Looking to get my first Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RNGesus, Feb 19, 2018.

1. RNGesus macrumors newbie

Hi all, noob here, and noob to Mac land as well. I currently have a 4 year old Lenovo Yoga 2 I think, that looks like it might be on it's way out. Battery isn't lasting like it used to. Also the screen will randomly repeatedly flicker until you close the shell and then re-open it.

As of right now, not really a power user so it was fine for just general web browsing and other light use. However I did want to start to diversify my skill set and start getting more into tech and start getting into things like web development and video editing.

I've hated windows ever since 8, so I'm looking to make the jump to Mac. Also, this stupid thing updates all the time. I just really don't like what Windows is currently doing.

Anyway started doing research and decided to look at the 15 inch with the 4gig graphics card. Figure might as well get more power than I need so that way it will last a few years. I've had terrible luck with laptops, I've had 3 Dells that only made it 2 years each, and this Lenovo looking like its way out but after 4 years. Ideally I want something that will last me 4-5 years. Also, I just like things to work. I'm not the kind of person who wants to be doing my own repairs and tinkering with things. So that's led me here.

My only concern, is to be one of those guys, is it looks like another model will come out in the next few months. I'm going to be on vacation next week (26th-march 6th) and was hoping to pick one up at Best Buy with the $200 off they have been having. So of course my question is buy now or wait? Or just any tips for new buyers in general.

Also one other thing, I actually mostly use my laptop on my lap. Don't have an actual desk top. Usually just hang out with my laptop on my lap on my couch at home, so hopefully this will be relatively comfortable for such use.

2. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Always wait if you can. Always.

A 15" pro will definitely be couch friendly. I use mine on the couch far too often.

3. Glmnet1, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the 15" MBP is more than enough for your current needs and be fine for the skillsets you want to acquire.

We don't know when it'll be updated but if I had to guess I'd say it'll happen at WWDC in June.

The MBP are usually very durable (mine will soon be 7 years old and still running great!) but there seems to be reliability issues with the keyboard on the 2016/2017 ones. Dust can get stuck under the keys and the repair needed is major and costs 700$... So, if you do get the 2017 MBP I suggest you get AppleCare+ with it and hope that Apple does something about it before it expires.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68000

Falhófnir

There will almost certainly be a new model arriving between March and early June (WWDC) - it will almost certainly bring intel 8th gen processors, most likely with 6 core CPUs for the 15". This might be irrelevant to you if you're not going to use it for more than what you say and certainly you don't need to be paying for the graphics card update either way! If you want to upgrade anything, stick with base specs but go for the 512GB SSD, 256 is quite tight for a main computer.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

If you need a new computer then buy it now. If you can wait then maybe do so. Playing the waiting game is never ending so get what you want when you need it..

As far as the rumored 2018's go, who knows when or what Apple will offer. Could be tomorrow or not until November. The 13" could be AMD or a dual core Intel with Iris graphics.

I'd highly suggest Apple Care + as an out of warranty repair on the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro's is $700+..

6. bensisko macrumors 65816

So... you're suggested to never buy? :D

I just bought a new MacBook Pro 2017 and I don't regret it.

My advice is this: Buy what you need when you need it - unless there is overwhelming evidence that a new model is coming out within a month and it's going to be way better than what is out now. Yes, new MacBooks are probably coming out this year... but they will probably be minor updates and probably come out around WWDC in June. I don't see major updates or redesigns.

Any tips for new buyers?
    • Get what you think you'll need (storage, RAM) because it's not upgradable
    • Buy AppleCare (warranty) - it's a bit pricey but will pay for itself easily if any work needs to be done
      • You can buy from anywhere, but will need to bring your MacBook into an Apple Store for a (brief) once-over glance before they issue the warranty.
    • Mac/Windows differences:
      • Many things are simpler on the Mac - for example, un-installing Applications usually involves just dragging said application to the trash.
      • Many applications will also have a Mac version (Office, Adobe products) - make sure you check to see if a Mac Application is available before re-purchasing.
    • Enjoy!

7. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

As a person who is coming from a 10 year old acer laptop, my macbook pro 2017 tb is mega uprade. IMO there will be always a latest and greatest tech, so if you want macbook pro now - get one, they are powerful and useful machines.

8. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

You're both saying the same thing. If you can wait, you don't need it yet.

If one can wait it means he doesn't need the device yet, he just wants it. If one simply want to upgrade and it's possible to wait for an upgrade then it's really a matter of preferences if he should do it or not.

9. bensisko macrumors 65816

Not really. smallcoffee seems to be suggesting to wait and purchase unless you absolutely can't wait, whereas I am suggesting buying the machine right now (especially given there are no credible rumors to suggest that MacBooks will be refreshed in the next month or two).

I am not someone who waits when it comes to technology unless there is such overwhelming evidence that a refresh is imminent (and even then, the refresh has to be significant). You can spend forever waiting for new tech, and there will always be something newer and better.

That's why, for me, I would rather spend less and buy a lower spec-ed machine knowing that I'll want to upgrade in two-three years rather than buying a machine that I hope will last me five years. Again, that's just my personal view.

10. RNGesus thread starter macrumors newbie

I did have a teacher that once told me tomorrow never comes. I just don't want to make the jump and buy one, and then the new one gets announced just after that.

11. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

That's fine, it's really a matter of preference.

Timing your tech purchases with new releases when possible gets you more bang for your buck though. Think about it:

User1 buys his MBP1 at release date. 3 years later he upgrades to MBP2 at release date and so on.
    User2 buys the same MBP1 6 months after release date. 3 years later he upgrades, again 6 months after release date for MBP2.

Both users would have paid the same amount of money, kept their machine just as long etc. but User1 spends 6 months on an older machine compared to User1 every purchase cycle. Also, the resale value for User2 will always be less than for User1.

The only reasons that make it worth upgrading mid-cycle IMO is if you get a really good deal, if your current device broke and you need a new one right now or if for some reasons the device suddenly doesn't meet your needs.

12. raqball, Feb 19, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Not really though... Sales are going on with the 2017's all over the place right now. I snagged a nTB i5 / 16 / 512 a month ago for $300+ off with free shipping and no sales tax.

It's a dice roll.. Buy now on sale and save some cash and risk an announcement in a few weeks or wait and pay full price (no sales) for the newly released version that could be months away. Apple's shipping times for BTO are a good indication of a new release imminent. I built a BTO earlier and shipping times were minimal and about what I'd expect (a week). Based on that my guess is nothing is right around the corner. When BTO dates get pushed out then something is on the way, usually...

13. vemac575, Feb 19, 2018

vemac575 macrumors member

vemac575

If your screen is flickering, why wait. The newer macs this years, according to any credible sources I've read, wil not have 32gb RAM or 6 cores. Maybe in an update later in the year, but not in June.

Also, there's bee an over emphasis on the keyboard issues. YES people are having keyboard issues, but there are even more people who are not, and the 2017 pros don't have them enough for it to be emphasized that there's an issue with the 2017 keyboard.

Still, since you don't need a ton of power, and will not have a desk setup, I would advise to go for a 2015 13". However, if you think you will need a better graphics card for video editing, go with the 15". Definitley skip the 2016. If you're going all in, get the 2017, if you're not you'll get a better deal on a 2014.

Other than all of that, it's pointless to wait, unless you are ok waiting almost a year, or more.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    Then don't buy one at all. New ones get released twice a year. It all comes down to what's new. So if you wait till June, and there are no new hex cores or 32gb RAM, are you going to wait till the end of the year? If not the end of the year, next year?

You have 4 months to find out what's coming. If you know you can wait that long, not to be a jerk, why'd you make the thread?

14. RNGesus thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if we want to get technical about it, nobody needs anything. I just started doing some research the last couple weeks, watching and reading reviews and what not and decided that the MBP does really well at the things that mostly matter to me. So cool, I'm ready to buy. I figured I'd wait for my upcoming vacation because I really don't want a $2500+ machine sitting on my doorstep all day. So cool, I'm ready to go. But then I look around and see rumors that the next one could literally possibly come out next month, or if not June.

I guess my real question is, does anyone expect the next one to come out in March? If so I can probably wait. The second question is, do you expect any significant upgrades? If the next MBP isn't coming out until June with just a small spec bump, I'll get one next week and not bother waiting. But if there is a giant upgrade expected or a really good chance the next one comes out next month, I can wait.

Really, I'd rather not wait. I was hoping to have one on my vacation so I have plenty of time to fart around with it. I only want to wait if it looks like the next is literally coming out next month, or is expected to be a massive upgrade to the current one.

15. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

New one in March? Probably not.
    Massive upgrade? Probably not.

16. bensisko macrumors 65816

I will echo Glmnet1 - the odds are pretty low that the MacBook Pro will be updated in March.

Look at it this way:
    IF there is an update in March, it won't be a big one - processor bumps maybe (though there may be MacBook [non-pro] updates]. IF there are any kind of major design changes, closer to WWDC is a safer bet. I haven't seen any credible rumors of an impending MacBook Pro refresh (believe me, as someone who purchased one two weeks ago, I looked).

Is it possible? Sure. Is it probable? Probably not.

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    OP: You may be confused between the MacBook (12") and the MacBook Pro (13", 15") which are two entirely different lines of products that Apple provides. The MacBook (which is how you named your thread title) is a 12", very lightweight, very portable Mac with no fans and with one USB-C port for handling everything. The MacBook Pro (13", 15") is very different from that and offers more possibilities. In the past the 12" MacBook has had a springtime refresh, whereas that has not usually been the case of the MacBook Pro. First thing to do is to read up on all the models Apple offers in which you're interested and then go from there.....

18. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I say go for it! It's very unlikely that there is a huge upgrade this year, although it's marginally likely that we will see some sort of spec bump but not until June or Fall.

19. RNGesus thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm specifically looking into the 15.4 inch Macbook Pro with the 4gig AMD graphics card and 512gig HDD. Forgive me if I don't know all the lingo yet, as again this would be my first foray into Mac Land. Though I do have an iPhone and iPad so fluidity with the ecosystem is something I'm really looking forward to. Also, I flat refuse to buy another Dell, and I can't stand Windows anymore. Anyway if and when I get one next week I'll be sure to let you all know how it turned out. Also planning on getting an iWatch with it, but that's for another forum apparently.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

If there was going to be a March release I assume you'd already see the BTO dates slipping way back and they are not. Of course there is no telling what Apple will do. They could silently update them tonight without any fanfare and poof they just appear on the site and for sale..

I doubt we are going to see a March refresh and I doubt that when they are updated it's going to be a massive one. Bottom line is only Apple knows so its always going to be a dice roll unless you buy a newly released version within the 1st 4 or 5 months. It's easy to get into the waiting game. You will see a thread here on MR shortly after the 2018's are announced that will be titled 'Waiting on the 2019"..

I bought one a month ago (and I could have waited) and am happy with my choice. I saved a bundle of dough in the process..

21. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

One of the best aspects of being part of the Apple ecosystem is indeed, the wonderful synchronicity among MacOS computers and iOS devices....it really is fun and amazing! Yes, Apple Watch (ahem, NOT "iWatch") also plays right into the ecosystem as well, and adds another delightful element to the entire system. I love being able to sit down at one of my computers and make a change or two in my Contacts list or bookmarks and have those changes immediately reflected in my iOS devices and Apple Watch. If I'm out somewhere with a friend and he or she says, "oh, yeah, almost forgot to tell you, we're in the process of moving and here is our new address and phone number...." no big deal, I put the info into whatever device I've got with me and it shows up on everything else. Critics can complain all they want about the so-called "walled garden," but I for one find it very, very useful and convenient.

22. jerryk macrumors 68040

Office365 does that for me. Everything on my Windows, Mac, Android, and IOS devices is always synced and applications are the same.

23. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Back in 2005 one reason I leaped into the that point unknown-to-me world of Apple and the Mac was to get away from Windows and all the grief it had caused me....no way would I ever then or even now, taint one of my Macs with adding some piece of Windows garbage. That said, I do realize and I know that people do need to still use Windows for work or school purposes, though, which is really unfortunate. If I still needed and wanted to use Windows, for work or school purposes or whatever, I'd simply pick up a separate cheap Windows machine to use whatever programs were needed and call it a day. That's just me, though.....

24. vemac575 macrumors member

vemac575

That's a gross overstatement... I NEED my security blanket. Mom and dad tell me I'm too old, but I NEED it. Take it away, I dare you.

25. bensisko macrumors 65816

I know it’s a pretty minor thing, but one of my little delights is how my MacBook Pro unlocks automatically if i’m wearing the Apple Watch. It’s a pretty neat little bonus!