Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Lost one of my best friends tonight. It is routine when I get home that my bulldog Sluggo and I play tug of war for 10-15 minutes. It is his way of saying hello to me. He was only 7 years old and a beautiful joy to have.

Well I got home from work, as usual we started to play for only about 30 seconds and all of a sudden he flops on his side and stops breathing. I immediately start CPR as my wife is calling the vet. But unfortunately by the time we get to the vet, even with CPR, he had passed.

I will miss him. He was quite a joy. For anyone reading this, it is like losing one of the family. It will be a tough couple of days around here. My teenage boys and wife are taking it hard. Sorry if I am rambling, but I just needed to put something into words.

Damn that sucks and I know how you feel. Sad that it happened so sudden.

I remember having to take one of my dogs to the Vet to get put down, she was old and had cancer. Right before we went inside, a boost of life was brought back into her and she started rolling around the grass and playing with me like she was a healthy puppy. I haven't seen her like that for years. She obviously knew it was her time.

firedept

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Domo and Kuma and I are sorry for your loss our condolences to you and your family! Did they tell you what was the cause?

Yes the vet did. Our vet was especially fond of him so did a necropsy on him for free. She found a torn valve in his heart. She was very surprised because she kept a close eye on his heart because there is a lot of stress on a bully's heart due to their build. She always said he was in perfect health. She told us that he died instantly and suffered no pain.

Sluggo was a favorite at the vet. We could never just go there with him. It was always an hour or more before we could get out because everyone there had to see him. We take very good care of our dogs. The minute we see anything wrong with one of our dogs, we are straight off to the vet with them.

He has been cremated and is currently sitting on our fireplace mantle. It is helping my family grieve. We still have Miss Orleans and Pugslee though.

Attachments

• Orleans 2009_2.JPG
    Orleans 2009_2.JPG
    529.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Pugslee_9.JPG
    Pugslee_9.JPG
    726.2 KB · Views: 65

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine the pain. I have two dogs.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Yes the vet did. Our vet was especially fond of him so did a necropsy on him for free. She found a torn valve in his heart. She was very surprised because she kept a close eye on his heart because there is a lot of stress on a bully's heart due to their build. She always said he was in perfect health. She told us that he died instantly and suffered no pain.

Sluggo was a favorite at the vet. We could never just go there with him. It was always an hour or more before we could get out because everyone there had to see him. We take very good care of our dogs. The minute we see anything wrong with one of our dogs, we are straight off to the vet with them.

He has been cremated and is currently sitting on our fireplace mantle. It is helping my family grieve. We still have Miss Orleans and Pugslee though.

It's sad for them, too and be there 1000% percent for them in this hard time.

TomTomHatesCats

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
New York, NY
It sounds like you were a great dad to Sluggo. You obviously gave him lots of attention and treated him right, and there's nothing more to ask of a pet owner than that. Stay strong and good luck to you.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like Sluggo had a great life and gave you many wonderful memories. What more could a dog ask for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.