Lost iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neilp4453, Jun 23, 2009.

1. neilp4453 macrumors regular

So if I misplace my new 3GS (it hasn't been 30 days yet)....what can I do about the 30 dollar data plan?

Will At&t allow me to take it off...or will I have to wait 30 days before I take it off.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Find my iPhone would be the first step AT&T asks from you, if you can't do that, then you'd need to talk to a store or rep manager to handle it. I mean, you pretty much have to prove you really did loose it.

3. war eagle macrumors 6502a

No you don't have to prove anything.

Matter of fact, day 3GS came out I removed the iPhone data plan from the line who's upgrade I used. Just get another sim, put it in another phone, call and tell them you don't have an iPhone.

jav where you get your information from? you just made that all up i'd bet.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, happened to a friend. True story. He lost his 2G 2 months into the contract.

5. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

And they asked him to use find my iPhone? Haha

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why are you asking? Hypothetically (for what reason?) or did you actually lose it?

7. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Lol. Find my iPhone two months after his 2G came out. Yeah, it has great GPS and amazing 3.0 mobileme features. Where the **** did he get this iPhone?

8. sommls macrumors member

There are different ways to get phones back. And more records of where the SIMs started then you might think.

Two weeks ago, I unknowingly dropped my passcode-locked 3G while at a playground with my son. Within a couple of hours, I got an email from Apple giving me an email address of the person who found it. The person who found it called had Apple, who suggested removing the SIM, which they cross referenced to my iPhone purchase. (I also have a MobileMe account, but the notifying email was to an address I had originally provided when I purchased the phone a year ago.)

Obviously, the process might happen a little differently with OS 3.0 but I might think twice about the hidden SIM trick (even late in the season at dusk).

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Obviously that wasn't something hey asked at that point. But truth be told, some AT&T can be pain in the ass. Remember, it's a charge you are "bound" to in contract to gt the 3GS.

10. neilp4453 thread starter macrumors regular

I think you are completely mistaken about your information regarding the iPHone and data plans.

I plan on upgrading two lines and taking off the data plan immediately.

I know for a fact you can take off your data plan whenever you want as long as you stop using the iPhone. That part is in the contract...something about as long as I have an iPhone. I do plan to replace the iphones with two regular phones.

I was just unsure if I could do it in the first 30 days or not.

I was initially going to do a upgrade swap...but I've been told by ATT (and seen posts on this forum) about how both lines will automatically be bumped up to a 2 year contract. Maybe there is a workaround in ATT stores so this doesn't happen...but if my method works...why not? I don't want that. Got to save the contract for next July.