Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Los Angeles rail and bus transit system should allow iPhone-owning members of the public to use Apple Pay for fare payments before the year is out.

apple-pay-la-metro-tap-cards-800x376.jpg

MacRumors can confirm that LA Metro, the transit agency that manages integration of the TAP card system in the Los Angeles Area, said it is working with Apple to support mobile payments for iPhones, with rollout scheduled for this fall. The information was obtained in a public information request under California law.

The support comes as part of a major update to the TAP system currently underway, which includes upgraded fare boxes across the transit system that will receive real-time data about fares purchased by the public online, a new TAP mobile app with TAP Wallet support to debut in late summer, and eventual support for Android phones with NFC, although the timeframe for the latter is unknown.

Apple Pay support would enable commuters to hold a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch near a TAP card reader to pay their fare on buses and at turnstiles in subway stations throughout the TAP system.

The process is similar to using Apple Pay for in-store payments. Depending on the iPhone, that means double-pressing the home button or side button, authenticating with Touch ID or Face ID, and holding the device near the card reader. Apple Watch payments are also activated by double-pressing the side button.

Los Angeles would join a handful of cities with transit systems that already support Apple Pay, including Chicago, Portland, and Salt Lake City in the United States, Beijing and Shanghai in China, and other global cities like London and Tokyo.

LA Metro's introduction of Apple Pay support is expected to increase public use of the transit system, which despite offering good accessibility, has seen its ridership figures wane in recent years.

A 2016 study by the University of Minnesota found the LA Metro to be the third most comprehensive system in the entire United States. However, in a metropolitan area of 13 million people, only about 360,000 people use rail on an average weekday, and just 855,000 ride the bus.

By contrast, in New York City, which has a population of around nine million, about five million people ride the subway on an average weekday.

Article Link: Los Angeles Metro Transit System Plans to Support Apple Pay This Fall

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Awesome news!!!

I’m from Boston, MA so I hope my transit system, MBTA, starts accepting Apple Pay soon! :)

The Los Angeles rail and bus transit system should allow iPhone-owning members of the public to use Apple Pay for fare payments before the year is out.

MacRumors can confirm that LA Metro, the transit agency that manages integration of the TAP card system in the Los Angeles Area, said it is working with Apple to support mobile payments for iPhones, with rollout scheduled for this fall. The information was obtained in a public information request under California law.

The support comes as part of a major update to the TAP system currently underway, which includes upgraded fare boxes across the transit system that will receive real-time data about fares purchased by the public online, a new TAP mobile app with TAP Wallet support to debut in late summer, and eventual support for Android phones with NFC, although the timeframe for the latter is unknown.

Apple Pay support would enable commuters to hold a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch near a TAP card reader to pay their fare on buses and at turnstiles in subway stations throughout the TAP system.

The process is similar to using Apple Pay for in-store payments. Depending on the iPhone, that means double-pressing the home button or side button, authenticating with Touch ID or Face ID, and holding the device near the card reader. Apple Watch payments are also activated by double-pressing the side button.

Los Angeles would join a handful of cities with transit systems that already support Apple Pay, including Chicago, Portland, and Salt Lake City in the United States, Beijing and Shanghai in China, and other global cities like London and Tokyo.

LA Metro's introduction of Apple Pay support is expected to increase public use of the transit system, which despite offering good accessibility, has seen its ridership figures wane in recent years.

A 2016 study by the University of Minnesota found the LA Metro to be the third most comprehensive system in the entire United States. However, in a metropolitan area of 13 million people, only about 360,000 people use rail on an average weekday, and just 855,000 ride the bus.

By contrast, in New York, which has a population of 20 million, about five million people ride the subway on an average weekday.

Article Link: Los Angeles Metro Transit System Plans to Support Apple Pay This Fall

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

Gunnilingus

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010

By contrast, in New York, which has a population of 20 million, about five million people ride the subway on an average weekday.

[doublepost=1548421219][/doublepost]My take on this isn’t that the system will now accept Apple Pay. But that Apple wallet will. NOw support the tap card. Similar to how student ids and store credit card use it. I’m sure they will most likely also accept Apple Pay. The more interesting side is that Apple wallet will now support nfc transit card in the United States. They already do in China

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
London has had this for a few years now, on all trains, trams, buses, and even river ferries.

It's very useful - so much quicker and easier to pay with your phone than fumble for a card from your pocket/wallet.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
lol sure, but NYC needs a new subway system first, it's a complete mess down here.
Considering how relatively quick and easy it was to switch from tokens to MetroCards vs. how hong to it took to produce a very small portion of the Second Avenue Subway? No, I'd rather have ApplePay now, the altogether new subway system may take a few centuries. Fixing the current one though, starting with the L train East River tunnel is a priority.

Also, NJ Transit, etc. do have ApplePay support via iPhone apps (not very reliable, but easy to fix if they tried). There is at least one stop, Secaucus, where you use it to go through the turnstiles. But, not having to wait in line at Penn Station to buy tickets is a huge improvement all by itself.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I assume you've never visited a city outside the US...
I have, many other cities (and not just visited but lived there): Paris, London, Sofia, San Fransisco, etc. NYC subway has a ton of problems, but it also is better in some ways, considering size and speed, the combination of express trains vs. locals, being open 24 hours a day, etc, etc.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I just noticed that in Thailand they now support WeChat Pay too. Apple has competition. Apparently their Wallet can pay around 3% interest too which is more than what the bank pays you to keep money in the bank. Not only that but they apparently insure your money up to 1,000,000 RMB which is not too shabby.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Considering how relatively quick and easy it was to switch from tokens to MetroCards vs. how hong to it took to produce a very small portion of the Second Avenue Subway? No, I'd rather have ApplePay now, the altogether new subway system may take a few centuries. Fixing the current one though, starting with the L train East River tunnel is a priority.

Also, NJ Transit, etc. do have ApplePay support via iPhone apps (not very reliable, but easy to fix if they tried). There is at least one stop, Secaucus, where you use it to go through the turnstiles. But, not having to wait in line at Penn Station to buy tickets is a huge improvement all by itself.

It’s coming. Portions of the Lexington Ave line, as well as all buses on Staten Island, are getting it in May. Citywide rollout will be completed by October 2020 with Metrocards being phased out completely by 2023.

https://www.amny.com/transit/metrocard-replacement-1.19287725

I have to say though that even during rush hour I’ve never had to wait for more than 30 seconds or so to buy tickets at one of the NJ Transit automated kiosks in Penn a station.

Reactions: Reason077

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
London has had this for a few years now, on all trains, trams, buses, and even river ferries.

It's very useful - so much quicker and easier to pay with your phone than fumble for a card from your pocket/wallet.
Not arguing that using AP isn't easier. I think any service that can make transit an easier process is a good service. Adding AP capability is a good thing.

I just giggle at the descriptor "fumble". Who are these people who have trouble using a card? I imagine a station full of commuters bumping heads, stepping on toes, and generally engaging in 3 Stooges antics. "Clunky" is another one.

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo

hah, centuries? You cock-eyed optimist!

I'm all for ApplePay, but I can't see it as a solution for monthly/weekly and discount riders. Not sure how that would work... I think the MTA needs a solution with the subway fare system at the heart of its structure, then consumerism branched out from there. Like SUICA - and the metro in Tokyo - now that's a gem of a system. ;)

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
hah, centuries? You cock-eyed optimist!

I'm all for ApplePay, but I can't see it as a solution for monthly/weekly and discount riders. Not sure how that would work... I think the MTA needs a solution with the subway fare system at the heart of its structure, then consumerism branched out from there. Like SUICA - and the metro in Tokyo - now that's a gem of a system. ;)

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
No matter how often you use Apple Pay for the London tube and no matter how many rides you take on buses, tube, Overground etc, Transport for London only bills you once a month and works out for you, what the cheapest option is. They will bill you accordingly for either separate rides, or a weekly pass, or a monthly pass, or any combination thereof. It is surprisingly ethical in this respect. But you always have to use the exact same device to pay, even if you always use the same credit card, if you pay some rides with the Watch, some with your Phone and some with the plastic card, it will not recognize that its all the same credit card (presumably because Apple uses tokenization). So you always have to pay with the same device.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
It’s coming. Portions of the Lexington Ave line, as well as all buses on Staten Island, are getting it in May. Citywide rollout will be completed by October 2020 with Metrocards being phased out completely by 2023.

https://www.amny.com/transit/metrocard-replacement-1.19287725

I have to say though that even during rush hour I’ve never had to wait for more than 30 seconds or so to buy tickets at one of the NJ Transit automated kiosks in Penn a station.

Imagine waiting in line in China or Japan in the mornings or after work had they not had these kind of payment features via smartphone.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
No matter how often you use Apple Pay for the London tube and no matter how many rides you take on buses, tube, Overground etc, Transport for London only bills you once a month and works out for you, what the cheapest option is.

That's incorrect. Accounts are billed daily, at approx. 2AM in my experience.

You don't pay more than the daily and weekly fare caps for the given zones in which you have travelled. However, there is no monthly fare capping - so in some cases it can still be cheaper to buy monthly or annual passes if you're a frequent user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.