Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
India is a potential market and there will be people who are willing and able to purchase a 5c? Simple economics.

Comments suggest pricing is not ideal, but Apple must believe there is an audience for the 5c.

polzii

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Those in India who can afford an iphone, will buy the 5S, since they want the latest and greatest :p. The 5C is going to be a failure in India. Indian middle class cannot afford any iphone, period.

Apples should start cranking out the gold iphones, Indians will go nuts over those.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm not sure how many people there are like me in the US, but I've never bought a smartphone. I look at off-contract prices. I would be likely to buy an iPhone if it fell into the iPod touch pricing range.

So, Apple is missing out on customers like me right now, not that it's necessarily strategic for them to go after people like me.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I'm not sure how many people there are like me in the US, but I've never bought a smartphone. I look at off-contract prices. I would be likely to buy an iPhone if it fell into the iPod touch pricing range.

So, Apple is missing out on customers like me right now, not that it's necessarily strategic for them to go after people like me.

Apple tried the full price $599/8gb pricing model in the USA back in 2007. They quickly realized it was too steep a price for the USA market. They had to lower it to $399 in 2 months.

Than they did their research and convinced ATT to pay "close to $599" for the iPhones. We all know apple gives carriers a small discount. But never the less. Apple got ATT to buy the iPhones for well over $500 and in return "subsidize" the customer $300 plus dollars and sell the base model for $199. ATT got to keep the revenue from the customers.

60% plus Americans are on post paid plans. Most are on family plans with post paid plans.

Saying all that Apple sells the vast marjority of their phones on contract at the $199/299/399 pricing. The $199 being the most popular

So no. Apple isn't interested in selling a $299 off contract iPhone to lower end customers. Very little profit margin. The carriers are footing most of the bill to apple anyways. But carriers are happy to get you into 2 year contracts.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
The price keeps dropping in the US as well, and it has not even been a month.

The "c" is not doing to well...

It's all according to what you consider "not doing well." If you consider it selling as much as the 5s just a month after release then it's a failure, but the iPhone. 5c was never put out to "sell out." It was put in as the Legacy phone and as far as the legacy phone goes it is selling rather well. Every so called Apple fan on this forum wants the phone to be a failure and that's why they make ridiculous statements. The 5c is the number two smartphone seller how is that failing? The phone was not put out for early adopters it was released for over time and it will be far from a failure

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Those in India who can afford an iphone, will buy the 5S, since they want the latest and greatest :p. The 5C is going to be a failure in India. Indian middle class cannot afford any iphone, period.

Apples should start cranking out the gold iphones, Indians will go nuts over those.

There's a middle class in India? I never saw one when I traveled through there. I saw dirt poor and super wealthy. Maybe what I call dirt poor is their middle class. I don't understand countries such as India that will gladly live under such a caste system. I guess merka is slowly making it's way to such a system.

The price keeps dropping in the US as well, and it has not even been a month.
YOU have this info before any one else (outside of apple) does!?!? How did you get it? Are you sleeping with one of the higher ups or does your uncle's best friend's next door neighbor have a sister that knows a guy that went to school with this girl that works for the higher ups at apple that told you?

Getting so tired of people putting the last nail in apple's coffin because of the 5c. I would bet it's sold millions of units.... any phone that sells that well isn't a failure. I don't enjoy defending apple as I think they're a greedy company that over charges for their products but come one people, speak of what you know not what you ignorantly think you know.

Last edited:

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
There's a middle class in India? I never saw one when I traveled through there. I saw dirt poor and super wealthy. Maybe what I call dirt poor is their middle class. I don't understand countries such as India that will gladly live under such a caste system. I guess merka is slowly making it's way to such a system.

YOU have this info before any one else (outside of apple) does!?!? How did you get it? Are you sleeping with one of the higher ups or does your uncle's best friend's next door neighbor have a sister that knows a guy that went to school with this girl that works for the higher ups at apple that told you?

Getting so tired of people putting the last nail in apple's coffin because of the 5c. I would bet it's sold millions of units.... any phone that sells that well isn't a failure. I don't enjoy defending apple as I think they're a greedy company that over charges for their products but come one people, speak of what you know not what you ignorantly think you know.

This is well said. People goes by the Walmart slashed prices then best buy and then Apple production blah blah. The iPhone 5c was never intended to outsell the 5s at launch. It's intended as another option. Which is why there's plenty of stock. The 5s is only outselling it by 2 to 1. It started out at 3.4 to 1. So 2 to 1 is not awful and does not mean failure. The legacy phone always sales well around the holiday.

But I'm just tired of hearing people say Apple failed and it's not doing good... The fact is it has sold millions and hasn't been out a month.. No one knows if it's not selling as expected and they definitely can't call it a failure yet

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
This is well said. People goes by the Walmart slashed prices then best buy and then Apple production blah blah. The iPhone 5c was never intended to outsell the 5s at launch. It's intended as another option. Which is why there's plenty of stock. The 5s is only outselling it by 2 to 1. It started out at 3.4 to 1. So 2 to 1 is not awful and does not mean failure. The legacy phone always sales well around the holiday.

But I'm just tired of hearing people say Apple failed and it's not doing good... The fact is it has sold millions and hasn't been out a month.. No one knows if it's not selling as expected and they definitely can't call it a failure yet

2 to 1 ratio maybe in the US. Worldwide it's more like 9 5s sold to 1 5c. I too don't think they'll do well in India as I know in India, you either have money or you don't and my guess is the ones that do will go for the 5s as status plays a big role there.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Just look at simple demographics. If only 10% of their population is upper middle class of higher, that would still be close to 120 million people. That's the same population as Japan. That's why Apple is going after the Indian market. There are plenty of people there that can afford an iPhone, and plenty of those with children. 5C and s will do well there.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Looks like apple wants to dump their over produced 5c...

The only reasonable measurement I can think of to compare the iPhone 5C to is this: "Is it selling better than the iPhone 4S did last year?"

That's the spot it took in the lineup (and it costs the same) so is it doing at least that well?

According to this report, it is! So it's funny to me that you both (and that article) all put that news in a negative light when, to me, the 5C seems to be doing better than expected.

The real question is: Why were your expectations so much higher than mine?

Answer that one. I'm curious what made you so certain that the iPhone 5C was going to do better than that.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
The only reasonable measurement I can think of to compare the iPhone 5C to is this: "Is it selling better than the iPhone 4S did last year?"

That's the spot it took in the lineup (and it costs the same) so is it doing at least that well?

According to this report, it is! So it's funny to me that you both (and that article) all put that news in a negative light when, to me, the 5C seems to be doing better than expected.

The real question is: Why were your expectations so much higher than mine?

Answer that one. I'm curious what made you so certain that the iPhone 5C was going to do better than that.

I don't know, but apple asked Foxconn to cut production of the "c" in half.

Sprint is offering the "c" for free (contact).

Bestbuy offering "c" for $49.99. With trade in, "c" is free.

Walmart offering "c" for $45.

Hong Kong has tons of stock of the "c".

China has tons of stock of the "c".

You can order the "c" on the internet and it is available.

You can walk in any apple store or retailer and the "c" is in stock.

If I had the choice between the old 5 and the new "c", I would buy the old 5.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't know, but apple asked Foxconn to cut production of the "c" in half.

Sprint is offering the "c" for free (contact).

Bestbuy offering "c" for $49.99. With trade in, "c" is free.

Walmart offering "c" for $45.

Hong Kong has tons of stock of the "c".

China has tons of stock of the "c".

You can order the "c" on the internet and it is available.

You can walk in any apple store or retailer and the "c" is in stock.

If I had the choice between the old 5 and the new "c", I would buy the old 5.

Not a single thing on that list matters since every one of your metrics contains no context whatsoever. Nothing there tells me anything about how the 5C is doing, either good or bad. Your list could be tacked on to someone saying it's selling well or someone saying it's selling poorly and it would be equally "helpful" to both arguments.

For example, stores often discount popular items to bring in traffic and unpopular ones to dump them. So you listing every single store that's done it tells us exactly bupkis unless you have some kind of other data to tell us which kind it is.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Just look at simple demographics. If only 10% of their population is upper middle class of higher, that would still be close to 120 million people. That's the same population as Japan. That's why Apple is going after the Indian market. There are plenty of people there that can afford an iPhone, and plenty of those with children. 5C and s will do well there.

Correct,there are plenty, but all of them will buy it more for tha status factor of an iPhone in India and will go for 5s. All my friends back home who do plan to buy an iPhone are going for a 5s,not one wants the so called and labelled 'cheap plastic' (by the media) iPhone -it's all about the status factor there.

And frankly, hardly 2% of Indian population will splurge for iPhones, only the rich kids will get iPhones. Middle and Upper Middle class will go to Nokia Lumia 720 or some mid-range android phones.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Not a single thing on that list matters since every one of your metrics contains no context whatsoever. Nothing there tells me anything about how the 5C is doing, either good or bad. Your list could be tacked on to someone saying it's selling well or someone saying it's selling poorly and it would be equally "helpful" to both arguments.

For example, stores often discount popular items to bring in traffic and unpopular ones to dump them. So you listing every single store that's done it tells us exactly bupkis unless you have some kind of other data to tell us which kind it is.

Pretty simple: Supply and demand. No DEMAND for "c" = price takes a plunge....

Kuo said that retailers are slashing the price of the 5c to move the product. Among other retailers, Walmart and Best Buy have already discounted the smartphone's subsidized price to $50 or less.

In a note last week, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek also said that Apple likely will be forced to cut the 5c's price because of lackluster sales,

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101110056

Apple is said to be cutting production of the iPhone 5C in half, from 300,000 to 150,000 units per day,

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57606922-37/apple-reportedly-cutting-iphone-5c-production-in-half/

You sound like you have a "c"heap... :p

Just messin with you,,,

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Pretty simple: Supply and demand.

Yes, demand.

And since my entire argument is that the demand is as high as I expected, I return to my original question: Why did you expect demand to be even higher than that?

You're the one that's apparently the 5c cheerleader here. I thought it would sell as well as the 4S. It did. If you expected it to do more than that I'm not sure why.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Yes, demand.

And since my entire argument is that the demand is as high as I expected, I return to my original question: Why did you expect demand to be even higher than that?

You're the one that's apparently the 5c cheerleader here. I thought it would sell as well as the 4S. It did. If you expected it to do more than that I'm not sure why.

What are you talking about? Demand is poor for the "c". Hence... Apple cut production in half, retailers are slashing prices to move overstock inventory, etc.

It has not even been a month yet... and prices have have fallen...

No one care cares about the 4s. If you are saying the "c" is selling as well as the 4s . . . so, no one cares. THe 5s is selling at least 2 times the "c".

I rather have an OLD 5 and the "C".

mollyparrot

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
People keep saying that the 5C isn't doing well, but it's way too soon to tell. I teach high school and have already seen many of my students come in with the 5C (I haven't seen them with the 5S). One of my co-teachers just switched from long time Android to a cute green 5C and she loves it.

I do a tech survey at the beginning of the year because we integrate phones into the class sometimes, and over 40% of my students (11th-12th graders) have iPhone 4, 4S or 5. They seem to really like iOS7 and the new 5C. I haven't really heard them talking about the 5S, but there is quite a bit of buzz about the 5C and excitement when a kid gets one. So far, green and yellow seem most popular, especially with girls.

The 5C consumer just probably isn't the consumer manically refreshing the phone availability lists or lining up to buy. I will not be at all surprised if half my students have a 5C by the end of the school year. I think this is probably exactly what Apple intended all along.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
What are you talking about? Demand is poor for the "c". Hence... Apple cut production in half, retailers are slashing prices to move overstock inventory, etc.

It has not even been a month yet... and prices have have fallen...

No one care cares about the 4s. If you are saying the "c" is selling as well as the 4s . . . so, no one cares. THe 5s is selling at least 2 times the "c".

I rather have an OLD 5 and the "C".

One thing I'll say .. Sprint was doing the 5c for free on launch day. That's nothing new.

----------

Demand is not that low for the 5c. The reason stock is available is not due to poor sales, but believe what you want. God knows everyone in this forum is right about everything ... Even without correct data...

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
[/COLOR]Demand is not that low for the 5c. The reason stock is available is not due to poor sales, but believe what you want. God knows everyone in this forum is right about everything ... Even without correct data...

Apple, the producer of the device, cutting production in half is enough data for me. I guess you can believe who you want to believe.

Apple is said to be cutting production of the iPhone 5C in half, from 300,000 to 150,000 units per day,

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57606922-37/apple-reportedly-cutting-iphone-5c-production-in-half/

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Correct,there are plenty, but all of them will buy it more for tha status factor of an iPhone in India and will go for 5s. All my friends back home who do plan to buy an iPhone are going for a 5s,not one wants the so called and labelled 'cheap plastic' (by the media) iPhone -it's all about the status factor there.

And frankly, hardly 2% of Indian population will splurge for iPhones, only the rich kids will get iPhones. Middle and Upper Middle class will go to Nokia Lumia 720 or some mid-range android phones.

I'm sure Apple has a far better understanding of the Indian market than any of us on this forum. They know what they are doing. They research, research, and then research the research. They have it figured out all the way down to the guy selling produce on the streets of Mumbai. Every age group, every income level, every education level, etc. Apple never goes into a market on a whim or wild guess. It's is all calculated and planned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.