Looking to buy a Macbook- should I wait for Snow Leopard!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pinkrose09, Dec 30, 2008.

1. pinkrose09 macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone!
    I'm looking to buy a Mac book or possibly Mac book Pro to use as my personal laptop for school (final year) and am not sure whether to wait for the Snow Leopard system.
    I was hoping to get it some time in January because I would need to use it throughout the year.
    I heard that Snow Leopard may be coming out around March and June...not sure.
    Anyway I know no one knows for sure yet but is there going to be major differences and should I wait for Snow Leopard. Also if I dont will I be able to up date and get it if I need to when it comes out.

Any advance would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in Advance,
    Nat.

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

If you really want a new one go out and buy one now. The MacBooks have just been updated so they won't get a MacWorld update. Snow Leopard should be out in quarter 1 of 2009 and probably won't ship on them until a month later. When I bought my iMac, 2 months after Leopard was released, it had the Leopard update disc in the box but still had Tiger on the machine and on the picture on the box.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you do not need your MacBook now, then yes, you can wait. However, we honestly don't know when Snow Leopard will be released, we guesstimate only. Guesstimate puts it around WWDC'09.

However, it seems that its more likely that the internals of the MacBook get updated before OS X 10.6 comes out.

Advice: If you need it, buy it now. If you don't need it, wait till next MacBook refresh or until Snow Leo does come out.

5. finnschi macrumors 6502

Not really Neccesarry

I would think that they only issue a small update to the Macbook , considering the just released that HUGE update :apple: !!
    So If you are unhappy with what you have now, get a macbook and i would only guess for a little CPU/RAM bump nothing really to be too exited about before OSx 10.6 comes out, To be really sure ask Steve J. ;) :apple: :apple: :apple:

6. pophardpunk macrumors newbie

i too was going to wait for snow leopard but i couldn't do it!

osx now has everything you need. i looked on that website and it didn't have anything that i really needed.

7. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Apple has not said when Snow Leopard will be out, so I would not wait. IMO.

8. Heimlich macrumors member

I cant find that price info of $129. How sure are you about that?

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Maybe it's because all the other os bumps cost 129. I'm just sayin...

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That won't happen unless you're a developer with a beta seed. Snow Leopard is coming out in June at WWDC. It will be $129.

11. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

it should be that its not official but thats what they all were

12. hhlee macrumors 6502

you might as well buy your macbook now. you can get a student upgrade usually for 70 bucks.

13. Heimlich macrumors member

I see i see

So if the price is as usual, a student upgrade will cost only $70 instead of $129?

14. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

If you're worried about an update, and tell yourself to wait, you'll be waiting forever, and I'm being serious.

Technology is always expanding, and regardless of when you buy your new MacBook, I guarantee you that in about six months, it won't be top-of-the-line.

Someone who isn't going to do much with their notebook also won't see the significant improvement with Snow Leopard I assume, so if you like Leopard, then stick with that for a while.

15. Palliser macrumors regular

16. pinkrose09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for all the advice :)
    I think I won't bother waiting, like Harmless Abuse said then I will be waiting around for ages.
    I didn't wait with my iphone and I'm really happy to have it. I can always update if I feel the need.
    Thanks again everyone!

17. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Just buy it now and you'll definitely love it when you have it on your hand. Snow Leopard isn't going to be a very big upgrade...so yeah.

18. pinkrose09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that Solemony! Im hopefully getting it really soon and cannot wait =)

19. Ploki macrumors 68000

i beg to differ, openCL and Grand Central is big performance wise.
    however i would not wait for it .. :)

20. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I'd buy the laptop when you need it, and not worry about SL. The important thing will be the applications on your laptop for your classes. I'd buy sooner rather than later, so you get everything in a routine so you can focus on your classes and not needing to fiddle with preferences on a new machine.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They were obviously talking about the macbook, not the OS.

22. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

You should look in to getting an ADC Student membership.

You get a "substantial" saving on one mac, and monthly mailings. That has included Tiger and Leopard, and will most likely include Snow Leopard.

23. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I would get it right now.
    There's no promise of Snow Leopard coming out anytime soon.
    However, it is possible that a cheaper MacBook may be announced at MacWorld.
    Also, Snow Leopard doesn't have that many new features, they're mainly "under the hood" tweaks...

24. pinkrose09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I'm in aus so I'm not sure if they have the ADC Student membership. I think I'll wait and see what is announced at Mac World, after all its only a few days and probably get it so time this week.