Looking to get an iPhone, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FelixGSTLA, Jan 23, 2011.

1. FelixGSTLA macrumors newbie

My contract with T-Mobile for the G1 has finally ended so I'm looking to get a new iPhone as my next phone, but I have concerns about getting a phone in what seems to be the middle of its product cycle.

How long does one have to wait until they can upgrade an old iPhone to a newer version by renewing a contract? If I were to get an iPhone this month, would I be able to renew and get the new iPhone for the reduced price if it were to come out in the summer?

Thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

We ARE in the middle of a refresh cycle, so waiting for the next version will be in the amount of more or less 5 months.

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Expect a new iPhone every June/July. Apple hasn't had any kind of reduced price thing in the past for when one is announced, I don't think.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Not with AT&T. They ONLY have a 2 year contract. You would be locked in and would have to pay the $600 retail price for the phone.

Verizon has an option to enter a 1 year plan for like $70 more, which is awesome, but you would still have to wait like 6 months.

Your best bet if you're that worried about it is to just chill and use your tmobile phone uncontracted until the new phone comes out in July-ish.

5. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

AT&T = No , Verizon = No one knows 100% yet but I'd place my money on no here to.

6. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

People have stated that they have been told by Apple service reps that they will off the 1 year plan for the iPhone as well. They aren't treating iPhone customers any different that Droid customers. To them, they are both smartphones, they cost a similar price, and iPhone users use LESS data so why would they make tighter plans for iPhone users? It's dumb business.

I'd put my money on VZW keeping the 1 year plan option.

7. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

If you go ATT then you could probably do a no contract, buy an iPhone 3GS or something online fairly cheap and use that til June.

If you go Verizon you're going to probably have to wait until the 2012 refesh for them to offer deals if you do 24 month. You could do a 1yr, but you'd be stuck in a similar circumstance since this contract would end (and offer upgrade) in early 2012 and you'd have the next refresh.

Step #1: Do research in your local area. Find out who has the best overall performance for phone calls, etc. ATT is more "known" for spotty coverage, but just like any carrier its area specific stuff. Tons of users have no issues what so ever, and others have constant voice issues. It's the area.

Step #2. Research the differences between the ATT and Verizon iPhones to see if one of the changes is a deal breaker for you (such as some users will only use the ATT one because right now the chipset in the CDMA version doesn't suport SVDO so it can't do voice/data at the same time like ATT's version does).

Step #3. Profit. Make your choice.

One thing to also consider is you can sell your iPhone (if you get a i4 now) when the i5 comes out, and put that towards your device at full retail. Sure it's not going to be as good out of pocket as a contract phone is, but you'll still get your device for a few bills less, and the other benefit is if you're under that 2yr contract you'll be pretty close to ending when the I6 comes out in 2012 (with true 4G support most likely).

8. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

AT&T will not do a no contract. Not for subsidized price at least. Even the 3GS at full retail will cost him $600. They don't lower prices simply because a new model is out.

9. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I know that. Sorry should have been a bit more clear. I meant if he goes no contract buy a previous generation iPhone online via ebay/craigslist or whatever used, and use that until he gets into iPhone 5 territory. Then upgrade and lock into contract pricing, and sell the previous temp used phone.

I wouldn't buy a phone off contract retail for sure in that case.

10. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I don't think we're going to see a completely new design this summer. I think mostly software with a minor hardware upgrade. If that's the case, the iPhone 4 has more than enough punch under the hood to handle it.

Sure there will be some improvement this summer but nothing drastic. Logically it make no sense for a company in this market. That has only one device to sell against a army of others; to release a product that millions have been waiting on to turn around in 5 months and release a brand new phone and pretty much crap on every one that has waited for it for so long.

It makes much more sense to release a minor upgrade to the unit and a large software upgrade for both phones on the market and focus the attention there. With the upgrade policy, summer of '12 will be the unveiling of the next class of iPhone and both carriers will get it at the same time. If not you're going to alway have the "why do they get it first". Whichever side that may be and it's directed at the company. Not the carrier.

To me this is the most logical path apple would take. They already have a add displaying it's on both carriers now. When's the last time you saw a add for a phone, gadget what with ATT and verizons name side by side? Is don't believe they'll fragment their customer base like that.

So, if you want a iPhone now, IMO, you'll love it. You'll get the cool features in the next update with out missing any. Only a simple hardware upgrade missing and in the summer of '12. You'll get the next model and start the cycle over.

If you wait 5 months, you'll get the latest version and starts the process from there.

I'd say if you want it now. Why wait. You're not promised tomorrow. Enjoy life. If you wanted for 5-6 months for the latest whatever. You'll always be waiting not enjoying.

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It's still up in the air as to whether Verizon will allow a one year contract for the iPhone. It doesn't seem very likely to be honest, especially for only $70 more. AT&T's early upgrade pricing is $399/$499. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon has similar pricing if they do offer the one year contract.

12. FelixGSTLA thread starter macrumors newbie

I just seem to remember hearing that you could turn in your old iPhone along with some extra cash to "upgrade" to a new iPhone.
    Would you recommend that I just stick with my current phone for a half year more, then?