Looks like Apple/DHL lost my macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eallan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Eallan macrumors 6502

Well I took it in to get repaired on the 26th. A week later they couldn't tell me anything and someone from the store finally told me the reason.

"There hasn't been a status update because they can't find it."

I had taken the password off that day (IDIOT) to make it easy for the repair depo, so now whoever stole my laptop has all my data :( :( :(

I'm waiting til tomorrow to get a call from DHL as my case was "Escalated" (They like to throw that word around, it doesn't really mean anything).

It's looking more an more like my 5-7 day repair time will be a good while longer until I have a computer again.

VERY disappointed with applecare and this whole experience. I realize it's the exception and not everyone's laptops get stolen, but I personally think one is unacceptable. I'd be looking for a different parcel carrier if a $2500 laptop came up missing even once.

:(

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe they just lost it and nobody stole it? Besides asked for your money back, plus some more for lost data. Better sue them in small claims court.

3. ariesfeng macrumors member

Agreed. I am not sure if you can get extra money for the lost data. but at least you can get a new laptop from Apple or $2500 back from DHL.

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Yep that's what i would do... Yes, it will take time but it's not like your going to end up empty handed.... who knows, you just might score a brand new maxed out MBP to compensate.... unless you already had a brand new maxed out MBP, then i guess your left with what you started with.

5. tonie macrumors 6502

I hope you had it insured and good luck with the process.

6. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Wow ... this makes me thankful I didn't mail my laptop in. Enough bad things have happened to me over the past 2 weeks, from getting my car totaled, to almost having to pay $750 for a fixed LCD screen on my macbook pro.

But look at it this way, if your laptop isn't found within the next few days, express to them how important it is and how they have no choice but to reimburse you with a new macbook pro. And since it's so close to the 14th, you might be able to get the brand new model, for free!

7. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

8. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Apple had nothing to do with losing your laptop, other than the fact that they chose DHL. Bearing in mind that UPS or FedEx could have lost it just the same. ;)

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But DHL has lost more and made more mistakes then any shipping company I've used.

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

No...UPS is far worse. DHL and FedEx are the only companies I trust. UPS never delivers on time, or they deliver it at like 7:00PM, or next day which is unacceptable, and they overcharge more than anything. A 1 pound package (Ground) should not cost over $10 to ship. Go to DHL or FedEx and its more like $5-7.

12. Eallan thread starter macrumors 6502

I've had good experiences with fedex personally.

I place the blame on both of them :). Apple decided to ship it out and use DHL.

It's been a week and a half just about when i'll speak with the DHL guy tomorrow. I simply cannot wait much longer without a laptop. I guess i'll just tell him that.

13. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

dhl

i ordered something. they used dhl. dhl sent the package most of the way and then less than 5 miles from my house they placed the package in the us mail. no bs on this. it really happened. dhl was airborne express. so the name change tells you all you need to know about their reliability. if i had a choice i would never use them.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am fairly certain when I went to inquire about an issue that may have resulted in my laptop having to be sent in for repair they were clear, back up your data as your hard drive will most likely be formatted!

So Apple uses DHL and DHL lost your notebook. It's DHL's fault. Apple lost your notebook with all your personal data without a doubt entirely your fault!

You will probably get your notebook replaced and nada for leaving your crap on there without having a backup. I would NEVER let my laptop out of my sight without having a backup of what is on there and if I ever sent it in for repair that hard drive would be spotless.

15. Eallan thread starter macrumors 6502

I did back it up, that doesn't change the fact that someone has my data out there, which really irks me.

Probably get my notebook replaced? I would certainly hope the probability is one.

16. Jatku macrumors member

Every time I got my powerbook repaired, they just asked for my password. It would probably be best if you keep password protection on, and just phone in your password... for next time of course.

17. Eallan thread starter macrumors 6502

In hindsight I should have just made up a quick temporary password. You know what they say about hindsight however. I was just making things easy :(. I assumed this was a common occurance and there wasn't really a chance of this...

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I won't say UPS has been error free. I only ship FedEx myself.

19. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Everyone has their own horror/success stories with shipping companies. All it took for me was two lost computers (not mine, company's) and I will never use them again, despite pressure due to their prices.

20. Blubbert macrumors 6502

To someone who has physical access to the machine, the password wont mean a thing. There are so many different ways to defeat it. No security measure can protect your computer if the person has physical access.

21. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I remember sending in my old HP iPod for a battery replacement, waited a week, then got a call from Apple saying "Oh yeah, we recieved your iPod shipping box....with no iPod in it." I was so mad because I also had sensitive information on the drive. I called up FedEx (DHL wasn't like around at the time) and gave them a **** storm. Luckily they were understanding and were to refund me with a new iPod.

Long story short...I lost a black and white 20GB HP iPod, and I gained a brand new 30GB iPod Video (which had just come out at the time.) I actually gained from it.

22. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

DHL not only loses stuff more than any other shipper, they've just laid off numerous employees over the last few months. In certain areas, more than ever, they contract out to independent shippers or the post office. I'm not suggesting that UPS and FedEx are without issues, but I can tell you that DHL is the worst of the 3. I have PLENTY of experience.

23. Keleko macrumors 68000

When I ordered 2 Dell laptops for some church employees, one was delivered. The other one wound up in a the wrong city and promptly "lost". At least DHL admitted it and Dell replaced the order quickly. I have another friend that ordered a Dell, and it never showed up with DHL shipping. He's been waiting for a few months for the refund from Dell (he got one from his credit card company already, but Dell still hasn't processed their side).

24. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Apple Repair uses DHL to ship items. The DHL guy was too lazy to use the electronic directory at my front door and left a hang tag. How do I know? The directory rings my cell phone and I can buzz them in. Needless to say, I called as soon as I saw the hang tag and made him come back. I always use FedEx when possible. Don't even start me with the nightmares I have gone through with UPS. They are a local company but not a good reflection on Atlanta.

25. Jatku macrumors member

I would think that most of the thieves are not actually going for the information in the machine. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would probably be easier making fake sites and emails than stealing a whole laptop. Having no password is like having a wide open door to your home, it's more inviting to petty thieves than a closed door that's not locked.