Looking to buy a new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KFredje, May 22, 2013.

1. KFredje macrumors member

Hello,

I'm quite new to the forums so please don't flame at me when this should be somewhere else.

So, I'm looking to buy a new rMBP. I'm living in Belgium but I'm going to America and Canada at the 3rd of August. I have family over there so there's no problem me ordering one there and pick it up at them. There are just a few questions I have.
    1. Counting 2 weeks of delivery, I have to order my rMBP at least the 20th of July. Would the new Haswell rMBP be out by then or is that a little optimistic (if they are revealed at WWDC at all)?
    2. Considering question 1 is positive and basing on current configuration, should I take the 2.7 or 2.8 GHz processor? I plan to run parallels and some programming software on it.
    3. My last concern would be the guarantee. Would there be a problem to contact Belgium support and help me out if I bought the rMBP in America? Also count in retail stores here.

That's what I got for now. I hope I get some useful answers ^^

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

1) It very possibly will be out by then; it's almost a guarantee if they introduce it at WWDC it will be out before 2 months later.

2) For just parallels and some programming, the 2.8 is overkill and you might even be able to just get the 2.4 GHz.

3) AppleCare is global, so it won't be a problem.

3. KFredje, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

KFredje thread starter macrumors member

You really made my day good with such an answer :D For what would the 2.7 and 2.8 GHz processors be necessary then?

Also, 8 or 16 GB of RAM which one would be best?

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The 2.8 is really only for intense video editing or encoding or things like that. The 2.7 is for high end work. The 2.4 is pretty much just as good as the 2.7 and 2.8 GHz for your uses, just a lot cheaper.

16 GB is better than 8 GB since it is non-upgradeable. For your uses, 8 GB should be fine but if you want to keep it for a few years and update the OS and new apps then you should get 16 GB if you can (in fact, the 16 GB upgrade is mostly negated by not getting the processor upgrade).

Also, look at how much of your current HDD you are using to see if 256 GB will be enough for you, because the SSD is not easily upgradeable on the rMBPs.

5. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

I thought of getting the 2.7 GHz, 16 GB ram and a 512 GB SSD (I use now 600 of my 1TB HDD but movies can go on external one). This is mainly the "expensive" base model. Wondering if Haswell would add some GHz too?

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Haswell adds performance at the same clock, not GHz. Apple decides the clock speed.

7. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

So that would mean 2.4 Haswell would have about the same performace as 2.7 or 2.8 Ivybridge?

8. Bear macrumors G3

You would need the benchmarks.

Also, with Haswell, they may not have some or all of 2.4, 2.7 & 2.8GHZ as options. It depends on what processors Apple decides to use.

9. TjeuV macrumors 6502

3. Fellow Belgian here. For any mac bought you'll have the one year or three year with AppleCare global guarantee as stated above.
    But, in Belgium you normally would get two year guarantee on your rMBP if you buy it here at a premium reseller. You're not getting those two years when it's bought in the USA.

Also, since you're into programming, the qwerty keyboard you're going to have probably isn't an issue? But just letting you know, just in case you forgot.

10. KFredje, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

KFredje thread starter macrumors member

K, thank you :) I'll see what Apple has as surprise in a small 3 weeks.
    I have no problem using QWERTY keyboard I think. I'm used to an AZERTY 17" laptop keyboard with a numpad so changing to an AZERTY or QWERTY keyboard with everything compacted on the few key's there are shouldn't be to big of a problem I guess (hope) :p and since Belgium and France are the only AZERTY keyboard users it would be a shame QWERTY is bad.

EDIT: I might be able (not sure) to take the ISO and not the US QWERTY keyboard since the ISO looks better imo :) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2841?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

EDIT2: I have to buy at Canadian store (http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/ME665LL/A?) since my family lives there, would the English keyboard be US or ISO?

11. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Suggest you buy the biggest drive you can afford and the 16GB RAM, the bigger drive would be a better option than the faster CPU IMHO.

12. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

So, WWDC keynote is over and it appears no upgrade for the rMBP.

As stated before, I have time till mid July to buy one (counting the 2 weeks (max) delivery time) since I want to get it in Canada (much cheaper for me) as it's over 500€ more expensive in Belgium.

Is there a possibility they'll get updated within my timeframe or is this to good to be true?

Option 2 is going to New York (I'll be there the 3rd of August for work) and buy the new one in store.

What do you guys think?

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

14. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Since today's abysmal outcome, the only thing you can count on is a later update, making your most likely option 3rd August.

15. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Or just buy the current one. The new one will have somewhat better performance and battery, but there's a point you have to sit down and buy it.

16. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

Guess I'll wait till mid July and see whats out. Reason why I'd buy it online and deliver it by a friend is cause my time to look around and wait in NY I limited and if the friend could just give it to me I'd save a lot of time.

17. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

K, so here is my deal.

I can buy the current rMBP for about 2700$, about 2000€. In Belgium the new rMBP will probably be about 2700€ (price on current models). Is a 700€ more price worth the wait or should I get the current one?

18. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

That sounds like a lot of money to me, would save that money and buy the current one.

19. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

I'm lucky to fly to America with my parents from Belgium who are paying for the airplane, that's the reason I can it "cheap" and still get one that ain't being used before.

Knowing this, Belgium is paying about 25% more for electronics than Americans or Canadians.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

Don't forget you'll need to pay import duties on your computer, which could very well negate any savings.

21. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

I'm aware of this but I just leave the box and so there so they won't see I bought it there and if it's in my backpack there is no way for them knowing I bought it in America if I have nothing like manuals or so with me.

22. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

700 euros, translate to USD is about $1000 ?
    not worth it IMO

23. Grohowiak macrumors member

Grohowiak

No you won't unless you simply walk to a customs officer and say "Hello, I like you to charge me import tax on the computer I bought because I am a great citizen, love my country and I like to pay extra".

24. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

Beside the fact of cutoms...is there a place where you can only buy the power cable without the adapter? Don't think Canadian flat pins can fit a Belgium round pin socket :p

25. iPlodder macrumors member

Pick-up a World Travel Adapter Pack whilst you're there