Lost iphone4, what to do??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by head476, May 29, 2011.

1. head476 macrumors newbie

I recently switched to Verizon and got the iphone4 about a month after that my phone slips out of my pocket in a taxi and by the time i realized what had happened someone already had my phone and had turned it off. I had no insurance on the phone or anything. What can I do to get a new iPhone without paying the full price for it? I know this probably sound ridiculous but there has to be some sort of trick out there to get an new iPhone at the upgrade price.

2. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I think Jeff9238 has your iPhone if you put a passcodelock on it. :rolleyes:

3. head476 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well you are going to have to buy a new one. You could try eBay if you don't want to pay full price. Or you could pay an early upgrade pricing for $399 on the phone. If you want the $199 price tag, then you'll have to open a new line. Those really are your only options. Hope you get it back. It might be better to block the ESN so the person can't use the phone.

5. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yeah please call the police and Verizon aswell.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can add a new line to your account and use the subsidy.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Make sure that you change passwords of any accounts that you access on your iPhone (email, facebook, bank accounts, etc.)

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I doubt you'll get anything from the police.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

ROFL. Ya, he is really trying his hardest to hack into that phone so that he can "return to the owner."

Anyways, AFAIK you can file a police report since the handset has a retail >$200 and hope for the best. You mentioned the phone is off so I doubt find my iPhone will work but you can keep trying if you had set it up (if you didn't.. make sure you do it first thing you get your phone back or get a new iOS device).

10. GADeputy macrumors newbie

GADeputy

If you would have installed "Find my iPhone" on your phone you could have tracked it, sent it an alarm sound along with a message, sent it a lock command so the person that found it couldn't use it, or even wiped it which erases all of your personal data.
    Another good app to install is "FoneHome". With FoneHome you can send your phone a message and when the person that has it opens the message it takes a picture of them and sends it to you. At that point you can track your phone and find out where it is.
    I recommend installing both "Find my iPhone" and "FoneHome" on any iPhone 4. I actually used "Find my iPhone" recently when I misplaced my phone. I couldn't remember where I had it last so I went to the Find my iPhone site on my computer, logged in and was able to discover that I had left my phone at work. Without using Find my iPhone I would have spend hours searching for it at home and been very frustrated.

11. xparacha macrumors newbie

12. head476 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea i did everything i could with the find my iphone thing but its been gone for 2 weeks now so its as good as gone. Police wont do anything since i don't know what taxi company i used their is really no leads there. I tried calling the phone less then 5 minutes after getting out of the taxi and it was already off, who ever took it knew what they were doing.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sucks that you lost your iPhone, OP. Hate to say it, but this is going to be one of those expensive "life lessons."

14. chris227 macrumors newbie

You just gave the taxi driver a new iPhone. Find him and you'll find your phone.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Seeing how the OP can't even remember the taxi company he used, it is unlikely that he will find the taxi driver.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

This sounds like a good action movie:)

17. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

lol as long as he gets the right taxi driver and doesn't beat up one that just happens to have an iphone (a la that umpire that beat up a random guy lol)