Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I am hunting a pair of headphones for my iPhone 7+ because I am sick of using wired headphones. I am thinking about buying the Apple AirPods, but for the money ($160) I am wondering if there a better option that performs as good or better? I will be using them for the gym, yard work, washing the car and traveling. I was contemplating some noise canceling headphones but I know they all have some added bulk OR they are wired (since the noise cancellation needs power).
Anyone have some input? Thanks in advance!

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Don't Rule out the BeatsX. I have AirPods and Beats and was super hesitant about BeatsX but found them to be more comfortable that Airpods, despite them having a tether. My AirPods have a slight "seem" in them that scratches ear. BeatsX accommodate my odd size ears better. Can wear small ear rubber on one side and medium on other.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
How is the sound quality and usability of the two? Battery life?
I use to own a pair of jaybird bluebuds but lost them over a year ago and have yet to replace them with any bluetooth headphones but I have to do something because the wire is killing me anymore LOL.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you. I also found some good info on https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/

I am torn between the Jaybird X3 and the BeatsX.
I think I am going to stay away from the airpods, not only are they extremely hard to find (still), I don't think they are what I am looking for, plus the fact there are no physical buttons to change songs or volume up/down makes me a little hesitant.

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
Thank you. I also found some good info on https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/

I am torn between the Jaybird X3 and the BeatsX.
I think I am going to stay away from the airpods, not only are they extremely hard to find (still), I don't think they are what I am looking for, plus the fact there are no physical buttons to change songs or volume up/down makes me a little hesitant.

Tough choice - I was facing the same dilemma when I was looking to purchase. I ended up getting both to use in different instances.

I use the x3s for exercising/gym for two reasons:

1. They are sweat (water) proof
2. You can tune the sound profile to whatever you like. I usually go bass heavy when exercising and it pumps me up makes me go harder at whatever Im doing.

beats x I use for casual listening and conference calls:
1. Beats x are way more comfortable, dont fall out and dont result in listening fatigue
2. Because of the way they sit around your neck the microphone ends up landing right next to your mouth which is ideal for taking/making calls.

For the use cases you described I would get the x3s mainly because they are water proof - what i'd recommend is that you use the comply foam tips with the wings i found this combo to provide the most secure fit and passive noise cancellation.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
How is the sound quality and usability of the two? Battery life?
I use to own a pair of jaybird bluebuds but lost them over a year ago and have yet to replace them with any bluetooth headphones but I have to do something because the wire is killing me anymore LOL.
I'm not a big audophile so my description may not be very helpful... BeatsX sound so much better, to me. Battery Life on both to me seemed "fine" but again, I don't wear them all day/often/ or on a regular basis. I don't even know last time I used AirPods. Both good lil buds though. BeatsX just wins for me

scrumpyjack

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Go with the AirPods. Seamless connectivity between Apple devices and very reasonably priced. The competition either has terrible battery life, connectivity issues or costs twice as much.

Reactions: RadioGaGa1984

fre3way

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
I recommend the Bose sound sport wireless. I was in the same boat as you and choose the Bose, fit is amazing and the sound is unreal.

Did you try the airpods? I have the bose sound sport wireless and I'm not really a big fan of them. I love the bose wired headphones but this time, the sound quality just isn't that great but I'm not quite sure how other wireless headphones would compare. But battery and comfort wise, the sound sport wireless are really great.

Jfree3000

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2015
Metro Atlanta
I was looking into the airpods but from reviews I have read is that they lack sound quality. The normal wired ones don't fit in my ear and some say the airpods fit better due to design but I wasn't going to gamble on that. I don't think any wireless buds will sound good due to Apple not utilizing apt x.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I was looking into the airpods but from reviews I have read is that they lack sound quality. The normal wired ones don't fit in my ear and some say the airpods fit better due to design but I wasn't going to gamble on that. I don't think any wireless buds will sound good due to Apple not utilizing apt x.
Really? I've had my AirPods since 12/18/16 when they released. I also own Bose Q35's and love them both. AirPods are so damn convenient its hard not to like. Sound quality = excellent. Just remember that outside sound will affect their sound. But I'd never change them.

Reactions: RadioGaGa1984
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.