Looking to Connect My Macbook Pro to my TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JohnnyCanuck2, Jan 17, 2010.

1. JohnnyCanuck2 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so take it easy on me :).

I've been watching some television and movies on my Macbook Pro and I just think it would be so much easier and enjoyable if I could watch these on my television.

I have a 42 inch plasma, and am wondering how I can connect my Mac to the TV so I can watch the shows. I heard you can't just get a cable because the audio is transferred from the Mac separately video or something. I'm not really a techy but I'm also not technically incompetent so just give me the best advice you can! Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You'd need an adapter to go from the MBP to DVI/HDMI. It depends on which MBP you have as to which adapter you need and also need to know what your TV requires: either DVI or HDMI.

You will also need a separate audio cable. You can connect either with a 3.5mm stereo > stereo RCA plugs, or digitally with a TOSLINK optical cable (with 3.5mm adapter).

3. sal macrumors 6502

gr8tfly is spot on with his recommendations. You'll need two separate cables(one for video and one for sound)

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Instead of starting my own thread.....

I'm looking to connect my late 2009 13" MBP to my 40" Samsung LCD (LNT4061FX/XAA).

I've found this Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable on Amazon.

I understand that I will require an audio cable and an HDMI cable as well (I have both already).

Is this the correct adaptor for my needs?

5. Gusaroo macrumors newbie

2009 MBP to Sharp Aquos 52"

Just thought I'd share what worked for me:

We first tried to use a Monoprice Mini DisplayPort Male to HDMI Male 32AWG Cable ($11.00 on monoprice.com). When we plugged it in, the Mac identified the Sharp in the Displays prefs, but the TV wasn't getting a signal...not even the blue flash.

After a lot of googling, I started to think that Sharps in particular need the dvi adaptor before the HDMI cable. So we plugged in my Apple mini Displayport to DVI adaptor, then a DVI to HDMI cable ($19.00 at HSC Electronics), plugged the HDMI into the Sharp and up came the video.

BUT...then we lost all audio (I knew audio out isn't an option on the 2009 MBP). We had an audio cable from the headphone jack plugged directly into our Onkyo receiver that had been working. After the HDMI, no audio, even from the TV itself. After a lot of screwing around, we finally moved the HDMI cable to a different port on the Sharp, and it works now.

The picture is fantastic and the audio syncs just fine.