Looking to Buy a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by notoriousVIGGY, Jul 26, 2009.

1. notoriousVIGGY macrumors newbie

Hey guys I am really interested in buying a macbook pro 15" and I am going to be a junior in high school. Should I wait for a new line of macbooks or just buy one. when do you think they will remodel the macbooks again?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you need one, the buy it. If you can wait, then wait?

Was that so hard?

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The current models were just released last month on the 8th. Waiting at this point is counterproductive.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Unless you don't need the thing to begin with.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha ha, true, BUT, the OP did ask if he should buy NOW or WAIT?
    That question generally applies to people concerned about new models coming out to replace the current ones.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, but the foremost rule is, if wait then wait. To the OP. February would be the likely date.

7. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

Depends on what you need it for. Even with the new line of MBP's released last month people still are looking at the refurb models from late 2008. Why? Well you might get more bang for your buck then what was just released. You shouldn't worry so much about getting the new toy on the block or what might get released in a few months (if anything) but grab what is going to provide you the best results for what you need now and enjoy.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, I didn't realize this was going to be a debate between us, I was only answering the OP's question. ;). That being said, unless we're right at the end of a product cycle it's bad advice to tell people, "If you can wait, then wait". This waiting game will go on forever, especially when the next models get released.

Couldn't agree more. Excellent advice. :)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you need one for school, then there's no reason to wait, apple will not be updating the line any time soon. If you can wait, then wait till apple releases a MBP based on the nehalem chipset (clarksfield/arrandale) which we may see sometime in 2010.

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Buy one now. The unibody design is not even a year old yet. A Remodel will not come for at least 3 or 4 years. Give or take. A refresh, (speed bump, new processor, things of that nature) will not happen until AT LEAST Q4 2009, depending on which new intel chips apple will incorporate into their machines. Apple will not be including 8 Gb's of ram as a standard option anytime soon, so 4 is as high as its gonna get for now. And as far as CPU, were basically at the top of the line with the current chips. Like I said, don't expect another refresh until intel releases its new CPU's.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They aren't going to keep a design for five years. There will be slimming and playing around.

12. oregon2 macrumors regular

I second the refurb idea. The only differences are better battery and SD instead of expresscard. The battery is definitely a bonus, but the SD card is worse IMO. Still, for 1349 vs. 2000, I'd say it's worth it. All the other spec differences are negligible.

13. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I Didnt say 5 years. I said 3 or 4. How long did they keep the previous design?

And the white macbook, that design has been around a long while. Its quite possible that this design will last 3 or 4 years.

14. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

The next design will be wood.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well, the design is nearing a year old, so plus 4 = ______.

The MacBook will likely stay in that design for a while because it is the lowest-end model. But for the Pro users, I'd say this current design will see a major overhaul in two years or less given Apple's recent history.

16. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Really? That won't sit well when the magsafe connectors keep catching on fire. Besides, I was hoping for marble or granite.

I was including the previous time. Not adding additional time, I should have clarified that. I think 3 years before a refresh would be acceptable.

Also, the macbook pro's were first released in January 2006, and not updated until October 2008, which is almost 3 years. So A remodel every 3 years is right on par with what I said.

17. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Apple is making everything thinner and thinner. iMac Air, Mac Mini Air, Mac Pro Air, Macbook Air, Macbook Air Air, Macbook Pro Air. :D

18. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Lol. But even though I'm sure well see thinner laptops from all of apples offerings. How much thinner can we really go? I mean, the air has different components completely because of its size. The processor is not as powerful because of heat. And we'd never be able to get a discrete graphics card in an air like form, not anytime soon at least. Simply because of heat. Do I think apple could do it right now? Besides the heat, I think they totally could. I guess we,ll just have to wait though..

Anway, this thread is getting off topic.

To the op, If you need it, buy now. There will be no remodel for a while yet. Whether its another year or 2 years. Its not worth waiting for. Just buy now If you need it.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It sounded like you mean that there was no refresh coming for 3 to 4 more years. Three years is probably the max. given competition now.

BTW, use the multi-quote function.

20. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I have no need to use multi quote. I was not quoting more than one person. The reason it looks that way Is because as I was typing one reply, someone else said something and I replied right after I was finished posting my reply to a previous post.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My bad learn how to use the more confusing "Edit" function.

22. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Honestly I did not find any need to use the edit function. And please stop being so rude. Or are you like this to everyone?

Edit: Does it really bother you hoe someone posts?

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My point was more just to use the feature, your correcting of me, led to me clarifying, but yes, I'm generally obnoxious.

24. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Lol, well at least you admit it:p Ahhhh oh well haha, Its just a forum in the end.