Looking to buy the unibody

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evelasco, May 17, 2009.

1. evelasco macrumors newbie

As of right now im really tempted to convert from pc to mac cuz of the design of the unibody. Is there any upcoming improvements/price adjustments within the next couple months I can wait for? I heard about a price drop and the back to school promo. Any word on how much for the 2.4?

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

We MIGHT see an update at WWDC, but it will most likely be in October or Macword 2010.

EDIT: Forgot that Apple ditched MW. It will most likely be October.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Forget the 2.4 model. It's overpriced and only performs a tiny bit better than the 2.0 model. Spend the money you save on something else.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I agree. I have the 2.0ghz model, and couldn't be more happy. I doubt we will see any hardware revision on the MacBook at the WWDC. Probably just stuff relating to Snow Leopard. :)

5. JDee macrumors 6502a

Use the search tool on the forum - there have been lots of threads on this.

We may or may not see an update at WWDC - we are all speculating rumours, they may be correct - or they may not be. No one knows here.

The MacBooks's product cycle is nearing to an end in October - so we may see an update then.

6. dbwie macrumors 6502

the 2.4 model

I have and love the 2.4 model. If you are a student, you can likely get a back to school promo (free iPod with your new Mac purchase) if you wait until the fall...

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

With the 2.4 you are basically getting the backlit keyboard. The processor might be 5% faster in normal usage and the HD and RAM can be changed at any time. That being said, I thought the backlit keyboard was worth the extra money.

8. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

refurb?

They sell the 2.4 model as a refurb for $1299 if you're comfortable with refurbished items
    That's the same price for a brand new 2.0 UMB
    I have the 2.0 and my girlfriend has 2.4 (rubs it in my face) but you won't notice a difference between the two except the keyboard and a bigger hdd.
    So for $1099. The 2.0 refurb is a great buy as well. Think it over

9. JCastro macrumors 6502a

+1 on the 2.4 refurb! The I have the MBP, but I can tell you that the backlit keyboard will be more than worth it. Apple's refurbs are good buys too!

10. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Thats exactly how I feel! A lot of people on these boards say "your just paying $300 for a couple LEDs" While thats true.... your really paying to be able to see your keyboard in the dark. I had a couple MBPs before moving to the MacBook and couldn't imagine not having the backlit keyboard. The thing is with the new MacBooks it is even more worthwhile. With my girlfriends white MacBook you can turn the screen up and still see the keys pretty well, but with the new white on black keys its very difficult to see them in the dark.

11. iOrlando macrumors 68000

back to school promo will occur this summer....guessing starting in July or so...probably free ipod touch or equivalent $299 value (similar to last summer). You honestly can't beat the deal.

12. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

wait does the back to school sale also apply to refurbished items?

13. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I'm also tempted, but the 300 bucks of difference between backlit kb and a slight faster processor are not convencing me. I'd go for the 2.0 one, and invest the difference in upgrading RAM to 4 Gb.

About the revision, I'd guess they'll wait in autumn, after the back to school promotions. I don't think they'll be so fool to upgrade the systems, and then apply you a discount...

14. JDee macrumors 6502a

No - it doesn't.

15. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

The backlit keyboard made the 2.4GHz worth it to me.

16. JCastro macrumors 6502a

To the best of my knowledge it didn't last year. Someone else might better remember though.

The backlit keyboard is really nice! and 4gb of RAM will only run you about $50-60 USD. I guess you could save a bit of money though.

17. indiecraig macrumors member

The Macbook is due for an update, despite what the buyers guide says. Since its release it has been updated twice a year - once in the spring and once in the fall. You just have to look at the numbers and you can see that the Macbook is past its average update time, not mid product cycle.

As for whether to go for the 2.0 or 2.4, most users won't notice the 20 % processor advantage, and if you need to look at the keyboard, you're doing something wrong. If you do a lot of typing, whether in the dark or not, you would benefit greatly from learning to touch type. Check out http://www.typingweb.com/, it's free. And once you can touch type, whether a keyboard is backlit or not makes no odds.

18. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I think we'll be seeing some updates too, and me personally I think we'll see integrated 3G support.

19. Hal1980 macrumors member

That was a rather pithy comment. People don't just type in alpha format - many like myself have a large need to type numericly, use keyboard shortcuts, and enter symbols. That is all difficult by touch and especially so in the dark, think airplanes.

For some, a backlit keyboard is an unnecessary nicety, but to others it is a neccessity. I wouldn't even consider a laptop without a backlit keyboard regardless of price.

20. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.