does not scratch the iPhone when you are taking it out of the case.

23. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

Don't worry. The hinge part of the flap breaks in quite fast.

I worried about the snap on the flap scratching mine also at first. The snap is smooth and free of any sharp edges. I have my phone face in without any protective shield and have had no issues.

24. spader macrumors newbie

I can say that the incase folio works for the iPhone 4.