Lost my dog this evening.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by firedept, Oct 19, 2014.

1. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Lost one of my best friends tonight. It is routine when I get home that my bulldog Sluggo and I play tug of war for 10-15 minutes. It is his way of saying hello to me. He was only 7 years old and a beautiful joy to have.

Well I got home from work, as usual we started to play for only about 30 seconds and all of a sudden he flops on his side and stops breathing. I immediately start CPR as my wife is calling the vet. But unfortunately by the time we get to the vet, even with CPR, he had passed.

I will miss him. He was quite a joy. For anyone reading this, it is like losing one of the family. It will be a tough couple of days around here. My teenage boys and wife are taking it hard. Sorry if I am rambling, but I just needed to put something into words.

Attached Files:

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Sorry for your loss. He looks like he was a wonderful family member.

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Agh man, that's tough. :( Especially since it was so sudden. I've been there and it is so hard, I know.
    Pets are God's gift to us but so sad when they go. They are so full of love and devotion.
    I'm so sorry for your loss but it will get better in time.

5. Shan S. macrumors member

Sorry to hear the sad news.. Lost a couple of pets and the suddenness is a tough one.. Just remember him as a puppy it will help with the sadness for now....

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

7. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Sorry to hear :(

I know when this time comes when one of mine passes I'll be a wreck.

8. fenskezen macrumors regular

9. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Best wishes to you and your family at this time.

10. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

Lost my dog this evening.

That is so sad .. I'm really sorry. It's hard to lose your best friend . it's really tough, especially when it's so sudden and out of the blue. We lost our 3 year basset, out of the blue. He was fine one minute, and by midnight he was acting sick, sleeping a lot. Made appt for vet at 700 am... He wasnt able to walk by that time, and died 2 hours later . So sorry for your loss, you gave him a happy life, and loved him.he knew that. You both are in my prayers

11. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

12. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

13. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Sorry for your loss. I had to put my 21 year old cat down and then a few months ago another one of our furries passed away. It is not easy. Remember the good times that you had together and the joy that was brought to you and your family. They will be there to play with when that time comes.

14. steve123 macrumors regular

Sorry to hear of your loss. Soon the pain will yield to the happy memories. Take care.

15. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

fellow fireman/medic here. sad story brother.

stay strong. you did all you can. rip sluggo.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

17. firedept thread starter macrumors 603

firedept

Thank you all for your kind words. I always thought I had a tolerance to this kind of thing. I have seen death hundreds of times. Man did I learn an important thing. Nobody is immune to it.

Sluggo meant a lot to the family and myself. We do have two other dogs and will now put our focus on them. Again, the kind words really help.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I'm sorry too hear about your loss.:(

A pet especially a dog is like a member of the family, always remember you gave Sluggo a great life, that's got to be worth something.

19. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am really sorry for your loss. I don't know what I would do if my Heidi died..

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Really sorry to hear that - I've had dogs all my life and it never gets easier when they pass away

That's the really tough thing with pet ownership - you know from the start that one day they will break your heart :(

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

They may break your heart when they pass away, but they enrich your life and enlarge your heart while they live. Pets are wonderful; they enrich the lives of their families, and they help to teach kids about love and the responsibility that comes with caring while giving reciprocal unconditional adoration.

To the OP: I am truly sorry for your loss; the great memories, and the knowledge that you cherished Sluggo will help you in the days ahead.

Exactly; as always, Happybunny, beautifully said.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Those doggie eyebrows. :eek:
    He looks like he was a great dog. RIP Sluggo.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Sorry for your loss.

We had to put our greyhound down earlier this year. But we knew it was coming as last October she caught a heart infection which damaged her heart valves. So for three months we watched her basically waste away. But she was happy until the end.

It was torture seeing her like that, but I couldn't imagine losing her suddenly either.

Know how it feels. And it sucks that you had no warning.

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

They certainly are, which is why I've always put up with the pain and sorrow of losing them for the joy they bring while they're with us