Looking to buy an imac, wait till after the wwdc?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Appleguy11, May 29, 2012.

1. Appleguy11 macrumors newbie

So I finally decided I want a 27" 2.7 i5 with 8gb, 1tb sata, I also am fortunate to get the friends and family discount which helps.

Now I know this question has been asking a million times, but I wanted the boards opinion here. Seeing how it is the 29th of May, should I wait till after the WWDC to see what could be released?

I know no one knows what when the new imacs are released, but if any of the rumors come to pass, I think it could be worthy of the upgrade. Anyways, my thoughts aside, with the WWDC around the corner should I wait?

For the record, all I have at the moment is my iphone 4s. And my needs for a computer is web, mail, photos, music and some video editing. Current project is I decided to get into shape and thought about documenting it, shooting some videos, maybe even a movie and see what I could create. Thought an imac would be a good choice for that.

And if you say yes to wait, should I maybe pick up an ipad to have a device that I can use with a larger screen than my iphone?

Thanks in advance

:apple:

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Well, hmm.

Let me put it this way: You have nothing. Something is better than nothing. In all likelihood we'll hear about new models on June 11. But what's out there is more than sufficient for what you need. The only qualms you should have is that you'd be paying 2012 $ for 2011 technology.

Also of note: If you buy today, June 11 is within the 14 day return policy if there are new models. :)

3. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why wouldn't you want to wait at this point. its under 3 weeks away.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Just wait. That 3 weeks is nothing compared to you having to stare at your 2011 imac for the next couple of years. :cool:

6. Appleguy11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the thing, I kind of do want to wait, but I don't know if I am thinking rationally lol

I also don't know if an imac was to be unveiled at the wwdc, how soon would it be available to buy?

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Most often, Apple won't announce a Mac product unless you can walk into the Apple Store (or online) and buy it.

8. Appleguy11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so sounds like it is a good idea to wait. I really need something to work with though, would picking up an ipad in the meantime be a good idea? I'm not sure what kind of editing can really be done on this device.

Thanks.

9. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Honestly, if you are happy with the current gen of iMacs then go grab one. Worst case scenario, you return it. Even if the iMacs do get a refresh, how much better will they really get at this point, i5's are still pretty great and 8GB of ram will serve up more than enough.

The only downside in my opinion is that if a refresh does come, the prices of the current gens should drop a bit which would lead to savings if you opt to wait.

Your call. I would be amped if I could pick up an iMac right this second and would jump on it without question, but that's me.

10. d0nK macrumors 6502

Buying a year old computer instead of waiting a couple of weeks to get the latest tech would be a very, very stupid decision.

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The iPad is a fantastic content consumption device. I'm using it right now to stream a baseball game. But as a creation device, it's somewhat limited in what it can do. You can do basic photo & video editing, but it's not like a set of professional tools.

As I mentioned, there is that 14 day return policy, if you'd be interested in starting up on a 2011 iMac with the intention of swapping it for a 2012 if WWDC does have new models for us.

12. Appleguy11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just bought the new pad. White 16gb wifi and must say I love this device. Should tide me over till the new iMac is released.

13. JayJayAbels macrumors 6502

JayJayAbels

Absolutely wait.

After June 11th you'll have all the pertinent information you'll need to make a much more informed decision on what you'll want or need to purchase. Computers aren't cheap. For the average person they are a 5 to 7 year investment. If you're going to spend over a grand... I think it would behoove you to wait until more details come out.

Just my two pennies. And "behoove" is a great but rarely used word.
    :p

14. mikdog macrumors member

I bought a pimped out 27" iMac not too long ago. Flippen' dig it. I've been fairly lucky in that the 3 Macs I've had, I haven't regretted at all. Even when newer models came out, my mac did for me what I wanted it to.

However, with WWDC so close, I suggest maybe waiting. You could even be sneaky and get an iMac now and make sure the return period falls safely within the WWDC thing. That way, if they do announce a new iMac, you might be able to return it. If not, well, then you can happily keep your iMac.

A bit sneaky, but that's one option.

I'm in South Africa, so even when a new model is announced, it'd still take a month or two to arrive in South African stores, so there's that. Also, the guy I bought this iMac from had already maxed out the Built To Order options on this iMac, so I didn't wait another 6-8 weeks for that to arrive.

15. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

16. Appleguy11 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. radiohed macrumors regular

I totally agree...behoove is an awesome word :D. Oh, and yeah wait until wwdc.

18. Creator macrumors newbie

2 Main Things

Retina Display and IvyBridge
    if you make any media (music, video, pics, animations) the new IvyBridge Processor will be well worth the wait. From what I understand it is about 10%-15% faster and you will definitely feel it, when your Knee deep in HD videos that are waiting to render. Also the new imacs are supposed to have a retina display that you won't even be able to decipher the pixels , this is great for editing. I think this is more of an advance than the processor, but i am heavy on gaming, photo editing, and Video processing. The Firm i work for have given me the go ahead to max out any mac that i want and max out the software on it, and i chose to wait a month and a half for the WWDC and I almost gave in and tried to order The older imac about a week ago, but i'm glad i have waited. i'm going to order the 27" with 32 gb of ram a 256 SSD and a 2 Tb additional HDD. Adobe Creative Suite 6 and Cry when it gets in. The mac pro didn't seem like a good deal based on the amount of money i wouldv'e had to put in. Good Luck.