Losing hope...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jker, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Jker macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I've been waiting around for quite a few months recently anticipating and waiting for the so called Macbook Pro 2016... as many of you have too! There's obviously been some strong rumors it may come out in 2 weeks time, and I'm willing to wait that much longer. However, say it doesn't come out then, it would be safe to say it wouldn't come out this year right?

Thanks for your time!

2. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If you are someone who needs to keep up on current technology, then it's probably time to switch to Windows machines, or hackintosh.

With Apple, even if they do eventually release a new model, the writing is on the wall. The Mac is essentially "dead man walking."

4. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Very sad that it has come to this. However, some windows machines are looking great and getting great reviews so it may be time to return to the windows platform.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Apple are currently redesigning their MacBook pros and there is some indication iMacs will get the same treatment next year, Apple would not be spending that sort of development and product line retooling on products it doesn't see a future in.

Just be patient, look what happened when Samsung rushed something through!!! They use the last released chips for there pro line because they won't accept the soft graphics in the 15 watt chips for their 13 inchers and the iris pro in the 15 inchers is a bit of a beast as well for an iGPU.

Intel have shafted them, AMD have only just started to get their mobile graphics cards out for Polaris and even NVIDIA have only got their mobile GPU's into a few laptops over the past month or two. not to mention that it's taken 3 years for the pair of them to move to a 14nm production process.

Silicon advances have basically come to a grinding halt Kabylake means nothing to macs any haswell 28watt iris chip will match the 15 watt Kabylake ones currently being used in other OEM laptops, the 28watt ones will not be out until well into next year. Kabylake 45 watt chips will not have iris pro graphics Apple will be forced back to a dGPU in all 15 inchers after this skylake update, hopefully a good thing but it doesn't help with cooling and portability and almost certainly won't happen until canonlake.

Sure go for Windows laptop you can have a mediocre Skylake chip and a good dGPU in a 15 inch machine if that's what you are after, or you can have a 13 inch with a MacBook Air class chip with pretty poor graphics. If you think this is going to be better than apples forthcoming offerings go for it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, we're seeing some nice improvements by Apple's competitors at a time when Apple has seemingly become complacent.

7. jerryk macrumors 68030

After October you are pretty late in the year. In November people in the US are busy with Thanksgiving. And then in December you have the Xmas holidays.

This could just be another in the long list of MacBook Pro remake rumors. So far we had Oct 2015, March 2016, June 2016 (WWDC) and now Oct 2016. My guess is that a new CPU will come along sometime in 2017, after the MBP level dual and quad core KabyLake processors are released. I am not sure I would buy a Skylake based at this time, even if it had USB-C.

FWIW, Microsoft is said to be working on refreshes for the Surface line in late Spring 2017 Kaby Lake processors.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

First and foremost... I'm a long time Mac user / enthusiast / Apple shareholder. iOS is simply the baggage that comes with the brand.

My take on the future (near and far) of the Mac?

It's hard to say, and seems rather uncertain.

What I have done is collapse all hopes and expectations that Macs will be kept alive and dominate the computing space within Apple Inc. It appears Apple will continue to transition into a mass market phone and gadget maker. Their expertise at collecting massive gross profits fulfills their one and only goal.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, in part because that's been their normal refresh cycle, though MS is having a hardware media event at the end of this month, presumably to introduce a new AIO Surface desktop.

10. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Well, I just got an email from Waterfield Designs (SFBags.com) advertising for their updated sleeves for the "New MacBooks".

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/macbook-cases/products/maxwell-macbook-sleeve#product-tabs2

Maybe they know something......

11. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I would rather use a 6 year old Mac then switch to Windows

12. cez1 macrumors member

13. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Ok two major Apple retailers just put the old models on sale.

Best Buy has 13" Airs for $100 off
    MicroCenter has MBPs on sale for discount

Yep the process is beginning

14. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Possibly. That thin front edge in the photo suggest the Air.

15. Jker thread starter macrumors member

Exciting times...

I'm going to hold out 2-3 more weeks to see what happens, if not I think I might make the switch to Windows... Good day everyone!

16. Ciordia9 macrumors member

Ciordia9

A little more each day.. I die inside.. lol.

If you don't want to release hardware, FINE. Let the OS out. If you want to stay in hardware, FINE. Release a damned upgrade that is competitive.

I don't care which one they choose but FSCKING CHOOSE ALREADY. ;)

17. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Knowing the way Apple works, they'd most likely discontinue the Mac line, and keep all rights to OS X.

But, knowing the way the community works, there would be OS X compatible environments to run in emulators for those who like OS X software as a hobby.

Consider projects like SheepShaver for PPC OS 7.x to ?, Vice for Commodore 64 emulation, Windows 3.x emulator environments, DOS emulation environments, Amiga emulators, etc.

But that is typical enthusiast projects. There wouldn't be any commercial releases of machines running OS X environments, because Apple would sue.

So, OS X would stagnate and commercial support would cease.

18. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

The problem with comparing the Apple OSX and Mac product line to Windows computers is, as some point out, Apple controls both the OS and the Hardware it runs on.

In the windows world there are huge numbers of new products promoted on what it seems like a daily basis as competitors vie for a small slice of the PC hardware business. They literally pump new products with the latest CPU, chip sets and video controllers every month into the market while, it seems, Apple lags behind and doesn't have the "latest" CPUs out when they are released.

Is Apple ignoring the hardware side of the business and letting the Windows hardware crowds dominate? I don't think anything really has changed. Apple computers being sold today still work very well (typically for at least four years), so why should they constantly update the hardware every few months or so?

What I am waiting for is to see how light the 13" pro is going to be. Because of the extra speed I will upgrade from my 2015 12" rMB if the traveling weight is light enough.

If I didn't need the weight and size savings why would I upgrade from the models which came out last year? They work great!

Oh and you all who think Apple is wringing every last dime of profit out of the existing line of Macs, well you are all correct. I will bet the Windows device manufacturers wish they could do the same.

19. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Couldn't wait. Happily using a Surface Book and am not too impressed with that OLED touch display strip rumor. I have the whole screen I can touch on the Surface lol. Hope there's more to the rumors though and it will be great if the new MacBook Pros can work with an external GPU via thunderbolt 3.

Of course there's always a chance that Apple could let us all down with the old same old crap design with slightly updated specs again like they did for the past 3 years.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know any company that would be happy with decreasing sales, the bottom is falling out and Apple has been slow to react. I don't think that's something worthy of emulation

21. Fishrrman, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Mike wrote:
    "I don't know any company that would be happy with decreasing sales, the bottom is falling out and Apple has been slow to react. I don't think that's something worthy of emulation"

Even though they're one of the country's largest companies, and even though they're still bringing in tons of cash, Apple seems to have become "directionless".

Almost as if the corporate attitude was, "look, we're still raking in the revenue, why worry?"

As the result, relatively little action is taken to improve their product lines.
    The Mac line, in particular, seems to be languishing from this attitude.

The new MacBooks, iMacs, and perhaps a new Mini and Mac Pro will give us an indication as to whether Apple intends to keep pushing the Mac forward, or, just keep coastin' along.

But if all they're going to do is coast, they may find that [was once] the loyal base of Mac users begins to walk away...

22. samparmenter macrumors 6502

Come on guys, apple aren't stupid. They can make X if they just make iOS devices and X + Y if they make macs as well. Its an eco-system as well. Mac sales will have been boosted over the years from people trying iOS and naturally wanting to see what OSX was like.

If they stopped making macOS and good hardware then they would lose money on many fronts which is why they won't. They are clearly gearing up for a large release in the near future that will show us what they have been up to. As much as people are whinging that apple is in the dark ages, the macbook pro is still the best laptop out there.

You also have to realise that almost no one in the grand scheme of things actually cares about the lack of updates to the macs. They need a new computer and they buy a new computer. They don't research chipsets, refresh timescales, when the next one is coming out. At most they will probably read some online reviews and the feedback they will get is "it hasn't been updated externally for a while but its still pretty much the best laptop going. MacOS is a great operating system as well"

23. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

They better knock my socks off with the new Macs coming out end of this month!!

24. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

golly gee...sorry that Apple hasn't met your timeline/time frame for updating their hardware.

25. trims macrumors regular

From a UK perspective, the worry is that any new machine will carry a massive price premium (given our currency collapse). The current MacBook Pro is still a decent machine, and has a range of useful ports (unlike the Macbook). I'm disappointed that it has not yet been massively discounted, but might yet buy one when the latest, shiniest, and hugely expensive, MacBook is finally released.