iPod Lost my 4 gigs

Taylor233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Hey all, I recently Bought a Chinese 4 gig Ipod. I have started to put songs on it. after around 15 songs it just lost all its memory and said i have 1 Mb left. I dont know why and i certenly have not used that much room
so help would be appreciated.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What do you mean by "Chinese" 4 gig Ipod? Is it a knock-off?

What format are your songs in?

Taylor233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
I dont think it is, My Grandfather bought it when he was in China. I had trouble figuring it out at first, But after I got it to work, It just lost all of its memory.

Taylor233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
I think i have Itoons 7 but it says an update is availible,so im going to get that first.

Taylor233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Ok, so no its apperently Not compatible with Itunes. Is there another way to Restore it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Taylor233 said:
Ok, so no its apperently Not compatible with Itunes. Is there another way to Restore it.
Sounds like a knock-off. Can you post a pic of it? Especially with the screen on.

Looks like your grandfather got taken for a ride...sorry. :(

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
When you start a new post, click on 'manage attachments'. This gives you a place to upload image files of the appropriate size.
Alternatively you can link to files hosted on external servers like imageshack or photobucket.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Oh yeah...that's not an iPod at all. It's a fake.

We won't be able to help...it won't work with iTunes and it likely doesn't have 4 GB of memory in it anyway. Sorry. :(

Edit: Here's a pic of a real one.

nano_fntandside_blk.jpg

Taylor233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
so the logical answer would be to dump it and buy a nano or somthing like that.

Taylor233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
The funny thing is, Windows Recognizes 4.0 gigs on it, but says 3.5 have been used. (now that i deleted unwanted songs)

Edit-So I'm thinking that theres some file in there that is taking up lots of room.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It looks a bit like this knock-off, but it's not exactly the same.

Congratulations if it actually has 4 GB of space on it...it'll be interesting to see what it can do. It certainly won't play songs purchased through iTunes. It might play MP3s, and maybe WMAs. It almost certainly won't work with a Mac.

Did it come with any sort of restore disc? Can you navigate to any directories on it through Windows and see what's there?

Taylor233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Yes it came with a disk, But it is not in a Recognizable Format. And yes I can go through the directories in it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Can you find any files on it that would account for the space?

Sorry...I'm not a Windows guy, so I can't really help you figure it out.

Taylor233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
1st Question- No i do not see any files that are huge on it... I have heard about files that are unseen, and hog Hard drive space.

2nd Question- I don't know the format it did not say.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Plug it into your PC, then goto my computer and find it there. Right click it and goto properties, then screenshot it for us, Please. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.