Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Lost all photos after upgrading to iOS 8

ice44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I upgraded and performed a full iCloud backup prior to doing the upgrade.

After i upgraded all my photos are gone.

Is there a way to sync just the photos back ?

JCA90

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Are you looking for just your Camera Roll? That ha been removed so it's only Recently Added now. If you click photos on the bottom left, you will see all of your photos, including the ones from Camera Roll.

Comment

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
if you are referring to camera roll, that is no longer in iOS8 but your photos should still be in "photos" just not under "Albums"

Comment

ice44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Are you looking for just your Camera Roll? That ha been removed so it's only Recently Added now. If you click photos on the bottom left, you will see all of your photos, including the ones from Camera Roll.

Thank you I see htem now

Comment

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
If we have a Mac and Yosemite we won't lose anything? Yosemite is the latest OSX right? I want to be sure before updating. Thanks.

If your using Yosimite then your good to go to accept iCloud drive.

In the Uk i don't have it for my MBA so ill be upgrading to iCloud drive at a later date.

Comment

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
If your using Yosimite then your good to go to accept iCloud drive.

In the Uk i don't have it for my MBA so ill be upgrading to iCloud drive at a later date.
I think I do but am not certain. If the latest public release is Yosemite then I do am in the states?:confused:

Comment

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
I can see all my photos under "Photos", but they're organized into years, which is kind of annoying. I preferred having one place with all my pictures as in Camera Roll.

Comment

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think I do but am not certain. If the latest public release is Yosemite then I do am in the states?:confused:

Yosemite is in beta OSX 10.10 Click your apple and go to about this mac to see what version you have. If you have 10.9 you're on Mavericks and not Yosemite

Comment

ScottC23

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
what if we accept upgrade what can i then not access on my MAC without yosemite? Photos or just docs?

Comment

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Yosemite is in beta OSX 10.10 Click your apple and go to about this mac to see what version you have. If you have 10.9 you're on Mavericks and not Yosemite

Sooo confusing so can I change it later when I get Yosemite?

Thanks for the reply

Comment

FSUSeminole007

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
What about photo stream? I had to delete a bunch of photos off my camera roll in order to have space for the upgrade, but saw them all in my photo stream before I actually did the update. Now, I dont have a photo stream folder, is that part of iCloud Drive, and I just have to wait for Yosemite to be available?

Comment

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
What is this notion that photos are stored in the cloud? Where can I view them? Not on icloud.com so do I have to use iPhoto to see photos that are presumably uploaded to cloud?

Comment

jigzaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
This is odd and will be confusing. No more "camera roll", which is fine, but there is no "ALL" album or anything. All I have is "recently added" and some other categorizations but mostly all my photos are only viewable in that odd "by year and location" tab which does not make looking for a particular photo easy. Also, these older non-"recently added" photos are not accessible to use as wallpaper.

----------

In addition, no more Photo Stream? I used to like that when switching over to my ipad.

Comment

khalid7412002

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
This is odd and will be confusing. No more "camera roll", which is fine, but there is no "ALL" album or anything. All I have is "recently added" and some other categorizations but mostly all my photos are only viewable in that odd "by year and location" tab which does not make looking for a particular photo easy. Also, these older non-"recently added" photos are not accessible to use as wallpaper.

----------

In addition, no more Photo Stream? I used to like that when switching over to my ipad.

This is my biggest issue with the iOS 8 update. I spent some time searching online for discussion on this change after realizing I could no longer see all my photos under one album.

Being able to see all my photos under one album was a quick and easy way to view all the photos saved on your phone. Now, it requires having to know the year of the photo if it was not a recent photo? Seems very backwards to me and something that I hope will be changed back in the future or with a Jailbreak. :confused:

Comment

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Also I opened iPhoto and enabled icloud and only one month's worth of pics from my previous photo stream was downloaded. If all my photos are in the cloud somewhere, we should be able to see them and manage. This experience is very un-Apple

Comment

ice44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
here is what i did

Connected iPhone to PC
Copied all the photos to my PC and then deleted them on the iPhone
Emailed them to myself ( 15 at a time )
Saved them and now show as recent

Comment

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I upgraded and performed a full iCloud backup prior to doing the upgrade.

After i upgraded all my photos are gone.

Is there a way to sync just the photos back ?

perfect example of didn't look, make thread, waste bandwidth

Comment

Ha Brook

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I have the same issue here. Actually, there are lots of tutorials on the internet tell us how to restore iPhone, iPad photos after iOS 8 upgrade. I have tried several ways, and only this way worked for me http://bit.ly/ios8lostphotorecovery

I hope it can help you too.

Last edited:
Comment

MelissaLeigh

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
There are two ways for you to recover files without turn on iPhone.

Way 1: retrieve pictures from iPhone with iTunes backup file
1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.
2. Open iTunes.
3. If you have a new or erased iPhone, iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.
4. Otherwise, Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.
5. Select Restore From Backup...
6. Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.

Way 2: recover photos from iPhone with iPhone data recovery program.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.