Looking to buy a mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Drl26, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Drl26 macrumors newbie

Drl26

I am in the market to buy a imac. Never owned one before let me put that out there up front. The computer is:
    Imac i7 16gb ram 2tb hard drive
    The person selling it said it is two generations old on the i7. Any thoughts or pointers when I go and look at it. Thanks in advance.

2. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

If your budget permits, the current iMac is best bang for the money and should last you 4–5+ yrs and may still have some resale value left.

3. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

From your description it should be a late 2013 27" iMac i7 with 3.5GHz CPU and is it a 2TB Fusion drive, or a 2TB platter hard drive? This is very important, together with graphic card details.

4. Drl26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Drl26

I am not sure I will have to call the person again. Is the fusion better? The price they are asking is 699$ and it also comes with Microsoft office.

5. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

It sounds ok. It is a 4 year old computer. Macs have legs up to 8 years most times so might be worth it. Just don't expect performance. Just expect web browsing, basic apps and such.

6. paulryp macrumors regular

If you stick a SSD in it then you'll have a very nice machine, if not you will probably have system hangs and lag and a horrible experience

7. Drl26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Drl26

Yea that is what I was going to use it for and minor photo editing.

8. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Yes. As it has a 2TB drive, it is either going to be a platter or Fusion drive. The flash storage section of a 2TB Fusion is 128GB and is fast. Of course say a 512GB SSD drive would be better, but don't try and install it yourself. The screen is glued in and a difficult operation requiring new adhesive strips.

If you find it slow you could always use an external Thunderbolt or USB3 SSD as your boot drive.

9. Drl26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Drl26

Thanks for the explanation

10. klky macrumors member

klky