Loophole to Get the iPhone 8/8 Plus and then iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NickMcCandless, Sep 14, 2017.

1. NickMcCandless macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I'm sure there are a lot of people in my shoes where we have the iPhone Upgrade Program and we want the iPhone X but do not want to wait until November. How can we make or find a loophole that lets us get the iPhone 8/8 Plus and then swap it out for the iPhone X for the lowest cost?

2. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Buy and resell and take the hit. Or, develop a little patience.

3. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

What type of hit would you anticipate this to be?

4. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

In the U.K. you get a 14 day return period with the carrier. So get an 8, then an 8 plus, then get an 8 from a different carrier, then get the X :)

5. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about that but they will be out of stock so will not be able to return and exchange them since they will be sold out for at least a month or two

6. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

7. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Why wait if there is a way to get a 8 Plus to hold me over until the X comes out? :)

8. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Buying with full knowledge you plan on returning is just wrong, doing it twice truly displays a lack of morals. You’ve now forced a company to lose profits on two phones you did not plan on keeping.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

There isn’t... you’re going to end up losing money. If you try to buy and return, there’s no guarantee that you’ll get another phone in 14 days... plus why go through that hassle of switching phones 3 times. It’s just silly

10. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

My first piece of advice is to just wait. Seriously.

But if you truly are this impatient, in theory, you could buy the iPhone 8 outright on a credit card that offers return guarantee, and then make a claim through your credit card to get a refund for the item even though Apple won't accept it.

11. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

AMEX limits this to $300 per item though :(

12. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

switch to tmobile & get Jump on demand. Buy the iPhone 8/+ 64gb for $0 down, no taxes down. Upgrade to the X 1 month and a week later.

13. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Idiotic plan.

Find few good books to read instead.

14. heartburn macrumors member

15. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

Just wait. And as a person who works in the phone selling business, please just wait. I can't tell you how annoying it is for customers to buy a phone, knowing damn well they're gonna return it...and make the poor sales rep have to deal with a phone return and potentially mess up their sales numbers and possible commission. I know a lot of customers couldn't give a damn less b/c it doesn't affect them in any way but that crap is seriously annoying as all hell. Just wait. The phone will be here in about 6 weeks. The device has been rumored since last year. If we can wait a year thus far, surely we can wait another 6 weeks

16. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I really hope everyone does this after the upsell apple is doing with the x. It's not morally correct for apple to have the last years model with a 128 gig. Then this year drop it and have 64 then 150$ hike to a 256. All those 128 gig people wanting to upgrade and put in a big choice and most will spend 150$ more for something because apple pushed them to compromise.
    So yes. I hope apple loses profits because of this pricing behavior.
    If you are ok with it then I have no words.
    Good business sense? No. It's taking advantage of people

17. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Vote with your wallet not with loose morals. The dollar’s value is going down and costs are going up for companies so your costs are going up too.

18. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Are people really giving the OP tips on committing fraudulent and/or immoral behavior? Some of these tips border on fraud (filing a claim with your CC company to let their insurance pay you for an item you bought with the intention of returning).

Seriously, who buys 2-3 phones with the intention of returning them because they cannot wait 6 weeks for the phone they want to be released?? Those phones can't be resold.

19. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

My plan. Finally JOD is paying off for me.

20. oops1975 macrumors 6502

I was initially sold on iPhone X.. but I am having doubts. I am going to order 8+ tonight which gives me 14(+7 days more) days to play around. If I don't like it, I will decide if I want to put it on resale market or return and get X.

21. ihonda macrumors 68000

this is interesting. I'm not totally aware how return protection works.. if apple says 14 days how can a credit card company overturn that?

22. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

Just wait. My cousin Sal is going to "visualize" that his 7s plus is an 8 plus. Might want to try that.

23. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

I have sold a ton of used iPhones over the years and they really hold their value. Since the 8 will be the "latest" phone, with exception of X when it comes out, you could get a pretty good payout if you ordered tonight and sold it in 2 months on craigslist.

150 dollar hit max on the price I would say - if you are patient about selling it.

as for return policy... seems like a giant hassle in the end.

24. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I would buy and keep just to sell when you get the X. You would lose money on it but I look at it this way. It’s two months of payments on another phone that would roughly be $90 for me. So the chance you’d lose much more than that in six weeks is slim

25. kormsby macrumors newbie

kormsby

I can't believe adults are having this conversation. Buying something to use with the intention of returning is dishonest and shady as heck. You all are also the people who whine about price hikes and plan changes that companies have to enlist in order to cover losses from dishonest people like yourselves.