Lost data from hard disk

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nalinikumari, Sep 13, 2013.

1. nalinikumari macrumors newbie

Hi:

I connected hard disk to my macBook. I installed seagate software to write the data from my macbook, then all the data copied from my windows device got disappeared. And now I can able to use that hard disk only in MacBook.

Can any one help me out in getting back all the data back, which got disappeared from hard disk.

I have no other source to get that data back. Please some one help me out.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your data is gone now. You pretty much reformatted your external hard drive into Mac partition only. Reformatting erases anything that you had previously.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like Jav says... that data is likely history. If it is VERY important data there are data restoration companies out there that will try to get it back for a fee. A big fee.

4. simsaladimbamba

If you only formatted the external HDD, but did not write any data to it from your Mac, and in order to retrieve files, from accidentally formatted partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
    • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

Anyway, it would be best for you to keep backups and read OS dialog windows, when they appear, as whatever dialog window was shown to you, it should have mentioned, that formatting will erase your existing data. If not, the one more reason to ged rid of Seagate software.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Try Data Rescue 3 for Mac, it just saved my precious pictures and files this week when I did the exact same thing.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Seagate itself should be enough to keep away.

OP, like others have stated, yes you can get a software to recover your data back again, but it is very expensive (see above, $99 average). How worth it is it? Well, that depends on how precious your data was to you.